The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone know this pony?

I am looking for any information anyone may have on a pony I have. She came to me with a name plate on the halter that says "Lucky". Extremely fancy, fancy dark bay 14h TB/Welsh pony mare- white blaze and one white sock in front. She's a teenager - with a horrific healed injury on her hind leg. She probably came from NJ. It looks like the injury is about a year old. Pony is safe and happy now, just want some background. She has lovely manners and has that "been there done that and won it" attitude. I am sure someone must know her.

Thanks

A picture? Do you know who (trainer or barn) the pony came from?
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I don't know the trainer or barn. I can't get a straight answer from the man I got her from. I uploaded a few pictures to Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/24683318@N02/

Not the best, but my six year old was my only helper

She may have been sold 5 years ago (one story) or she may have been retired in the last year as her injury was career ending.

well, it's certainly an adorable pony. not sure if i know who the pony is, though. she has NO papers ? at all? what about a USEF ID? do you have any of her past coggins papers?
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I have nothing. I am piecing together her true story form the "story" I was told when I got her. I am just concerned someone paid to retire this pony and it was just given away to me. The pony is not in danger at all.. in fact she's just hit the jackpot as far as retirement homes go, but I have misgivings about her actual origin. Here's a brief clip of her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAA-yUas8UE

VERY cute pony, I would agree that she was probably someones show pony at some point, adorable. Hope you get more info,

Very cute pony! I'm sure she was someone's show pony and she probably has a record but without any past information, it will be very hard to research her past. But judging from her conformation and movement, I'm pretty confident in thinking that she is a pony that has been there, done that.
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

She's very lovely-I really hope you can figure out who she is and where she came from.

I'm in full agreement with the concensus that she's lovely.

I appreciate everyones kind comments. Her leg from mid cannon to the coronet is like a tree trunk. Her hoof is like nothing I've ever seen. The wall is completely deformed. She has virtually no wall and the sole has dropped somewhat although the vet thought is looked more dropped than it actually was. She walks directly on this thickened calloused sole. Her hoof wall is somewhat spongy, and gives when pressed on with a thumb. The man was trying to sell her like this. Never mentioned the leg until the day I was driving out, then he told me she had a bruise on her leg. I was told that her injury was about a week old - yeah... Anyway, she seemed recenty clipped and mane recentlly pulled and this was not the kind of place where either of these things would happen so his story that he bought this pony for his son 5 years ago really didn't ring true. Then I find ads all over the internet under this guys cell that say "Retire your horse one time fee". He gave me the name of the vet that treated her, of course they've never seen her.. I am afraid someone paid this guy to retire this nice pony and now he's moved her. Vet confirmed that she has a severed tendon - I can't remember if he said deep flexor or superficial flexor, but he let me feel it. You can feel it then you can't, your finger just drops into the leg. Vet and farrier agreed that this is one for the text books. I uploaded pics of the hoof and leg to flickr too for anyone that's interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24683318@N02/
    This pony would not have healed this well on her own, so someone put some serious money into saving her with this kind of injury and it wasn't the man I got her from.

The way it sounds that man is probably running some sort of scam in your area. If his place doesnt look like the kind of place he would have a clipped horse he probebly was retiring horses and then selling them again like you said.
    Horrible situation.
    I have dealt with a lot of sketchy people before like that when i try to purchase horses off the track to retrain.

One woman called me over the phone because she saw an ad that i was trading my finished jumper pony for a prospect (long story) and told me she had a horse for me blah blah blah. So i get there and this horse is obviously RIGHT off the track though (still had racing plates on) she said she has had him for two years (she also told me he was 7 and he was really 3, thank god for racing records). So we watch him lunge and he is off on his front left. She tells me he came in from pasture that way so we take him home on a two week trial in hopes that it was just a sprain or something. We get him home and after a few days the ferrier re shoes him, the vet looks at him takes xrays and all that. (meanwile the lady calls me daily to ask if i made a decision yet)
    The next day i get a call from her shipper (who was also the father of one of her friends) asking me about the horse and all that. After i told him it was still lame he told me that they picked the horse up the day before i got there and that the horse was heading to the meat market because it had irreversable injuries to its legs and would never beable to race or be ridden again but she knew that i wanted a 16 hand gelding and was willing to trade.
    The vet confirms what he said. So i call the lady back and tell her that i do not want this horse and she needs to come pick it up asap and bring my horse back. Well she gives me some sob story about how she doesnt have a trailer blah blah blah, then asks what is wrong. When i tell her about the injury and that there is no way it happened in the paddock so she obviously lied about it she starts arguing with me. I told her that i didnt care and that we would be there tomorrow to pick my horse up.
    The she has the nerve to ask me if i would sell her my horse!

My thoughts are that she already had a buyer lined up for my horse and might have already sold him since she could get more money for him in her area than i could.

Long story short, there are lots of sketchy people in the horse business!

Oh and, i found my little pony the best home ever and he is very happy
    *Ask me about my Thoroughbred!*

Shes beautiful- how sad that she didnt get the life someone probably paid for her to have - shes' lucky to have ended up with you and your little girl. I was late to see the pictures and am honestly surprised she moves as well as she appears to in that trot because I saw the pictures of her leg first.

What are you going to do with her?

whereabouts are you located??

Default more pics please!

Doyu havea head shot, headon?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

What a mystery! I can certainly understand wanting to find out what is this pony's true story. She looks very comfty with your daughter, looks like fast friends. Thank you for taking her despite her disability. Poor girl, another case of "if only they could tell us what they've been through!"

If you dont get responses keep bumping this thread. SOMEONE surely will see her picture and recognize her. She looks sad in the pictures.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

She is very cute but I would agree she looks sad...Maybe she just needs some TLC and reassurance that she has not been forgotten and she may be a great pony for some little kid to love...Have you had the vet u/s the leg? Is she going to be rideable?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Bump-I'd love for you to learn where this pony came from. She is so pretty. I am so glad she found you.

Did you vet indicate that the pony could have foundered - did the vet do a radiograph? It looks a foundered hoof. Sometimes in the case of founder a deep flexor tenotomy is done to relieve pressure and reduce pedal bone rotation. It's mostly done to salvage the hoof and allow the horse/pony to be pasture sound. If, in fact, this was done, you are right that the pony was well taken care of as it is a surgical procedure. He is a very nice pony and wouldn't be surprised if he has a nice show record.

I agree with all the posters. So, lets find out this pony's name and give her credit for what she was, and still is!!!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies