The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

And one particular poster ALWAYS comes in and starts stirring the proverbial pot.
    I wonder why he is not out rounding up the dogies instead of sitting at the computer?

The fact is that both sides feel equally strong and theere is little chance either will change. Livestock slaughter and horse slaughter are just different in this counbtry. It's like the difference between dogs here and in some far eastern countries. We don't eat them; they do. Culture dictates our sense of right and wrong with animal slaughter. And to me, in the US, the METHODS of slaughtering an animal who has worked hard to please you and has been handled daily since birth by humans, been brushed and bathed and petted on, are simply wrong, ethically as well as in a humane sense.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

LOL Rounding up the doggies? Once again someone who has no clue but the need to decide when people should be on their PC. Sad at best.

I agree culture dictates what people eat some cultures eat horse I have no problem with that or any other culture. But if we should not eat any species of animal thats handled dailt, petted, bathed, and cared for we wouldn't eat meat at all. Some people do those things with every species there is.

BTW MRF I'm not stirring a thing any more then you are like I said on many of these threads anti slaughter people ask where I am. And its rare I enter one unless theres false information being given.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Regardless of your feelings about slaughter it is a fact that very nice horses end up there every day because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time (say an Arabian in QH country) or owned by the wrong (from the horse's POV) people. This is especially true with TBs it seems as a lot of racetrackers can't envision a life for a racehorse beyond the track OR just don't want to bother. But good horses of all breeds get slaughtered.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Regardless of your feelings about slaughter it is a fact that very nice horses end up there every day because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time (say an Arabian in QH country) or owned by the wrong (from the horse's POV) people. This is especially true with TBs it seems as a lot of racetrackers can't envision a life for a racehorse beyond the track OR just don't want to bother. But good horses of all breeds get slaughtered.
    Regardless of your feelings about anything, when someone owns a horse they can determine what they want to do with it, at least as far as I know that is still so in the USA.

Since there are no homes for all the horses out there, it is disingenuous to expect all the horses out there to find one.
    Ask the rescues.

That some of those horses are going to slaughter, if anyone likes it or not, is right now one way those extra unwanted horses are disposed of.

Thanks to the sudden interest by those animal groups making banning slaughter their cause of the moment to gather oodles of donations with, the last few years and the misguided way everyone went about this, we still have slaughter, but now outsorced to other countries, not exactly an improvement.

If you want to stop talking about slaughter here, better quit bringing it up yourself and not expect someone to answer.

I agree nice horses get slaughtered its no differant then any species of livestock not much market for poor quality animals in the meat world.

County, you have a forward slash in your signature in the word "doesn't".

I know, it doesn't bother me at all.

I am newish.. more a lurker than anything. Bad topic to jump in on. Please don't shoot the messenger. This is a tough topic to discuss. Like pro life vs pro choice there will be division. I am pro life, but I don't know where I stand on slaughter. Death has to be better than being neglcted in some one's field not every rescue has a happy ending. I hate the manner in which all animals are butchered, but I still eat meat, sometimes veal too. And I hate veal huts!
    I love horse racing. BUT I hate some of the people and practices in it.
    I guess my thoughts are you can't save everyone, as much as we'd all like to. They give their lives for our enjoyment. Never a better quote.