The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And your point is?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Obviously you know very little about the slaughter industry. When a referance is made to a " live " animal it means one thats slaughtered. When a referance is made to a " dead " animal it means one that has died and cannot be used for meat regardless of use. What can be used from dead animals is at rendering plants there many products are made from them. One of those products is " meat by-products for pet foods. Meat that has not yet spoiled is cut out and frozen in 50 lb blocks and then sold to pet food companies for varous uses.

And obviously you have neither spell check, or a sense of humor

I suggest you check out what is commonly fed to racing Greyhounds.

Against the law you say?
    Since when did that ever stop anyone?

What in the world does spell check have to do with the issue?

If you beleive pet food companies use fresh horse meat go right ahead and beleive it I'm just saying what the law is.

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

Now WHERE did you get that I said pet food COMPANIES?!?

Nice jumper, there. To conclusions.

You made the statement in post #16. Me thinks your the jumper here not me.

Okay,

So i know many are thinking it.. but its amazing how off topic these 'slaughter' threads get.. especially lately.. I think the OP was just stating how shocked they were at a quality horse about to be put on the truck. I don't think they were looking to get everyone rilled up (Again and again and again) Regardless of what the eventually killed or dddd or whatever the byproduct is used for it is still an unhappy situation from most perspectives... I've gotten numerous calls from the Kill buyer up here to come look at horses that were "to nice to chop their head off" ( and yes thats an actual quote).. People need to look at this as what it is, a 'dark' industry that is often hidden under America's bedsheets...

So lets not get all riled up at eachother and point blame and wag fingers... lets just address the issues, either offer help to these organizations, or don't.. its up to you completely and your not a bad person one way or the other for your views...

Quote Originally Posted by lrkrame2 View Post
    Okay,

So i know many are thinking it.. but its amazing how off topic these 'slaughter' threads get.. especially lately.. I think the OP was just stating how shocked they were at a quality horse about to be put on the truck. I don't think they were looking to get everyone rilled up (Again and again and again) Regardless of what the eventually killed or dddd or whatever the byproduct is used for it is still an unhappy situation from most perspectives... I've gotten numerous calls from the Kill buyer up here to come look at horses that were "to nice to chop their head off" ( and yes thats an actual quote).. People need to look at this as what it is, a 'dark' industry that is often hidden under America's bedsheets...

So lets not get all riled up at eachother and point blame and wag fingers... lets just address the issues, either offer help to these organizations, or don't.. its up to you completely and your not a bad person one way or the other for your views...
    Well said..

I honestly never have understood the mind set that slaughter is some sort of dark industry? We've been eating livestock since the dawn of time theres hardly anything new about it regardless of the species of animal.

Cows and horses are not alike.

Cows (bovines) have been bred for many centuries to be docile, dull-witted, and quiet. Horses certainly have not. In many respects, the instincts and reactions of horses are those of a wild animal.

I eat wild animals, but they are not first chased around a ring, jammed into a trailer, hauled long distances, put into a place where they can smell fear, blood and death etc, etc, before being killed.

To go through this whole process is much more traumatic for a horse than for a cow, because of the very nature of the beast.

Uh - you haven't been around a lot of cows, have you.

They're not as "dull" and "dim-witted" and "quiet" as you suppose. Try handling them and raising them. There's a reason the Farm Bureau keeps harping on us about safety. It's not just tractors and implements that are injuring us!

Having had a pet cow as a child, and being around them, I think I would argue the docile and dull-witted... to me the main difference is agility/athleticism. But they seem every bit as capable of being trained, connecting with people, and from what I remember they were quite skittish. Most of the cows on my family's farm were very suspicious of people despite being handled daily (except, of course, for those given the "pet" treatment) and would scatter if they encountered a person outside of the routine. I'm not sure I'd call that "docile." Also seen them panic completely when one was injured badly and there was blood around.

You may see cattle every day and handle them, and come to that conclusion, which is fine as it's just a difference of opinion. But I've also seen this opinion from folks who have never been near a cow in their lives, and it bothers me. I really think the main difference between cattle and horses is the purpose for which we use them and the value we, as people, place upon them. Not really the main intent of this thread, but whatever.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Yes, I have been around quite a few cows. And there are some smart ones, and some mean ones. Also consider how little individual attention each cow gets these days -- hardly touched except for AI, shots, or to have a milking machine put on. Would your average horse be as tame as your average cow if it had that little handling? I doubt it. Horses and cows are as diferent as their digestive processes. (If horses had 4-chambered stomachs too, we wouldn't see so much colic!) They are both mammals, but they are not alike.

I could make an exception for truly wild range cattle.

I've been around cattle all my life and butchered 1000's of them. There not like you describe in the least and if you think there somehow differant then a horse when lined up at a slaughter plant you obviously haved slaughtered many.

I'm going to get off here now. I think I must be sleep-deprived. (Is there an icon for that?)

I would be interested to see a vet's opinion on the cow reaction/horse reaction question.

I'm going away now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rienzi View Post
    I'm going to get off here now. I think I must be sleep-deprived. (Is there an icon for that?)

I would be interested to see a vet's opinion on the cow reaction/horse reaction question.

I'm going away now.
    Yes, a vet will explain this to you well.

I am with those that think you have only seen cows in pictures, the way you describe them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Theres a number of anti slaughter people that make statements that are obviously false. My question is if a pro slaughter person does and that means all pro slaughter people think that way does it work then that any anti slaughter person that makes a crazy statement put all of that side in the same group? One way street or two?
    It is up to the individual to separate the truth from the lies. Each side has an obvious agenda, but remember that the pro slaughter side is financed by the beef industry. Their agenda is not to take care of the excess horses. They fear that the end of horse slaughter will be the beginning of the end of cattle slaughter. Of course there is no relevance, but the cattle ranchers are a rich and powerful type for sure.
    As far as the statement that horses are no different than cows being slaughtered is not true. Horses are not raised as food animals, and since it is illegal to sell horsemeat in the US, the only ones getting rich are the slaughterhouses overseas and the companies selling horsemeat as delicacies. They don't care about the unwanted horses and they are not doing any one any service. They are just making piles of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridarider View Post
    It is up to the individual to separate the truth from the lies. Each side has an obvious agenda, but remember that the pro slaughter side is financed by the beef industry. Their agenda is not to take care of the excess horses. They fear that the end of horse slaughter will be the beginning of the end of cattle slaughter. Of course there is no relevance, but the cattle ranchers are a rich and powerful type for sure.
    As far as the statement that horses are no different than cows being slaughtered is not true. Horses are not raised as food animals, and since it is illegal to sell horsemeat in the US, the only ones getting rich are the slaughterhouses overseas and the companies selling horsemeat as delicacies. They don't care about the unwanted horses and they are not doing any one any service. They are just making piles of money.
    Since when is questionable to make a profit from a business?
    That is what built our country, honestly.

You also must have watched too many movies and read too many westerns, to believe that "cattle ranchers are rich and powerful".

My goodness, what ideas people have of what they don't know anything about.
    Like a blind man trying to describe an elephant, by touch.

Default Here We Go ...

Here we go, here we go, here we go....I do not understand why anyone on this forum will try to talk to "County" .. she does NOT listen and to be honest she is so for the slaughter of horses. It just makes my stomach turn. Please do not waste your time with trying to have a converstation with her... IT is NOT going to happen..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My goodness, what ideas people have of what they don't know anything about.
    Like a blind man trying to describe an elephant, by touch.
    OI vey.. I'm just curiously trying to figure out how a conversation about a quality horse that was 'saved' from the slaughterline turned into equine vs. bovine attitudes and slaughter mentality???

I think that everyone who likes to get on here to bicker and battle needs to find something more productive to do... personally.. i have 90 stalls that need to get cleaned daily... Anyone wanna pass some time doing that????

this is a racing board... can we get back to the RACING?

Quote Originally Posted by lrkrame2 View Post
    OI vey.. I'm just curiously trying to figure out how a conversation about a quality horse that was 'saved' from the slaughterline turned into equine vs. bovine attitudes and slaughter mentality???

I think that everyone who likes to get on here to bicker and battle needs to find something more productive to do... personally.. i have 90 stalls that need to get cleaned daily... Anyone wanna pass some time doing that????

this is a racing board... can we get back to the RACING?
    Be my guest.

Don't need to quote me, I came to this after everyone long got out of topic and on silly tangents.