The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Amazing Horse at Slaughter??

I cannot believe this horse was found in a kill line at slaughter. Look at his bloodlines, not to mention he is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm not advertising.. I just found him on accident while looking at an Oldenburg. This colt is just soo nice and with those amazing bloodline.. I had to show you racing people. I’m shocked he was at slaughter.. unreal.

To Here: http://ac4h.com/

Look up: Gimme The Wine

He does have a nice pedigree...so glad they rescued him!

I'm also a sucker for Chestnuts with white.. pretty guy!

I am so glad they rescued him! He is very handsome and chestnuts w/ blazes are the best!

The other TB "Comes A Tide" is a real looker too!

Hessy, don't be surprised at the quality of the horses that are butchered. Beautiful horses go to slaughter every single day. Remember that Exceller was slaughtered, as was Ferdinand. The pro-slaughter side would have you believe that only the old and infirm are sent to slaughter, but that's just another lie. The killers like the young, well-muscled horses, and also like to send pregnant mares through in order to boost the price (per pound).
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

The pro slaughter side would have you beleive trhat I'm EBO? No actually thats a lie the anti slaughter side came up with. The pro slaughter side has always said the majority by far are young healthy horses the same as the slaughter of any animal. Why would anyone want meat from sick, scrawny animals?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Hey! My $600,000+ winning, twice VA Bred horse of the year ended up in the kill pen! No horse is immune.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Same folks who saved Little Cliff. I can only imagine the beautiful poor souls who are shipped off to slaughter. What a terrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    The pro slaughter side would have you beleive trhat I'm EBO? No actually thats a lie the anti slaughter side came up with. The pro slaughter side has always said the majority by far are young healthy horses the same as the slaughter of any animal. Why would anyone want meat from sick, scrawny animals?
    Actually you are incorrect. Jim Tucker from Cavel while being interviewed said that he was providing a service for Americans by taking the sick and old horses and slaughtering them.

And he beleives he is doing that, theres anti slaughter people who beleive you can give a horse bute with a broken leg and it still can run. Is that true?

And he beleives he is doing that, theres anti slaughter people who beleive you can give a horse bute with a broken leg and it still can run. Is that true?
    Who are the anti slaughter people saying "you can give a horse bute with a broken leg and it still can run".
    I don't think it is possible to give a horse enough bute to make a horse not feel a broken leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Who are the anti slaughter people saying "you can give a horse bute with a broken leg and it still can run".
    I don't think it is possible to give a horse enough bute to make a horse not feel a broken leg.
    LOL... a new member here, cloudyandcallie, has been posting that she took her dog's bute and understands why horses can run "on broken legs" if they've been given it.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Theres a number of anti slaughter people that make statements that are obviously false. My question is if a pro slaughter person does and that means all pro slaughter people think that way does it work then that any anti slaughter person that makes a crazy statement put all of that side in the same group? One way street or two?

I've never been under the impression that only the sick and lame went. All kinds go there. You just have to go to any auction to know that. I prefer to think of them as unwanted; that seems to be a bit more accurate.

Glad this horse was saved - he seems like a nice horse.

I don't think a pedigree should matter that much - not when deciding which horse to "save". One of my horses came through New Holland - and though he has no papers you could not ask for a more wonderful horse. Not a TB though - there's no greater equine athlete than a TB. The ultimate sporthorse.

Horse slaughter is no differant then the slaughter of any other species of livestock. Never has been.

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

What you people are seeming to forget (which doesn't surprise me), is that there are, in fact, TWO separate "killer" markets for livestock - and horses:

1. Those marketed for HUMAN food.

2. The *DDD&D animals for pet food, glue, etc.

The "4 Ds" can indeed be old, scrawny, sick, infirm.

* Diseased, down, Dead, & Dying - which, btw, is what is used for racing Greyhound food. Or so I read.

It has been against the law to use horse meat from live horses in pet foods since the 70's.

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

It has been against the law to use horse meat from live horses in pet foods since the 70's.
    I'll bet.
    I'm pretty sure they kill the horses first.

Obviously you know very little about the slaughter industry. When a referance is made to a " live " animal it means one thats slaughtered. When a referance is made to a " dead " animal it means one that has died and cannot be used for meat regardless of use. What can be used from dead animals is at rendering plants there many products are made from them. One of those products is " meat by-products for pet foods. Meat that has not yet spoiled is cut out and frozen in 50 lb blocks and then sold to pet food companies for varous uses.

Actually you are incorrect. Jim Tucker from Cavel while being interviewed said that he was providing a service for Americans by taking the sick and old horses and slaughtering them.
    I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Jim Tucker is pro-slaughter, yes?

And, according to some reports I've read, one of the TX plants is still slaughtering the DDDD. Correct or not? Although the anti-horse slaughter movement is to stop the practice and export of horses for slaughter for human consumption, the killer buyers are pretty much prohibiting the slaughter of DDDDs by not buying them. So much for the "altruistic" motives touted by asshat Tucker and his ilk.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi