The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I scored in the 50s at a recognized show ... Yes, I am THAT person!

I am THAT person, the one at the bottom of the results list, who makes it possible for others to feel a great sense of accomplishment at out-scoring a long list of riders.

Yay me! And you're welcome!

Anyone else? Or did I just totally embarrass myself?

(In fairness to my horse, he is a saint and can score in the 60s if I get my act together and actually ride. And it was fun day at the show.)

I scored in the 40s at a SCHOOLING show last year. At training level. And got told that perhaps my horse wasn't the most suited for dressage.
    And honestly? It wasn't THAT bad of a ride!
    So I also did my patriotic duty of making others feel better about themselves.

(course I felt a little better as on the next day, I rode under a different judge and got a 58%, which I thought was more representative, but hey )

No worries. You win some, you lose some and were the comments helpful? I like looking at those far more then the score, since the score can occasionally be arbitrary, but the comments tend to be pretty darn good
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

You're kidding, right? Your recognized shows don't have a lot of people in the 50s?

These are the results from a recent recognized, big show. Every AA class had people in the 50s. Many classes were won by scores in the low 60s. Are we full of crappy riders or is the judging harder?

http://www.foxvillage.com/fvdsqlnetd...px?sh=289&st=1

FWIW, one friend has a lovely mare who toggles between high 40s and low 60s depending on how she takes the presence of the judge's booth when she enters, LOL!

Wink

no big deal...i think it's better to start with a low score...no where to go but up. If you start at the top there's no where to go but down! Besides, it's just one judge's opinion...
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Ambrey, that was my thought. 50 isn't unheard of around here at ALL for a recognized show.

That big show with all the pros and warmbloods that was posted up here had some rides BELOW fifty, i think two at 48. if the pros can do it on the warmbloods by god so can we. it's amazing how quickly one can get to there if horsey decides to stop and not move on the center line, LOL.

My scores vary from 50%+ to 60%+ (last 70%+ was at 1st level - no 70%+ at 2nd or 3rd for us)

Try not to look at only one show. May be judge was very low? (At my last show 4 people in class - it was won with 57% and a winner was another judge. One of my friends who is a national champion, scored in mid 50% and she had a good ride...) May be weather was stormy? May be something was distracting you and your horse? Take judge's comments and try to do better at the next show.

I think it's very important to show for at least 4 different judges in one show season to see where you are on average. To go to several different shows is even better. If you will keep on scoring ALL the time in 50%, may be you shouldn’t move up to the next level. It just shows that you need some more work. But I think it's totally fine to keep on showing at the same level with 50%.

I am for the new qualifying rule. I was quite outspoken on that issue. It's not the low scores that bother me. Almost everybody gets' them at times. What bothers me are riders with low scores who move up to the next level with out fixing their problems. Score wise: to show at the same level is quite different than to move up to the next level.

I would say good luck to you at the next show at the same level.
    Last edited by Dressage Art; May. 16, 2008 at 04:08 PM.

Having survived a mount that could score from 75% to 49%, I figure that if you don't have a sense of humour you're in the wrong sport.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    That big show with all the pros and warmbloods that was posted up here had some rides BELOW fifty, i think two at 48. if the pros can do it on the warmbloods by god so can we. it's amazing how quickly one can get to there if horsey decides to stop and not move on the center line, LOL.
    Yep, the show I posted is full of 5-6 figure horses and riders from BNTs in the AA divisions. Nobody I know has ever been ashamed to come home with a score in the high 50s. They might work a little harder if it was mid-low 50s, and they jump for joy for 60s.

There are even 50s in the open classes.

Phfffffffttttttttttttttttt, I scored a 58 at my last show and got 3 "1's" for some movements that were "spookedable not done"
    Am I upset, NO!
    Do I laugh alot. You bet!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I got a 50 something (can't quite remember... has been about 16 years ago ) on my first and only test (Training Level). My little horse spooked at every letter, every flower display, and the judge's stand (even though I had spent the whole morning walking her around the arena and farm/show ground)... I really think the judge was very, very generous with us!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Default I have you all beat !

I have a young mare that has a pretty good spook to her so I sent her to a "trainer" to have some miles put on her and get her out to some shows. Trainer was raving about how well the mare was doing and I entered her in a rated show.

First clue of a problem was the trainer arrived very late and my mare had next to zero muscle tone. She did not look like a horse that had been in work.

Thank Goodness we were the last too rides...and not many people were near the ring.I asked the trainer if she wanted me to call the tests to her and she said yes because she had not even looked at them yet. Yikes ! She trotted in , spooked , ran backward and basically halted facing the wrong direction ! It was so bad and I was so shocked my voice was cracking as I read the test. The ride deteriated from there with trainer yelling to me from the ring "Where do I go now?" to the judge blowing her whistle and getting out of her car to explain the rest of the test. Ended up with whopping 35 percent.

Needless to say I took the mare home and got a new trainer. New trainer looked at the test and noted whoever calculated the score forgot to take off for the 3 errors so the score was actually probably 29 or so. She got 4 zeros..

So much for just mailing a check every month for training...Never did that before and will never do it again.

horses aren't robots. people should be proud of themselves for giving it a try.

I once got a 47. On Willem, no less. Who was Very Angry, because he's already been down the hill to his stall, had peed and thought that he was done for the day. Halted at X, put his head down and shot into reverse, at which point I made the mistake of laughing. Could not get him to stop, and he backed a perfect little figure eight. Should have just excused myself at that point, but soldiered on. Willem saw my mom and started crying to her. I mean, really sad, pathetic, three-Kleenex-box whinnies. Put his head down and bucked through all the canter movements.

He certainly got his point across, and I never made that mistake again.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

My QH and I scored 57.5% and 52.5% at a recognized show. I was SO excited, because we had FUN. It was our first time to a show in years and she was being so good. We probably could have done better if she wouldn't have been coming off of an injury and we'd only had a week or so to get ready for the show.

My only regret was not having my dressage whip. During the 2nd test, she would NOT trot! Since I never wear spurs with her, I didn't have that to fall back on either. I tried pushing her forward with my seat...didn't work. I finally resorted to kick...kick...kick, feeling like a total fool, yet trying not to laugh. She was like, "Oh! You want me to TROT here! Well, I guess...if I must." It was one of the laziest trots she's ever done. Not to mention, she kept looking around to the sides of the arena to see who was there watching her.

When we were finished, I just laughed and shook my head. I swear, she did it on purpose, because when we were finished, she gave me the BEST free walk I could have ever asked for. Dammit. Judge's comments for that test included, "Very kind horse." God, but I love that little mare...even when she makes an a$$ out of me!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

So what does qualification do with this? Nothing, I guess, it just takes longer to qualify to ride the further levels. they don't have any 'you got a 45 once so you can't move ahead', LOL.

Years ago our local dressage club did a fun award for the horse/rider that had the highest and lowest score over their career together. One of my best friends won with her OTTB who raced until he was nine. He had run over 100 races. The first year I knew them they spent a LOT of time several feet off the ground.

Their low score was a 35% from Edgar Hotz at training level. Edgar told her to read the directives on the back of the test and realize that they met none.

Their high score was a 69% at PSG about ten years later. How is that for perseverance, stubborness, tenacity and grit?

Ambrey, I was at that show to watch. A lot of the low scores were in the track arena, which is a beastly place to have to ride. The footing sucks for dressage, and there's that tall, semi-transparent, very scarey, slightly shiny, flappy plastic fence down one long side between the arena and the stabling area. I thought it was a wretched place to ride. I watched a lot of nice rides get ruined by someone totally unconciously doing something bizarre the other side of that fence!

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Ambrey, I was at that show to watch. A lot of the low scores were in the track arena, which is a beastly place to have to ride. The footing sucks for dressage, and there's that tall, semi-transparent, very scarey, slightly shiny, flappy plastic fence down one long side between the arena and the stabling area. I thought it was a wretched place to ride. I watched a lot of nice rides get ruined by someone totally unconciously doing something bizarre the other side of that fence!
    True, but all of the show venues down here are like that! I was at a show in Horsepark where they were doing I1 in the indoor and someone was loading hay with a tractor on the other side of the plastic divider.

Hah. I got a 54% once at a schooling show! I had that damned test memorized front to back, but when I went into the ring, my brain just went blank. I wandered aimlessly around the arena for a while, face flaming, and got the whistle twice. It was awful! But I can laugh about it now.