The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can we Discuss Frozen semen tanks

Hello,
    I am thinking it is time to purchase a frozen semen tank and I am seeking advice! Do you have any recs as far as brand, models, where to purchase, best prices, etc. Is it difficult to handle the frozen semen? What equipment do I need? Recs/info on dry shippers would also be appreciated.
    TIA
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

sementanks.com have great periodic specials and are a great source of information.

I have been on that site before...but still not really sure what I am looking for. Any other suggestions.
    www.germanridingpony.com

I have two tanks - and older MVE SC 20-20 and a new Millenium XC 20. They are reliable, have a decent time between refills and have served me well. I do not own a shipper, as I rarely sell doses. For my purposes regular storage tanks have been adequate. If you will be selling semen though, you'll probably need the whole set up including a dewar, a semen tank and shippers.

Mary Lou is correct. http://www.sementanks.com has the best prices ANYWHERE and great service. Ask for Janey and she'll take good care of you. I doubt you need more than the Millineum XC-20, unless you're planning on storing a large amount of semen. It has 6 canisters and you can go to the website for specs on how many straws and it's holding time. It's a 20 liter tank and will "hold" for about 20 weeks if you're not in and out of it a lot. We don't recommend going that long - dip it weekly and re-fill once a month - two months at a absolute minimum. Store on blocks of wood or a dolly made for them NOT on concrete.

The current sale price on that is about $499.00, I think, last time I checked. Most places it will run about $600-$650. And, I believe that also includes the shipping.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

We have an MVE with 5 chambers that we use during breeding season. The bulk of our frozen semen is stored with Select Breeders in MD. They transfer what I need for the current year's breeding season and I either pick it up or have a courier bring it up. It last for 3 months with no refill. We did get a discount on the tank we purchased it through Select Breeders
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

What does it cost to refill? Do you take it somewhere to do that? I'm beginning to think it would be more cost effective to have a tank than pay to have semen stored.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

My guy comes every 3 months to refill. It is roughly $50 per refill. He services many cattle breeders (they are very big into frozen) and I am one of the few horse breeders on his rounds.

HAF- who is your guy or his company? I have a container. I'm looking for someone or some company that services them.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I don't know if this is who Home Again uses but I bet they would help you out if they had clients in your area.

ABS Global (they sell frozen semen for cows)
    Jack Diepersloot
    (352)804-2076

Jack is super nice. He is the FL sales manager and he will be able to tell you if there is a rep local to you and if they even offer this service.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Paul Dixon 352-318-0890, 352-466-5011

Thanks everyone!

Kathy, could you explin this "dip it weekly and re-fill once a month". Do you mean have someone come out and refill it once a month? Also, how do dry shippers work exactly. Do you remove some liquid nitrogen from the tank to put in the dry shipper?
    FYI-I am crossing my fingers that you come to Florida on your tour next year as I really want to have my boys frozen

MaryLou, what is a dewar? Is the new tank you have easy to use? Would you buy that model again?

Thanks everyoine for all your help!
    www.germanridingpony.com

Quote Originally Posted by hluing View Post
    Kathy, could you explin this "dip it weekly and re-fill once a month".
    You want to check that tank once a week. You can purchase a "dip stick" from whomever you buy the tank from. It's a black measuring stick (centimeters and inches). You stick it into the tank to the bottom, wait a second for it to get cold, pull it out and wave it so that a frost line appears. This will tell you how many centimeters of nitrogen are left in the tank. If you see a sudden drop in nitrogen - PANIC!!! It means you've probably lost the vacuum on the tank and you have a limited amount of time left before the tank will go dry. Also if you see frost on the tank it is an indication that something may be wrong.

Do you mean have someone come out and refill it once a month?
    WE're not in a location that has service available. Others have already given the contact information for American Breeder Services (ABS). They are nationwide for anyone here looking for service and specialize in cattle semen, but will stop by and fill horse semen tanks if they are along the route. If you don't have access to ABS, a local welding/gas shop will usually have nitrogen available

Also, how do dry shippers work exactly. Do you remove some liquid nitrogen from the tank to put in the dry shipper?
    Dry shippers have absorbent material in them that absorbs the liquid nitrogen. You "charge" them over a 24 hour period preferably and repeatedly fill them during that time. After 24 hours, the absorbent material should be completely saturated and you pour off the excess nitrogen. You can use some from your regular tank, but it does take about 10 to 15 liters to charge a "hot" (has NO nitrogen in it at all) dry shipper, so probably not the route you want to go. They will hold a charge for about two weeks, however, if they have been charged properly.

FYI-I am crossing my fingers that you come to Florida on your tour next year as I really want to have my boys frozen
    We are cutting back considerably on the number of courses we are doing, although we will still do periodic freeze "tours".

MaryLou, what is a dewar?
    Not Mary Lou, but I'll answer. A dewar is a tank that is used to fill other tanks. Usually a smaller tank just used to transport nitrogen

Is the new tank you have easy to use? Would you buy that model again?
    A 20 liter tank is probably the smallest tank we would recommend and is usually more than adequate in size for most small breeders. They are relatively easy to use and certainly easy enough to transport to get more nitrogen if you can't have nitrogen delivered.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

Default great seller from ebay

I have purchased 2 tanks, a shipper, and shipper container from "janeyquick" on ebay. These are direct shipped from MVE. Can't beat the prices.

Also, the Millineum XC-20 is definitely the best choice for private owner storage. I would rather have 2-3 of these verses a larger single tank.
    Zaffiro Farm - Tewksbury, NJ - French, Dutch, German Warmblood Breeding
    info@zaffirofarm.com ; www.zaffirofarm.com
    Proud breeder in the Continental Studbook www.continentalstudbook.com

Sorry I can't really help with the semen tank question. I use only fresh semen but we get most of our supplies from Minitube (http://www.minitube.com/). I know they have semen tanks, but you may be able to get better prices elsewhere. You can get liquid nitrogen from Airgas (http://www.airgas.com).

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. I have another question. Do you insure your frozen doses? If so, any advice...companies, costs, etc.
    www.germanridingpony.com