The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

WendellsGirl;3203285]Oh! That breaks my heart she was that beautiful so recently!
    So beautiful and probably so pampered. She must have been wondering, "What happened??" I am so happy she has ended up in a safe place. What an awesome story.
    ***There is no question that that is the same pony.

I, also, am sure it is the same pony. I wonder who the breeder was.
    This is so cool that she has been identified.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

wow that is DEFINITELY her - the amazing powers of COTH strike again!!!! I am so happy you found out who she is and so sad that she had a tough time of it. I hope you find her former owners!

What a miracle...

Could you find the owner, trainer or rider by looking up old show results in Texas?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

is the same Lucky for Me thats recorded in the USEF as being owned by Emily Torcivia until 2004 and then Kelly McDonald in 2007? Looks like she was doing large children's ponies pretty successfully on the east coast A circuit with Emily, then there's a gap of 3 years and she's doing short stirrup with Kelly at least at one show in May 2007 in NJ.

How old is the injury? Readng this makes me wonder if she had her injury with Emily and then this Kelly girl got her and they tried to bring her back to work? Just throwing out wild thoughts but the three year gap in her show results is interesting.

Just throwing out wild thoughts but the three year gap in her show results is interesting.
    I thought the same thing. It seems that the pony was shown pretty extensively up and down the east coast up until 2004. Maybe someone here knows her rider from that time. The vet thought the injury was at least a year old, but it could have been older. I too wondered if her last owner was trying to bring her back after injury.

I think she may have come from Knightsbridge Farm in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. I can't seem to find a website for them but did find a farm listing.

So happy that you found your way into this pony's life and she found her way into yours.

As a breeder I worry about what happens to my ponies. I have kept track of all but one.

I have bought a number of half welsh ponies that were not registered but the stallion report was submitted. The stallion owners were happy to hear from me, but some of the original owners were not.

Good job to you and all the other posters.
    Regards,
    Jeanne

I sent a message to Emily through Facebook directing her here. Maybe she'll respond.

Emily just responded and is hopefully headed here.

Etorcivia Guest

Smile I think I know this pony

If you are talking about the pony Lucky for Me, I used to own her. I had her for about three years and she was the best pony I ever had. Shes dark bay with a white blaze and shes probably about 19 years old now. Yes, she is currently retired now but shes in a great place. I used to ride her at Knightsbridge Farm in Middletown, NJ. She stayed there for a few years after I sold her to a younger girl, but her right hind hoof was not doing to well. Its a shame because she was a great pony. She was a hack winner and beautiful jumper. If you guys have any questions you can always ask, but I know this is the pony you were all talking about and i owned her when she was about 13.

Looks like she's foundered and that's likely to be a severe problem.

I see you've managed to track down who the pony is. It also seems that the previous poster was unaware the pony had been moved on again.

It always seems sad to me that a pony that's given so much ends up left to take its chances once its no longer serviceable. If indeed the pony has been moved on and sold in breach of an agreement to provide a long term retirement home, then I sincerely hope the OP or the previous owner will call him to account either with litigation for breach of contract or by ensuring adverse publicity to avoid others falling into the same trap.

Glad its found a decent home but its looking like its going to need some pretty good farriery and remedial work to make its feet more comfortable.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; May. 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: back as I've just read the whole posting....

Looks like the same pony to me as well. When you showed your short video clip, I thought, wow what a classy little pon-pon! Good for you for stepping up and helping her out, it makes me sick to think of this happening to any of mine. I'd be curious to see whether or not the old owners would want her back and would be willing to retire her for real this time.

Looks like the "great retirement place" turned out not-so-great.

Glad this sad story has such a happy ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Etorcivia View Post
    Yes, she is currently retired now but shes in a great place.
    You might want to check on that "great place" based on what the OP said

It makes me wonder - how many other horses were retired to this guy???
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Looks like she's foundered and that's likely to be a severe problem.

I see you've managed to track down who the pony is. It also seems that the previous poster was unaware the pony had been moved on again.

It always seems sad to me that a pony that's given so much ends up left to take its chances once its no longer serviceable. If indeed the pony has been moved on and sold in breach of an agreement to provide a long term retirement home, then I sincerely hope the OP or the previous owner will call him to account either with litigation for breach of contract or by ensuring adverse publicity to avoid others falling into the same trap.

Glad its found a decent home but its looking like its going to need some pretty good farriery and remedial work to make its feet more comfortable.
    Ditto...what he said. Unfortunately the "great place" turned into being given away. Lucky was truly just Lucky that she found the OP or it could have been a much sadder ending.

Retirement of ex racehorses and show horses is one of the dilemmas that all owners face and many people get truly scammed. Their fancy WEF winners have ended up at slaughter houses when the owners thought they were living the good life in a big grassy field. Lucky is truly a lucky horse.

I am not advertising because I am full, but, having retired my last 2 show horses and a race horse or two for my mother, I realized how fortunate I was to have a farm, and have begun to retire horses for others.

All these lovely braided and shiny horses have to go somewhere to live out their days. It would kill me to not be able to keep control over my boyz.

People who have to rely on third parties, please realize that, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Make sure you know who is going to be in control of your lovely horse.

Kudos to the OP for saving Lucky. I hope the man she got him from gets what is coming to him.
    I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Retirement of ex racehorses and show horses is one of the dilemmas that all owners face and many people get truly scammed. Their fancy WEF winners have ended up at slaughter houses when the owners thought they were living the good life in a big grassy field. Lucky is truly a lucky horse.

I am not advertising because I am full, but, having retired my last 2 show horses and a race horse or two for my mother, I realized how fortunate I was to have a farm, and have begun to retire horses for others.

All these lovely braided and shiny horses have to go somewhere to live out their days. It would kill me to not be able to keep control over my boyz.

People who have to rely on third parties, please realize that, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Make sure you know who is going to be in control of your lovely horse.

Kudos to the OP for saving Lucky. I hope the man she got him from gets what is coming to him.
    You are so very true in what you just stated. So many of these past winners end up in slaughter instead of living out their glory days in retirement fields. I am so thankful I have the ability to keep my older ponies and horses. Right now I look out my house window and look at my 18 year old daughter's 26 year old retired Medium Division Pony. That pony was 2nd in the nation in the Greens in her younger years and my daughter has had her since she's been 12 and she's now 18. My daughter now has her slew of WB's but everyday she finds the time to dote on that pony.
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Default come back please!

etorcivia - come back! come back! I would love to have the details of her injury. Please tell me everything that you know or help me get in contact with those that do know. I'd sent you a pm yesterday but am wondering since you just joined coth if you are still figuring out the bb... I know I am even though I've been reading for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Retirement of ex racehorses and show horses is one of the dilemmas that all owners face and many people get truly scammed.
    In truth I think a lot of folks don't actually care..... Out of sight, out of mind. They're clearly receptive to being scammed and not properly checking out the establishments and clearly not ensuring that what is supposed to happen is happening.

Me too. Call me old fashioned but I just don't like this throw away, commodity market mentality whereby you finish with it and then just pass it on.

1 members found this post helpful.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ponymamawithkids View Post
    etorcivia - come back! come back! I would love to have the details of her injury. Please tell me everything that you know or help me get in contact with those that do know. I'd sent you a pm yesterday but am wondering since you just joined coth if you are still figuring out the bb... I know I am even though I've been reading for years.
    If she doesn't come back here, you can track her down thru Facebook like the other poster did. Or, get that poster to help you track her there.

Good luck -- I'm really glad the pony ended up with you. Really maddening if that man who did the 'permanent retirement' set up is scamming people. Poor pony. Yes, lucky now, but how unfortunate for her to have given such great years then to end up in such an uncertain situation unbeknownst to her owners who probably thought they were doing a good thing for her.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me