The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default The French know...

...how valuable Arabian blood is in their event horses. Do Americans value it as well?

At Saumur this weekend, the French Anglo-Arabian TATCHOU (52.12% Arabian) finished in second place in the Grand National after having lead the field after the first two days. They finished 13th in stadium with 8 penalty points.(Tatchou and Nicholas Touzaint won the event in 2007.) The Anglo-Arabian Complemente HASTON D'ELPEGERE (13.79% Arabian) finished a strong fourth place, moving up from 15th after dressage.

In the CCI*** event, Anglo KALINE DE DUN (35.31% Arabian) finished in third place, moving up from 22nd after dressage and sixth after cross country.

Also, in the World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses studbook rankings for FEI Level Eventing from Oct 07-March 08, Anglo-Arabians are SECOND behind the ISH.

See photos of these horses at http://www.anglo-arabians.com/AA_eventnews.htm

I think they were popular here in the '80's but not sure . Lauren Kieffer has an anglo-arab named Snooze Alarm and he is a fabulous horse.

Here's the sire of a Dynasty of eventing Anglos, AAZRAK, with pics:

http://www.equiery.com/archives/Stal...ion_Aazrak.php

and a story about Lauren and Snooze Alarm:

http://anglo-arabians.com/AA_eventnews.htm#snooze

Default non eventing but linebred to Inschallah

we don't event, but my Hessen's grandsire on the dam's side is Inschallah, the famous French AngloArabian TB. and we've got all those shagya, is that how it is spelled? arabs back down in the pedigree. so cute. huge big old Hessen with Arab blood. and Man O' War's blood on the other side thru Samber. wish the French wouldn't eat all of our relatives, though

So do the Americans...our own Wynn Norman, who bred Theodore O'Connor....25 percent Arabian!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I think you don't see much arab blood here in the states is because in Europe, the arabs are still bred for sport (endurance mostly). So they are different than the arabs here.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    I think you don't see much arab blood here in the states is because in Europe, the arabs are still bred for sport (endurance mostly). So they are different than the arabs here.
    Sort of like their TBs....

Doesnt William Fox-Pitt ride an Anglo stallion? All That Jazz?

And Tamarillo, part Arab.

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    Sort of like their TBs....

Doesnt William Fox-Pitt ride an Anglo stallion? All That Jazz?
    I am pretty sure Tamarillo is an anglo?

Anyway, Snooze is a kick ass horse! He pings off the ground like no other... springs for legs!

I agree, I was at a barn that imported a lot of horses from France. After they took a trip to France they would show us the video of them trying all of the horses including a lot of anglo arabs. The french anglo arabians are not at all like our arabians/anglo arabians. They have a completely different build, and they are a lot bigger. In fact I was surprised when they told me what they where. You could hardly tell the difference between them and the Selle Francais.

There are a lot of Arabs in the US bred for sport.
    You simply need to know what lines to look for.

Unfortunately, until recently, our own breed association more or less looked down their nose at them.
    Fortunately for those of us who like a useful horse, there are a fair number of Arab breeders who just kept right on producing good working stock even if it didn't have a face that looked like it had been kicked in the head as a foal.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus44 View Post

Also, in the World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses studbook rankings for FEI Level Eventing from Oct 07-March 08, Anglo-Arabians are SECOND behind the ISH.
    Just a comment on this. There are no Thoroughbred registries in the WBFSH, so the rankings don't take the TBs into account. Also, if you look at the standings individually, many event horses have unknown breeding or are unregistered crosses (purpose bred crosses, but not registered with any member organization). I don't mean to discount the influence of ISHs or of the French bred horses, but in 2006 Hannover ranked second and does anyone really think Hanoverian, yeah, good eventers?

Hey Ghazzu, enlighten us on which breeders do good Arabs in the US. I'm interested because I too see the benefits of the European arab blood, just don't see it here!
    I get a kick out of going to the spring VA starter trials because they have an arab show going on at the same time. We're up top and they are below. The trail class is appalling. I think the horse that wins is the one that gets through the first element unscathed! I have seen a vast improvement on the dr classes though. I hope they get their act together and judge more for sport rather than looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Fortunately for those of us who like a useful horse, there are a fair number of Arab breeders who just kept right on producing good working stock even if it didn't have a face that looked like it had been kicked in the head as a foal.

too funny...and sadly true. I've sat on some polish arabs that you would think were warm bloods...super smart but laid back personalities...and one mare could jump a 5 foot fence pretty easy. I also once helped teach a young Shagya how to jump...not sure if they are considered Arabs...but cool cool horse. Sucker was well over 16 hands and solid bone. Very good mover and jumper and very level head.

I usually thought, just like quarter horses, you just needed to stay away from the ones bred to show in hand.

ETA: Not much help on the actual lines...I wasn't into breeding when I meet these horses. But I do know there are some good ones out there.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; May. 19, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Off the top of my head Stanley Ranch...all are field hunters as well as show hunters; Ann McKay (see link above to AAZRAK story); Laura Wood, Inverted Y in FL (http://www.animalpages.com/anglo-arabians/)

Hey Ghazzu, enlighten us on which breeders do good Arabs in the US. I'm interested because I too see the benefits of the European arab blood, just don't see it here!
    I get a kick out of going to the spring VA starter trials because they have an arab show going on at the same time. We're up top and they are below. The trail class is appalling. I think the horse that wins is the one that gets through the first element unscathed! I have seen a vast improvement on the dr classes though. I hope they get their act together and judge more for sport rather than looks!
    Crabbet and Davenport blood, both of which are included in the group referred to as "CMK".(for Crabbet-Maynesboro-Kellogg, the 3 farms that bred stock from these lines in early US Arab breeding)

There are vanishingly few high % Crabbet horses left, but the Davenports are out there, as are the CMK's.

Old Egyptian lines, like the Babsons. (Serr Maariner, Major Carmona's stallion, was a Babson).

Saudi lines.

One of the most famous Anglo-Arabs in the US...Windfall II.
    Therefore Darren's youngsters out of Windfall have lots of Arab blood in them.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I probably should have mentioned Polish, though they're kind of off my radar since there is some outside blood in the woodpile, so to speak, from an asil breeder's perspective.

It's interesting to me to see the changes in some of the Polish horses since they hit the US.

The early imports were from a state breeding program that emphasized athleticism, soundness, and trainability, as well as beauty.
    They were solid and beautiful horses, with good minds.

Fast forward a number of generations selected on the basis of "living art", and there are a lot of horses promoted as Polish Arabs that are not anwhere near as good as where they came from, IMHO.

And the Shagya's are not purebreds, rather they are a high percentage Arab blood with outcrosses.
    Also generally good athletes, but most not registerable as partbreds due to the "one purebred Arab parent" criterion.

Default Stanley Ranch

Look at these two...

http://www.stanleyranch.com/orion.htm

http://www.stanleyranch.com/exodus.htm

wow.

And on Windfall... Trakehners have a good bit of Arabian blood in general, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    One of the most famous Anglo-Arabs in the US...Windfall II.
    Therefore Darren's youngsters out of Windfall have lots of Arab blood in them.
    Windfall II is not an Anglo, he has an Anglo grandsire, Burnus.