The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sharing a horse

My friend and I are interested in buying a dressage horse to share in both everyday riding and showing. Has anyone done this before? And has it been a good experience? We are both very similar in terms of personality and we own a business together...so we know that we can handle each others differences!

Quote Originally Posted by agentdressage View Post
    My friend and I are interested in buying a dressage horse to share in both everyday riding and showing. Has anyone done this before? And has it been a good experience? We are both very similar in terms of personality and we own a business together...so we know that we can handle each others differences!
    I did this, but we bred the horse together rather than buying one together. This was with a life long friend of mine, and we are now no longer friends. My friend was very relaxed about nutrition and care, and I was very involved and always wanting the best for the foal. She also came to me over a year later and told me I owed her money for stuff that she felt I needed to split with her even though “that stuff” was not in our partnership contract. We clashed numerous times, and even though I tried to save the friendship, she didn't. The end.

I wouldn't buy a horse together and share it with a friend ever again. You would be better off leasing.

I have not known too many people that sharing has worked for. More often than not it ends in disaster. I tried it once and ended up buying out the other party pretty early on..as in the first 6 months. Just a lot to consider , in our case it ended well , but often it does not.

As the other two have said, I think it may be a disastor waiting to happen. It is VERY rare for two poeple to have the exact same (or even close) idea's on training, feeding, care, discipline etc etc and with something so personal as a horse I think that the small differences will build up to be a major point!

JMHO- I havent done it and but wouldn't
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

I'm sharing a free lease with someone right now. Wonderful lady, but it's hard enough even when the "big" decisions are still made by the horse's owner (she lives around the corner and is long time friends with our coach).

I wouldn't buy a horse together if you both plan on riding and showing. If it were partnership in a higher level horse going to be professionally riden and shown (i.e. sale prospect, stallion, etc), I might feel differently.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

There are some things you absolutely do not do in the horse business, and buying a horse together is one of them. I don't even do it with my SO. You may buy a horse for someone to ride, or buy a horse for someone to part board or lease.

I hate to add a voice to the dissenters, but I just witnessed a co-ownership situation go way bad. I'd recommend that one person buys the horse and part leases it to the other. I think it's easier overall if one person has the ability to make the final decisions.

Of course, I'm not sure I could co-own a business, either, so maybe I'm not the right person to ask .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I would go with the posters that say one person buys and the other person half leases... The extra stuff you have thrown in here is that if something goes wrong over the split horse ownership your business could suffer... So I'd be leary.. But then again, I don't really trust people in general.

don't do it. I have done it twice and let me tell you it is a nightmare. I have done this with 2 friends. Luckily I am still friends with them, but I ended up with the horses and had to sell them and made no money on them like originally planned.

Especially if you are sharing riding duties and showing, you will never agree to do the same days, or same shows or same routine, nutrition etc...

Just giving you my experiences.

Not in million years. Not for a million dollars!

Wow! Thanks everyone for being so honest. I was feeling like it was a bad idea...but now I definetely know it! I really appreciate all of your help.

Don't do it.
    We tried it and it ended badly. We bought the other owner out and ended the friendship.
    No two people have the same goals or riding styles and I can't see how it would ever work.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmyappy View Post
    Don't do it.
    ditto