The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dressage jacket

So I'm showing my first recognized show in...oh, 4 years.
    I realize that I have no dressage coat...it seems my body does not fit what it once did when i was a teenager :P

Now, I have three options. I surf eBay to find one (need a size 16L ), but risk the fact that it might not fit correctly. I'm looking at a Grand Prix brand coat for about $40 (assuming I can win the auction), which might be a good buy, but again, it might not fit that well...

Option number 2 is is I shell out big bucks for something like a Pikeur, which definitely looks good and will last. But they are like $400! and if i could find something else that will look decent (I'm only showing 1st level!), then I'd prefer that option

Option number 3 (and what I'm leaning towards) is the Elation showcoat from Greenhawk. It's cheap, and has a wide variety of sizes.
    http://greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftC...d4e+1210450504
    But can I make it work for a dressage jacket? or will I stick out? does anyone else show in this?
    My enquiring mind desperately needs fashion advice!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Hmmm. I understand your quandry! I have a Pikeur that I love, but it was an eBay steal. No way would I have the $$ to buy it from the tack shop.

How long do you have? For $40, the Grand Prix jacket might be a good risk. If you're afraid of it not fitting and then not being able to get the Elation in your size, you could get both and return the Elation to Greenhawk if the GP worked out...

I usually wouldn't suggest that approach, but it's Greenhawk... I don't have any more issues with making returns to them than I would Sears since they make their money on volume, not high end merchandise.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

There are other options within those extremes. Bahr has a couple, such as

http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/sb-produ...7&category=125

if you are going to show a lot, wool with stretch is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    if you are going to show a lot, wool with stretch is nice.
    does it hold up pretty well? and do you find you get hot in it, or doesn't make a difference?
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Doesn't Dressage Extensions have one for around $120? I think I heard it was OK.
    I admit to buying a black coat from Greenhawk b/c it was on sale, and it fit fabulously, looks much more expensive due to the fact it fits me so well. and I dont' show....

Check out consignment shops too. My friend found a very nice Pikeur that she only had to alter a bit.

wasn't there a shop that rents show coats? if not, there should be! I have a Pikeur Diane that I've shown in 6 times, and 4 of those times, the jackets were waived due to high temps! My advice? buy a cheapie and have it tailored

I'd go for option # 3, you can always upgrade at a later date, (ie when you find the perfect jacket on ebay).
    which show are you going to be at?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
    I'd go for option # 3, you can always upgrade at a later date, (ie when you find the perfect jacket on ebay).
    which show are you going to be at?
    the CA/ADA one
    or one hopes, anyways

Andersons? I was thinking of volunteering at that one.

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxThePony View Post
    Andersons? I was thinking of volunteering at that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalStorm View Post

Aha! So maybe someone can get their $40bux back!!
    But I'm not SURE if I can do it. I'll let you know though! Or anyone else who can't volunteer themselves.

I would go with Option 3 and then sell it when you upgrade. Assuming you win your ebay auction...what if it doesn't fit when you get it or it is slow coming etc, you will be in a tizzy.

I also would not give the "inappropriate dress quandary" another thought, at the recognized show I was volunteering at two weeks ago, the weekend's high scorer (76%) was in hunter tack and hunter show clothes.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I agree with Mozart---don't worry about being appropriate! A coat is a coat. Find one that's comfortable and affordable, be it new, used, dressage or hunt. The chance of coats being waived at your show is directionally proportionate to the time and money you'll spend finding your coat.

Tropical Storm - pm me - I have one you're welcome to - size 16L, stretchy, washable, etc - it's seen better days - is freebie OK for you?