The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We've used frozen semen on young mares (even maiden) and older mares with success. We do follow the Protocol method recommended by Select Breeders (you can find it on their website). We don't use P&E. I do own my own water bath which makes it very easy with the small straws - as far as thawing.

We do keep detailed records on our mares and their cycles and would highly recommend that you follow at least one cycle of any mare you plan to use frozen on so you have some idea how she progresses. We also know some of our mares catch more on follicles on one ovary and not on the other.

We also have a 5 chamber liquid nitrogen tank so we can hold semen for at least 3 months without worrying about re-filling.

If you aren't set up for using frozen and your Vet isn't either - ship her to a facility that does the work and has a history of working with frozen semen and storage facilities for it.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Just had our 16 day preg. check and she is PREGNANT!!!! I was already hopping around doing the happy dance when the vet pointed out that the pregnancy is very small, more like day 11! I've heard that pregnancies achieved with frozen semen can lag behind a bit. But now I'm very worried that she might not hang on to it!
    Experiences?
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Many jingles for you that she holds onto the pregnancy! Who is she in foal to?
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Frozen semen pregnancies can be smaller, but usually by about 1 day. So a 16 day could be about the size of a 15 day, etc. I would be a little concerned if it is truly 16 days and the conceptus is only the size of an 11 day. In that case I would check back in 2 or 3 days to make sure that it is growing/that it is not a cyst.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Out of three mares that are pregnant now, two were sonogrammed at my barn on Friday, went to the clinic on Saturday, were bred on Sunday, and I picked them up on Monday morning. The third one took one extra day... :-) They were all inseminated with one dose of frozen semen. Life is good!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Yes, I'm not very optimistic!
    I guess the pregnancy would have been actually at day 15 (I counted from the day she ovulated), but that's still much too small! I will take her back in to be checked on Monday!
    The stallion is Florestan!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough