The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default My sad, sad day...courtesy of the 4th of July

So I'm fairly limited in my activity at the moment because of my (SLOWLY) healing broken leg and lovely morning sickness. My husband sweetly offered to check on the horses at the crack of dawn this morning once the fireworks were done. We checked on the horses during the night and they were handling things *okay*....at least until the neighbors started setting off strings of M80s. Anyhow, he came back in and said, "you'd better call the vet."

My beautiful, beautiful just-turned-5-yo TB prospect:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22849...94686761WcLmmv
    somehow broke her leg last night and we had to put her down this afternoon after a frantic day of x-rays and vet/surgery consults. It was so hard to look her in the eye as she was put down knowing that she was perfectly fine yesterday and maybe if I had just kept her in a stall, or tranquilized her, or ANYTHING she might still be alive. She'd been through the fireworks out here before and handled it like a pro, so we didn't anticipate any problems this year. But I guess the nice weather was too much for the neighbors and we had the worst fireworks I've ever heard for about 5 hours last night. When the strings of M80s started all of the horses lost it.

I'm so angry and heartbroken and every other emotion I can think of. I read the posts about people having to put down horses and pray every time that I won't have to be in that position any time soon. I certainly never expected for my 5yo to be the one to put me there. My poor little girl.

ETA: this is a re-post of my original thread in 2007. A big thank you to everyone who's sent on condolences and PMs about it.....hopefully this year will be less eventful.
    Last edited by PNWjumper; Jun. 30, 2008 at 01:41 AM.

Default PNW...

how horrible for all of you. My condolences go out to you and your husband.

I am so very sorry.

OMG. My heart just aches for you. I am sosososososososososo sorry you had to go through that.. that your poor girl had to go through that. But dont blame yourself. Theres always something that we will think that we could have done, should have done. But that doesnt change the past unfortunately. *hugs* to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I am so sorry. She was a beautiful horse. ((Hugs))

I'm so sorry. My condolences on your loss.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Ouch.

I know it doesn't make it hurt any less, but, well, they're horses, they do these things. Sure, you could keep them in every 4th (and during every wind/thunderstorm, at any time when there's going to be an unexpected loud noise...), but you KNOW they'd still find a way to hurt themselves. Don't beat yourself up too much; in hindsight, you'd do it differently, but then, how many of us don't have 20/20 hindsight?

Hugs.

Oh no, I am SO sorry for your loss
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I am so sorry for the loss of your lovely gray mare. About 50 scenerios are running through my mind of how I would inform my neighbors that their pleasure destroyed my pleasure. Bottom line, I would be in the County Slammer waiting for my husband to bail me out.

Again, my sincere condolences on your loss.

I am so, so sorry. It's hard enough to have to put one down that's elderly and you know it's their time to go....but this....ugh. I just don't know what to say other then I'm so very sorry.

Oh man PNW. I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely mare! Sometimes freak things happen and all we're left with is the "What if?"s. It sure doesn't make the loss any easier to take though. Hugs to you in this difficult time..

How awful, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you PNW.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Oh, I'm sooooooooo sorry. That's just terrible... She was a gorgeous mare, and I'm so very sorry for your loss. Jingles and prayers that you can get through this tough time.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I think it's especially hard when we lose them while they are young, whatever the circumstances. She looks like she was a lovely mare, and she was blessed to share her life with so caring an owner as you, however briefly.

Please try not to play the what-if game. I say that knowing that we all do. I lost my horse after a year-long illness, and even after all that time I still wondered what if. It's worst in these first few days, so just hang in there and know that you gave her the very best care you could and did the only right thing for her in the end.

Please take care of yourself. I'll be thinking of you.
    R D Lite "Reuben" (Put Em Up x Scheme for a Dream-Drouilly) 1997-2006

So sorry for your loss.

OMG I am so sorry for your loss! She was gorgeous! **HUGS** I know that no words can be enough to soothe your pain, but just know that she is not hurting anymore and is running free in the green pastures in the sky. *HUGS*

I am soooo sorry to hear that. I was so thankful that mine took everything like a trooper. She only startled twice, and one of those was an m80. TG they (neighbors) couldn't afford more than 2....

I am very sorry for your loss.
    Arab Dressage Riders Clique

So very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful mare. I hope you have many good memories. I'd really like to say something to help you through this, but I guess there are no words. I am so sorry for your loss and am sending many hugs to you.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Oh PNW, I am sooooo sorry to hear about your beautiful mare I'm sending you ((((((hugs)))))). I wish there was something more I could do...but know you will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

I could hardly bring myself to read your post, I had a feeling this is what it would say. I am very sorry about all that happened!

Do the neighbors know about it?

Your mare was beautiful and had a very kind face!