The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

you know, months ago I joked (half joked, anyway) to a friend that if ever a horse needed the Equine Witness Protection Plan, it was Capone. Maybe it all worked out for him?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    Weren't there quite a few questions about who actually owned Capone? IIRC, there were holding/shell companies set up.

I hope against hope that the horse winds up in a good situation. And I hope that horse was "rescued", not stolen.

What a waste of talent - that horse should have been left with Kyle King
    I think insurance might be difficult to get if ownership is in dispute. You need to own a horse to insure it. So if there were legal wranglings going on about who owned the horse, I could see an insurer being unwilling to insure.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

link to TV Interview & Story from KOMOTV:

http://www.komotv.com/news/19126674.html

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    Maybe creditors were after him and wanted to repo Capone, you never know if he had used him for some type of colateral. What do you think?
    Once I heard that he wasn't insured, this was my thought, too. Something's sure fishy about the whole thing anyway-

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    you know, months ago I joked (half joked, anyway) to a friend that if ever a horse needed the Equine Witness Protection Plan, it was Capone. Maybe it all worked out for him?
    THAT'S IT!!! Wouldn't that be great?
    Work - feed - ride - shovel poop - repeat.

Default wackos

thanks to all for telling us that the owner was so wacko.
    I hope the horse is ok and doesn't end up like Shugar (sp) in Ireland.
    and isn't Curlin in limbo with his owners in trouble for swindling people?????

Somehow i can't imagine keeping stallions that are supposed to be worth so much in that type of setting.even my very pregnant mare could get over the sides if she was so inclined.
    mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs-n-Frodo View Post
    I kind of wonder if he "took" the stallion himself!

Interesting thought.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I still can't get past the idea that someone named Spink who has his, um, er, tastes named his farm Exit Point. But maybe that's just me.

I couldn't get past that either...but I was afraid to verbalize it. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I still can't get past the idea that someone named Spink who has his, um, er, tastes named his farm Exit Point. But maybe that's just me.

I think Capone ran away to an emergency shelter for abused horses. The dogs were in on it.

Didn't the name EXIT POINT come from the fact that Spinks used to "mountain jump" for lack of a better description, and the point of the jump, was called the EXIT POINT???
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Someone on "another board" in Canada says she knows where he is at and that he hasn't been stolen and is with the real owner. This all seems incredibly fishy to me...
    Horses are the way into a woman's heart!

In the news story, they only refer to Spink as the manager and trainer, not the owner ("the owner did not have the horse insured")...so, is that true, or did Doug give them that information?

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Here in another well written article, this one in fact does mention his drug conviction:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/Amazing...4911317&page=1

OMG, this is crazy! This guys should not be allowed to own horses... there is always so much drama wrapped around him.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Default Horse-napping

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I hope the horse is ok and doesn't end up like Shugar (sp) in Ireland.
    Shergar is the name you are looking for. That was a bizarre story itself eh? and the truth behind his disappearance is still a mystery. Lots of conjecture, but never any evidence. Although sadly he is long dead even if his kidnappers hadn't killed him within the first few hours of stealing him as is thought.

Heres the link to the thread with the person saying she knows where Capone is http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ke-200510.html
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Heres the link to the thread with the person saying she knows where Capone is http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ke-200510.html
    Yes, that thread was started by a mare owner that also has a breeding to our guy... I feel so bad that she's been caught in the middle of all of this drama!!

At this point, I think she'll be breeding her mare to our boy this year instead, then hopefully by next season Capone will be 'found' and in the hands of someone else more trustworthy (that will honor past contracts so she won't lose the stud fee she paid for).

What a mess!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post
    Somehow i can't imagine keeping stallions that are supposed to be worth so much in that type of setting.even my very pregnant mare could get over the sides if she was so inclined.
    Chances are no other boarding facility was willing to take him on (Doug, not Capone).

I don't know anything about this guy except what has been posted here. But, I get the gist.

Nothing untowards shows up on Google other that the major drug bust. Of course it could be buried back pages and pages, plus there are several Douglas Spink guys.

Then again, since I get the gist, there is really no reason to search for the pervert stuff!!

I'm sure hoping the horse is fine and this cretin has just gone off the deep end and making up a story. Doesn't make sense that any of his drug cronies would steal the horse--I mean, what would they do with him? They can't sell him or breed him for his value. Unless, maybe Spink has a lot of cash stashed away and they want HIS cash... I dunno....

He isn't worth that kind of money. Top Grand Prix horses can fetch 6 figures, but nowhere near that amount, no way no how. I agree that the barn set up is crazy and very unsafe especially for stallions.

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Its getting national coverage now on ABC National News.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/AmazingAnim...4911317&page=1

They make a reference to the incrediable amount of coverage its gotten on the blogs, undoubtably they know about [guess what?] by now, but I guess they just can't say anything about it? Why aren't they saying anything about it when it is extrememly obvious that he has been posting about [it] on here, as well as some of the other sites?

It makes me really wonder about how news is reported in this country.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 23, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: reference to *other* activities