The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sheila, we were just talking about the tornados at dinner last Sunday evening. I wasn't there, but some of the people at dinner had their rooms totally flooded, trees down - very scary! Nationals are there again in 2009. Hopefully, it won't happen again!

Yes, Jimmy is the son of Robin Rost Fairclough and Jimmy Fairclough. Jimmy is extremely famous for combined driving and Robin is a hunter/jumper trainer.

His mom is a hunter jumper trainer who won the AHSA Medal in 1974 and was 2nd in the Maclay in 1973. Pretty cool.

Tornado year - Lying under the table while the wind blew outside with Sheila, CJ, and Lori (at that time at Findlay) sitting on the floor with all their kids, all I could think of was where's Eddie (VI) in all this? While Steve Webguy chatted all night and actually remembered (if my memory serves me) to bring his notebook with him from his hotel room! And us convincing our kids to get on the plane the next morning in between tornados. "Yeah, it will be a big plane, a big, large jet with huge engines, won't even feel the wind. No - no worries. Oh it's a 50 seater Candair regional, great! We'll be FINE. Really! Just hop on and we'll be home real soon. We'll fly around the tornados. On you go, now! No worries!" While my hands shook as I hate to fly in normal conditions never mind bad weather!! And then having the most smooth beautiful flight home with the trophy stowed safely above our heads. Magic.

And how about the year the stabling tents blew down at Cazenovia. Most of the horses went to the state fair stalls. Our two - 16.33hh and 17hh - lived in the "mini horse" pens (low walled stalls) in the back barn. We just kept feeding our boys hay to convince them not to step on over and out of the stalls!

It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyAgain View Post
    Sheila, we were just talking about the tornados at dinner last Sunday evening. I wasn't there, but some of the people at dinner had their rooms totally flooded, trees down - very scary! Nationals are there again in 2009. Hopefully, it won't happen again!
    That was my Freshman year...my car got a rediculous amount of hail damage from that storm. I really liked showing at that location though- I'm glad the show is going back there!

Quote Originally Posted by Darden View Post
    We'll be FINE. Really! Just hop on and we'll be home real soon. We'll fly around the tornados. On you go, now! No worries!"

LOL....Oh, the good old days!!!! ROFLOL...
    RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

Quote Originally Posted by Darden View Post

And how about the year the stabling tents blew down at Cazenovia. Most of the horses went to the state fair stalls. Our two - 16.33hh and 17hh - lived in the "mini horse" pens (low walled stalls) in the back barn. We just kept feeding our boys hay to convince them not to step on over and out of the stalls!

They were so good to stay in those pens. Saints, really.

I miss the kids very much. And Indiana.

All those college kids out there who had to take exams at Nationals or crunch them in beforehand- You are so very lucky to have the IHSA and because of the IHSA,Varsity's. It must have been tough fitting in school work with competing, but you can tell your grand kids you competed at the Nationals. You should be very proud.
    RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

Yah - you should have seen me trying to make up my work work after being gone, then heading to Keswick the following Friday! (This week isn't looking any better, with Devon and son's graduation! I worked all weekend to get a start on this week. )

Congrats to Matt P. -- he is an amazing rider!!! I knew him when he was 10 years old and doing walk trot!!

The year I qualified for Nationals (way back in the dark ages...) I had been showing at Syracuse and Saratoga before leaving for Kentucky. I hadn't gone to a class in about 3 weeks, showed in the jumpers in Saratoga, ran to my car, flew to the airport and just made the plane. I didn't have any clean show clothes with me - just laundry money. I had so much work when I got back, but it was worth it!

My niece was in Tenn with Findlay that year. Was evacuated from her room in the middle of the night. Said she had to run down a glassed in stairwell to get to the safe spot and that the weather looked wild. The main worry they all had was their horses.

Talking nationals '03

I remember being in Murfreesboro for Nationals in 2003... my friend Kim and I (we went to VI) were braiding VI's, and some other horses the night there were bad storms. That was so scary! We were in those tent stalls braiding and you could hear lightning striking the ground all around the tents. Luckily we went home the day before they had tornadoes! I just remember Eddie calling the next day and telling us stories about how he slept under the sink in his hotel room... scary!

Mystery solved! Eddie was under the sink!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyingRiding View Post
    Oo go Charlotte Powers!! What a great rider!
    Thanks so much!! You all are so nice

It was a fun class, and hopefully I'll get to try again next year