The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schooling show attire

Greetings, I'm another newbie to Dressage and have a question:

We don't have to wear coats for this show; do I wear a white or black shirt with my white breeches? Should I wear a hair net with my short ponytail? I'm soon to be 48, so want to look age appropriate as well as Dressage appropriate. If this has been covered enough I can do a thread search...

Also, if braiding is optional, do you braid? Are the braids any different than hunter braids? I have an instructor I can ask, but would like to get a feeling for what you folks would do.

Thanks! I always learn a lot here.

I'm also a "mature" AA and for schooling shows I wear white or light tan breeches and a conservative polo shirt: white, black or navy are the colors I have, but I have seen other shades of blue, dark green, burgundy. As long as it is a solid, conservative color, it looks quite nice. Because I am also pathologically incapable of staying clean in a horsey environment, I tend to prefer the tan breeches/colored shirt combo. Black belt, black boots, black helmet and either black gloves or (cooler for summer) those nice tan leather ones with the white crocheted backs.

I just twist my short ponytail into a low bun, pin a hairnet over my whole head to contain the inevitable wispies that escape, and plop my helmet on top.

Braiding makes my hands ache, so I skip it for schooling shows. A neatly pulled mane (or tidy longer mane for breeds traditionally kept long) is perfectly acceptable. The classic hunter braids are lovely and more than acceptable. If you want to be traditional, fewer, larger braids are more typical at dressage shows. Lots of people -- myself included -- like the easy-to-do button braids.

Otherwise: clean horse, clipped or unclipped to whatever degree you personally prefer, wearing clean tack, carrying a rider who is neat and conservative and also clean ... more-or-less.

Welcome to the dressage world; I hope you enjoy it!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

For schooling shows I make sure my tack and horse are clean. I clip my horse but don't braid. I normally either wear either tan, white or occasionally black breeches with either a light blue or cream colored polo shirt. My trainer wears close to the same thing. Of course with tall boots as well that are clean.

Good luck and have fun! I am a barrel racer turned dressage junkie AA rider!

Schooling show attire has been covered in myriad threads here.

What it boils down to is this: Check with show management to see what's allowed (sounds like you've already done that because you know coats aren't required). Some people dress themselves and their horses as though they're going to a big-time show; others are quite relaxed about it. But everyone agrees that people and horses should be neat, clean, and wearing clothing and tack that fits well and is in good condition.

Wear whatever you want, put a net over your hair, and enjoy the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by rascalpony View Post
    I refuse to ride my cat out of the kitchen, mainly because I don't want to pay the hospital bills.

Don’t care what you wear, but please be clean and clean your horse - it's a sign of respect to a judge.

When coats are waived at recognized shows, you are required to wear a shirt with sleeves (short or long, just no tank tops) and with a collar (no tee-shirts). So that's what I wear at schooling shows -- inexpensive polo shirt works great. I stick with white or tan, but I've seen other colors.

Have fun!!

And my horse has a roached mane, so no braiding worries for me!

If you have the choice, pick darker colors! White is so hard to keep clean around a barn. If you have tan breeches and a dark, solid colored polo that will be an easier outfit than white breeches or a white polo. Unless you have a particular desire to braid (need the practice?), I would skip that too. When the rider is dressed more casual I think it is appropriate for the horse to sport the same style - neat and tidy, but not all fancied up. Have fun!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

You can also wear a nice vest. Gloves in conservative color are "de riguer". A belt should be worn, especially with no coat. I french braid my hair then tuck ends under. It's cooler and neat.

as far as braids go you can do it , if you choose.

they are not far different from humnter braids, just thicker and a lot less of them. Think 20 or less

yarn to match the mane,

If you go on to rated shows you can think about practicing the other types of braids, such as buttons, but a nifty hunter type braid is always fine
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Cookie Dough is the Sushi of Desserts
    Introverted Since 1957

Default Thank you!

Thank you everyone; I appreciate the help
    The only thing that really frightens me is thinking of wearing a belt...egg body Would it be horrible to be untucked? Yikes. May have to wear a vest!

For the clinics, I ride at very hot days in a UV protecting, breathable untucked shirts that are designed to be untucked and slightly fits the figure: http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/no...Type=Affiliate

I think it looks quite good. I'm not sure how the untucked straight t-shirt will look...

Quote Originally Posted by slight View Post
    Would it be horrible to be untucked? Yikes. May have to wear a vest!
    No, it would not be horrible. A big, floppy, long shirt wouldn't look great, but shorter ones, that hit around mid-hip, with a little shaping to them, look fine.

Don't stress so much about what you wear. If you've been riding hunters, it's hard to get out of that mind set. But honestly, dressage judges don't care what you wear. The best way to show respect to the judge is to know your test, be prepared to ride it well, and show up at the ring on time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rascalpony View Post
    I refuse to ride my cat out of the kitchen, mainly because I don't want to pay the hospital bills.

Kerrits Ventilator shirts are made to wear untucked. Very comfy, look nice and they come in long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless. Big plus: if you get one in white, it has a loop in back for a stock tie, so you can wear with your coat to a recognized show, too. Here's a link to a catalog, but you might check eBay, too.

Kerrits ventilator shirt

PS -- have a good time at the show.