The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lrkrame2 View Post
    OI vey.. I'm just curiously trying to figure out how a conversation about a quality horse that was 'saved' from the slaughterline turned into equine vs. bovine attitudes and slaughter mentality???
    I think this is why back in the good old days, Erin gave up and banned all slaughter threads. LOL

(I know, I contribute to the madness, but sometimes I see stuff it's really, really hard to ignore!)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Yeah -that was a smart decision on Erin's part.

For my part -I hope this horse finds a nice home. If all of them had nice homes - there'd be no need to argue. Over horse slaughter, anyway.

Cuz the assumptions about cattle are way off. People don't even seem to realize temperaments vary among breed.

As far as racing goes - I think racing folks get just as peeved when people make outlandish and inaccurate statements about racing. Like Eight Belles being whipped across the finish line, or 90% of all TB's end up at slaughter, yatta yatta.

A lie makes it halfway around the world before truth gets its shoes on. that goes for racing as well as any other issue. I sure got hot under the collar when my mother called to ask me if I'd sign a petition asking that Eight Belles jockey be suspended for whipping her. No effing way!!!

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I haven't read the entire thread, but if it is about slaughter, County probably found it, started about other livestock, and with mis-spellings, grammatical gaps, and syntax deprivation, has you all going on about killing everything with feathers or four legs.

I do not eat cow. I do not eat horse. I will eat a chicken, but if I had to kill it, probably wouldn't eat that, either.

In any event, I am thrilled that my friend Christy S. saved another one, with the help of all of her angels. I am going up to pick up another one she saved next week, and give him a new life.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

ha ASB you pretty much nailed it on the head.. Could you PM me Christy's information? I'd love the have the contact when it comes to 'placing' some retiree's...

I like the quote Jswan with the lieing and its very very true..

Thanks but don't give me the credit. It's an old saying - perhaps by Mark Twain.

I find it usually applies to most situations in which I find myself.

Good luck helping those horses.

Default re: I guess I am Johnny come lately

Do not mean to beat a dead horse (please don' kill me for this pun) my sweet husband said this to me this morning to get my attention (no that is not what he meant).
    I like JSwan's saying no matter where it originated but I also have heard that bad news spreads faster than good news. I guess we don't get much good news these days do we?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Angry

[QUOTE=Bluey;3233126]Since when is questionable to make a profit from a business?
    That is what built our country, honestly.

You also must have watched too many movies and read too many westerns, to believe that "cattle ranchers are rich and powerful".

My goodness, what ideas people have of what they don't know anything about.
    Like a blind man trying to describe an elephant, by touch.[/

Perhaps you have never heard of lobbyists who represent the cattle industry? No, I don't watch westerns. I follow the political issues and see which senators have been reaping the financial rewards of big business.
    As far as the horse slaughter houses, yep, the ones making money are the foreigners. What a boon to the US economy to fetch a big $300 for a live horse and ship it to Canada or Mexico. Then the foreign slaughterhouse owners make millions off of the measely $300 they paid you for Dobbin.
    Rolling my eyes right back at ya!!!:

A lie makes it halfway around the world before truth gets its shoes on. that goes for racing as well as any other issue. I sure got hot under the collar when my mother called to ask me if I'd sign a petition asking that Eight Belles jockey be suspended for whipping her. No effing way!!![/QUOTE]

I wish she had more room and money to save some more of those beauties. I heard it was a very sad day at New Holland last Monday. Way too many horses left for Canada.

[QUOTE=ASB Stars;3233201]I haven't read the entire thread, but if it is about slaughter, County probably found it, started about other livestock, and with mis-spellings, grammatical gaps, and syntax deprivation, has you all going on about killing everything with feathers or four legs.

Thanks for the warning. I see the misspellings already on the wall.

[QUOTE=Floridarider;3233584]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Since when is questionable to make a profit from a business?
    That is what built our country, honestly.

You also must have watched too many movies and read too many westerns, to believe that "cattle ranchers are rich and powerful".

My goodness, what ideas people have of what they don't know anything about.
    Like a blind man trying to describe an elephant, by touch.[/

Perhaps you have never heard of lobbyists who represent the cattle industry? No, I don't watch westerns. I follow the political issues and see which senators have been reaping the financial rewards of big business.
    As far as the horse slaughter houses, yep, the ones making money are the foreigners. What a boon to the US economy to fetch a big $300 for a live horse and ship it to Canada or Mexico. Then the foreign slaughterhouse owners make millions off of the measely $300 they paid you for Dobbin.
    Rolling my eyes right back at ya!!!:
    Ever seen the money the animal rights groups, under all kinds of names, have to play with, with no one to be accountable to?
    Considerably more than ALL the animal agriculture groups put together.
    Talking about WHO is rich and who lobbyies with that money.
    Click on, say, HSUS:

http://www.activistcash.com/

---"ActivistCash.com, a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom, provides the public and media with in-depth profiles of anti-consumer activist groups, along with information about the sources of their exorbitant funding.

Despite their innocent-sounding names, many of these organizations are financial Goliaths that use junk science, intimidation tactics, and even threats of violence to push their radical agendas. We've analyzed over 500,000 pages of IRS records to bring you a comprehensive snapshot of where their money comes from, tracking more than $800 million to date. "---

Instead, HSUS spends millions on programs that seek to economically cripple meat and dairy producers; eliminate the use of animals in biomedical research labs; phase out pet breeding, zoos, and circus animal acts; and demonize hunters as crazed lunatics. HSUS spends $2 million each year on travel expenses alone, just keeping its multi-national agenda going.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    I know - now you are telling me this is an unbiased report?????? The above quote is from this very report. It all depends on your viewpoint and your beliefs. I don't eat animals, and that is my choice. You can do whatever you want, but it doesn't mean that at any time I am going to stop trying to end horse slaughter. Go read some of the donations that Goodlatte received during his campaign. Oh and let's not forget the perverted senator with the bathroom fetish and his issues. Yep, politics make strange bed fellows, and their donations add up to way more than the HSUS.

Again, I thought this thread was about the wonderful save of a retired tb who now has a bright future instead of a captive bolt. Save me your histrionics because I am all for the horses and not for the slaughterhouses nor for the same old excuses echoing poor ownership responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridarider View Post
    A lie makes it halfway around the world before truth gets its shoes on. that goes for racing as well as any other issue. I sure got hot under the collar when my mother called to ask me if I'd sign a petition asking that Eight Belles jockey be suspended for whipping her. No effing way!!!
    I wish she had more room and money to save some more of those beauties. I heard it was a very sad day at New Holland last Monday. Way too many horses left for Canada.[/quote]

It's a nice thought but I'M the one helping animals in need, not my mother. Some folks get their knickers in a twist for all the wrong reasons - like PeTA or HSUS alerts full of misinformation. So no, I did not support those who wanted to crucify the jockey. And I wish that some of the money these groups raised exploiting Barbaro's injury was actually used to help horses in need - a lot of rescues could have done a lot of good with those millions.

You'll find that pro-slaughter people are as concerned and active in animal welfare issues than some groups would have you think. The best change always comes from within - not from outsiders running around calling us animal murderers.

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I've been around cattle all my life and butchered 1000's of them. There not like you describe in the least and if you think there somehow differant then a horse when lined up at a slaughter plant you obviously haved slaughtered many.
    Who can even make sense of these words?

"There"? Where???
    "then"? WHEN???
    "haved"? HUH?!? You mean "halved"? "have"? Or what?

I take it English is your second language, then.

BTW, I said "pet food" in my post, not "pet food COMPANIES".

Go back and read it again, if you don't believe me.

Oh, wait. You obviously can't read any better than you can write or spell.

Furthermore, my POINT was that ANY or ALL animals going to slaughter, are NOT always going there for food purposes. Human or otherwise.
    Duh.

"So tell me Wally; how do you deal with all these a-holes?"

"I don't"

Don't get wound up re: County's posts. I used to as well but have found better things to do with my time. He likes to chirp in on every slaughter thread and tick people off.

Anyhow, great news re: the horse saved. As mentioned by many, pedigree means nothing to a killer buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by LouLove View Post
    Don't get wound up re: County's posts. I used to as well but have found better things to do with my time. He likes to chirp in on every slaughter thread and tick people off.

Anyhow, great news re: the horse saved. As mentioned by many, pedigree means nothing to a killer buyer.
    LOL The thread wasn't even about slaughter. It was about the rescue of a lucky horse indeed.

Just for (my) fun here is a post from the message board on my own site from Valentine's day, 2005. Thinking of this day still gives me goosebumps. The end result was I gelded him and he went to live at TRF, don't know if he was adopted or not.

A few years ago I got an opportunity to purchase a nicely bred mare named Found Our Star (I loved that name) for $400. She had her last foal get hung up in her and had to be taken out in pieces and it understandably freaked her owner out and he decided to get out of the business. He was more concerned with her getting a good home than he was with getting a good price for her, that is why she was so cheap.
    Her foals had done well at the races, but there was one that really impressed me. His name is Little Me Too. He won allowances at Saratoga and Delaware and a $50,000 claimer at Gulfstream earning over $200,000. It was because of him that I bought her, hoping to breed another runner like him. I put him in my virtual stable and followed his career online.
    Fast forward to the breeders cup 2003. We were in California to watch the races when we got word that Found Our Star twisted her gut. She was in shock by the time the vet arrived and ended up being put down, so I never got a foal from her.
    Fast forward to this weekend. I spent the weekend trying to ignore this feeling that I had to go to the sale at New Holland on Monday (today). I hate going there for many reasons, but mainly because I can't save them all and I really can't afford to save any of them. Last time that feeling sent me there I ended up coming home with a horse named Stretch Your Faith. How could I ignore that one!
    I really thought in my head that I was going there in case those missing mares from the auction showed up because I knew it would be a fiasco and that Kelly would need all the help she could get if that happened. The mares weren't there and the sale was almost over and I actually thought to myself that it looked like I would make it out of there without buying anything.
    In to the holding area walks this big 16.2? gorgeous chestnut stallion. He definitely caught my eye, but so did his giant left ankle, so I didn't think much of it. I then noticed that he actually came with his jockey club papers (most horses at this sale don't come with papers) The holder was showing the papers to everyone in the area so I decided to walk over and take a look. Imagine my shock when I realized the horse standing in front of me was no other than Little Me Too. I watched as he was purchased by the meat man and led to the kill pen. I have bought more rescues this year than race horses, this is definitely not in the budget. I am only one person, I can only do so much, I have done my fair share, I can't save them all. I went through all these arguments in my head. And then I said "Ok God, I hear you." And I wrote out the check for $400, just like the one I wrote for his mother.
    So now I have a stud horse with a cantaloupe for an ankle. I guess I will await further instructions as to where to go from here. I think I am just along for the ride on this one. BTW we retrieved his papers from the garbage can after the sale was over. They saw that he was bought by the meat man and knew he wouldn't be needing them where he was going.

Good Karma to you, Laurierace. Figure out yet what is wrong?
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

LOL, Yep its the typical anti slaughter people posting away. Lets see now theres the proper English ones, the oh he trys to get people all worked up ones, the ones that back track on their statements, the snide remarks, the personal type attacks, pretty much everything but address the issue. The best part is I never knew this forum even existed until a anti slaughter person asked me here for a veiw from the pro slaughter side. Many times on these threads anti slaughter people ask where I am.

Theres two sides to the issue and two groups of people. Since some seem to think all pro slaughter people think one way I'll go with all anti slaughter people do the same. That would be the ones who hope and wish those who eat horse meat will get sick and or die from it. And they feel shutting down the U.S. plants then sending horses to Mex. was a good thing.

Two differant classes of people. Pretty easy for me to decide which ones I'd rather be lined up with.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm EBO View Post
    Good Karma to you, Laurierace. Figure out yet what is wrong?
    As I said, that post was from 2005, he has been a part of the TRF program for three years now. Last I heard he was at the prison in New York, not sure if he is still there or not. The ankle had numerous things wrong with them. None of the injuries were catastrophic but it was obvious he had continued to race on them instead of letting each one heal and it kind of snowballed. He was pasture sound when he left.

As per Laurierace's recent posts, please rein the thread back in from the general slaughter discussion, for which there are always several open threads to which people can be referred for information.

The slaughter discussion is not entirely unlike the barefoot vs. shod situation on this board. Parties with often diametrically opposing views both hang out here, so it's natural for those opinions to clash whenever related topics arise. There's nothing wrong with the discussion, but it's a problem when the same arguments repeatedly overtake threads about other topics that are peripherally related.

As we're trying to do with the hoof threads, keep the larger, general discussion off of the threads started for other, more specific topics.

Soooo, with that in mind back to the original topic.

Thanks,
    Mod 1