The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Smile

This beauty, that served so many kids, has found HER lucky charm in you. I love these happy endings, as so many others we hear about are far less fortunate. Keep us informed as to her condition. I bet she is resting well tonight.
    Kelly, Ballingard Grove
    If you tell the truth, then you don't have to remember anything. Mark Twain

Just wondering how the pony was doing?

Did her previous owners come to see her at all?

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Just wondering how the pony was doing?

Did her previous owners come to see her at all?
    Update please!!! Any pics of her with the kids?
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

The pony is doing extremely well. She settled in and is a huge hit. I check in with them a couple of times a week and she has been wonderful. I never actually spoke to her last owner of record, only to the folks at the barn where she spent the last several years. They were going to contact the owners.

kemdignam Guest

She looks like Emily Grimm's old pony Lucky For Me. Emily had her down in Tampa, Florida. Her barn name was Lucky. Any chance she used to live in Florida?

Yes, it's the same pony. Her barn name used to be Ellie when she was in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    In truth I think a lot of folks don't actually care..... Out of sight, out of mind. They're clearly receptive to being scammed and not properly checking out the establishments and clearly not ensuring that what is supposed to happen is happening.

Me too. Call me old fashioned but I just don't like this throw away, commodity market mentality whereby you finish with it and then just pass it on.

Here here. I feel the same way. I love to show and am highly competitive, but I dont think thats an excuse to throw away what youre done with. If that means I start a collection of retired horses, so be it. I could never let my horses out of my control. I just couldnt live with the nagging fact that they could end up anywhere, and it was my responsibility to prevent that. We owe our show horses a lot, they sure do give us their all.

My sister had an older Large pony when she was just starting out. His passport was whited out and rewritten, he was really 14.3 so he had had his toes chopped off his whole life to stay eligible. He must have been on bute when we tried him, because he was lame ever since. He was passed around a lot, and no one has ever tried to contact us to see what became of him. He made so many kids happy, that probably didnt know any better when their parents sold him on, but youd think (hope) that when they got older and realized the plight of horses, they would try to find him (its not hard to find a palomino!). No one cares. We retired him to a nice farm with friends of ours, and he lived the life until it was his time to go, and then he went with dignity.

Any more news from ETorcivia? The trainer at Knightsbridge is Mary Babick

I know someone who knows the Torcivia's. If I can find out any more info, I will gladly pass it on

What an interesting story this has been, and I echo everyone who is happy this sweet mare ended up in a good place. Ponymamawithkids, you were meant to find Lucky, and thank goodness you did!

It's not the first time I've heard of a horse sent to a retirement farm to live out its days get moved on -- a girl I used to board with sent her very nice warmblood to a retirement farm about an hour and a half away for pasture board. When she went to visit him they brought her a chestnut and insisted it was her horse, who was dark bay. When questioned the farm owner muttered that he must have sold her horse to the meatman by mistake. Her lovely gelding was never seen again. Everyone who knew this sweet horse was horrified and sickened by what happened to him.

It's always hard to retire your horse. I got very, very lucky when I found a place that came highly recommended by my vet. Yes, writing that check every month is hard -- now more than ever -- but I can't put a price on the happiness I feel every time I see her fat, happy, shiny and loved by her caretaker. Anyone who is considering retiring their horse really should do their homework and check references. Yes it takes longer to find a place this way but I can't imagine sending my horse to someone who wasn't personally recommended to me.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I am bringing this thread back to the front page.

My friend asked me just this morning if I could locate her old pony, Lucky for Me. She really should give me harder tasks. I knew if I came here, I would find her. Lucky for me I was right!

I hope that she's still doing well one year later.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Jul. 9, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Dreaming in Color

I hope that by posting here I can re-open this thread. I am looking for some more help from this awesome board! Lucky the very lucky pony has been happily living out in a big field at a school for the last 5 years. I was notified recently that the school is moving to a new facility that will not have horse facilities for Lucky. She's 24 now, in perfect health, foot appears no worse, no meds. She needs to find a new place to go. I have been working tirelessly backwards through her old owners hoping to find a place for her. I'd love to find her breeder and see if there is a back 40 where she can live out her days. If anyone has any ideas for this girl please let me know. I made her a promise 5 years ago that she would never be that close to a meat truck again, so I will check references. Unfortunately bringing her home here is not a long term option as much as I would love to.

You might try an ad in the Giveaways forum. You can be as picky as you want. I have had success that way. Good luck!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

It would be nice if some of her previous owners that got such good use out of her (and loved her) would step up now.

A retirement syndicate would not cost much per month...

Money comes and goes, but guilt is forever. I had a horse I always regretted selling, he ended up 9 years later in a bad place and I was able to buy him back. I have no use for him and with a recent cut in pay (22% less!) it is difficult - but still worth it for the peace of mind. So come on previous owners - do the right thing and impress us all! You will be rewarded in karma and really good PR.

bump...this pony is so deserving of a safe retirement.