The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This has been very interesting read. Congrats to all the teams! I am wondering (knowing NOTHING about IHSA) how they determine at what level a rider competes? Is is merit? Seems like a pretty cool format to just get on and go! I know a few women that have competed in IHSA (and graduated out!) maybe they will compete as alumnae....(Nicki...Laura...Katie...and others!!)
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Default in addition...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Indian View Post
    To answer my own question, I hear (from my friend volunteering) that Elvenstar donated the majority of the horses.
    Dennis Campbell of Tartan Farms in Del Mar brought 7 horses, Roberta Jackson of Sweetwater Farms had 5 or so, Karen Perlow brought a ton (and organized all the horses, so props to her)...Stanford had a barnful as well and I know they used some of Elvenstar's horses.

There were also a ton of privately donated horses. We got a lot of great quality horses from all the teams and owners, so props to them.

Cal Poly pomona also donated their horses and did an awesome job (especially in Western).

Was anyone else a bit appalled at the number of pelhams in Walk Trot? I thought it was a bit bizarre to put horses in that bit for a walk trot class, even though I'm sure a lot of the walk trot riders jump at home, etc....still, I felt as if it were a bit inappropriate. The horse owners really did not have much to say about what division their horses went in. The east coast horse committee had most of the say, and that would be my primary complaint about the organization of the horse show.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrider View Post
    Eagerly awaiting Cacchione results here - but a question about the AQHA High Point Rider competition. (seems odd to be posting this in H/J - but oh well). Could someone explain how the scoring works for the rail phase? I assume that this is run somewhat similar to a flat phase in the Cacchione - working as a group at the walk, jog and lope. The scores seem very spread out, much more so that the usual flat phase scores in the Cacchione.

The top two riders have scores of 211 and 210 respectively, then its 148, 133, 111, 106, 88, 76 to round out the top 8 - seems like a LOT of variation. Also, one rider has a score of 1 and five riders have zeros - surely there can't have been that many falls or eliminations.....

Anyone familiar with IHSA western want to explain how this works to an HJ rider?
    In AQHA, point values are assigned to each placing; there is a pretty big variance between each placings points to make it less likely you'll have a tie. The judges don't talk to each other to determine placings, so they take the placings of each card (in this case, 2), assign the point values to the placings, then add them together to get the overall point total. Rider with the most points wins. They did the same thing for reining; the overall reining score was not added to the point totals.

I believe there were ~20 AQHA High Point riders, and the scoring system only goes to 15 or 16 (I could be off on that), so that is how riders could have just 1 point (or none) without falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    This has been very interesting read. Congrats to all the teams! I am wondering (knowing NOTHING about IHSA) how they determine at what level a rider competes? Is is merit? Seems like a pretty cool format to just get on and go! I know a few women that have competed in IHSA (and graduated out!) maybe they will compete as alumnae....(Nicki...Laura...Katie...and others!!)
    Level is determined by experiance and blue ribbons won...

Walk Trot - Have you had less than 24 weeks of instruction in any discipline?
    Beginner WTC - Have you ever competed in ANY mounted competition which required you to canter or lope or have you had more than 24 weeks of instruction in any discipline?
    Advanced WTC - Have you competed over fences higher than 18” in ANY competition?
    Novice Flat - Have you competed in “recognized” competitions in any discipline or have you competed over fences 2’9” or higher in ANY competition recognized or not?
    Novice Fences - Have you competed in any over fences class in a recognized show?
    Intermediate FlatHave you wont more than 5 equitation classes on the flat in recognized shows?
    Intermediate Fences - Have you won more than 6 blue ribbons in classes over fences 3’, 3’3”, 3’6” or higher in recognized competitions?
    Open Flat - Have you won more than 10 blue equitation ribbons on the flat in recognized shows?
    Open Fences - Have you won more than 6 blue ribbons over fences 3’6” or higher in recognized shows?

Congrats to everyone involved. And KY's open rider certainly was "on" for the team events...earning 14 of her team's 21 points. And it was great to see so many of the "non riding schools" up there in the ribbons. I would love to see each rider's major and year published with the results. Some of these riders are so multi-talented.

Anyone watch the individual open classes? Any standouts in there from fences or flat? Did they test with anything tough?

Quote Originally Posted by HidEnt View Post
    Open Fences - Have you won more than 6 blue ribbons over fences 3’6” or higher in recognized shows?

And that is ribbons in ANY recognized classes 3'6" and over, not just equitation. The "recognized shows" part is interesting, because a rider could compete in only local, unrated shows in 3'6" classes but as long as they haven't done rated shows could still do IHSA at the novice level for over fences classes.

Anyone watch the individual open classes? Any standouts in there from fences or flat? Did they test with anything tough?
    I watched the open over fences class, they called the top four back to test. It was pretty basic, there was a trot fence, a halt and a counter canter fence. The girl called back in first won the class with a beautiful ride but the girl in 2nd dropped to 4th, and the girl called back in the 4th spot moved up to 2nd.

Default YEAH UK!!!

C-A-T-S! CATS CATS CATS!!!!

Nice job everyone! You made me proud to be a UKET alum!
    Illinois Equine Attorney - www.zipptocourt.com

Thanks for the replies on how the western classes work - the scores make a lot more sense now.

This is the disadvantage of riding in Zone 1 as an undergrad - we didn't have western.

Huge congrats to College of Charleston for finishing 6th! And Hannah Mayer for 2nd in the Cacchione!

Beginner WTC - Have you ever competed in ANY mounted competition which required you to canter or lope or have you had more than 24 weeks of instruction in any discipline?
    Advanced WTC - Have you competed over fences higher than 18” in ANY competition?
    Novice Flat - Have you competed in “recognized” competitions in any discipline or have you competed over fences 2’9” or higher in ANY competition recognized or not?
    Novice Fences - Have you competed in any over fences class in a recognized show?
    Intermediate FlatHave you wont more than 5 equitation classes on the flat in recognized shows?
    Intermediate Fences - Have you won more than 6 blue ribbons in classes over fences 3’, 3’3”, 3’6” or higher in recognized competitions?
    Open Flat - Have you won more than 10 blue equitation ribbons on the flat in recognized shows?

Congrats to everyone involved. And KY's open rider certainly was "on" for the team events...earning 14 of her team's 21 points. And it was great to see so many of the "non riding schools" up there in the ribbons. I would love to see each rider's major and year published with the results. Some of these riders are so multi-talented.

Just to be more specific, this is copied from the IHSA rulebook:

8102 Specifications for Placement of New Hunter Seat Riders

A. Hunter Seat Riders

1. Walk-Trot riders are those who have had no more than 24 weeks of instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition which required them to canter or lope. Walk-Trot riders have two years of eligibility starting with their initial completion of the online individual membership form.

2. Walk-Trot-Canter riders eligible for class 2A are those who have had more than 24 weeks of instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition that required them to jump more than eighteen inches. Once the Beginning Walk-Trot-Canter rider has accumulated 18 points, s/he must move to Walk-Trot-Canter Hunter Seat Equitation (2B). Walk Trot Canter riders eligible for class 2B are those who have not competed in any over fences class at two feet, nine inches (2’9”) or higher in any competition, nor have those 2B riders competed in any recognized competition.

3. Novice riders on the flat are those who have won no more than five Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Novice riders over fences have won no more than six classes in any over fences class three feet (3’) or higher in recognized competitions. To be eligible for Class 4, Novice Equitation over Fences, riders must have had at least six months continuous professional instruction over fences within the past year.

4. Intermediate riders on the flat are those who have won six to ten Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Intermediate riders over fences have won no more than six classes in any over fences class three feet, six inches (3’6”) or higher in recognized competitions.

5. Open riders on the flat are those who have won more than ten Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Open riders over fences are those who have won more than six classes in any over fences class three feet, six inches (3’6”) or higher in recognized competitions.

6. Based on a rider’s credentials they may be initially assigned to the appropriate jumping division that is lower than their flat division or to a flat division that is one level lower than their jumping division. Novice Hunter Seat Equitation over Fences riders may not show below Novice Hunter Seat Equitation on the Flat.
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Wow cool so theoretically you could be a grand prix rider (that never showed in eq) and even a GP WINNER and still be eligible for other than open? Wow. I love reading about the teams though! Any NCAA teams in/near the east coast?
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    Wow cool so theoretically you could be a grand prix rider (that never showed in eq) and even a GP WINNER and still be eligible for other than open?
    No "Open riders over fences are those who have won more than six classes in ANY over fences class three feet, six inches (3’6”) or higher in recognized competitions."

huh that's funny. It looks like they changed the 'questions'/determination of levels a bit since I filled out my forms (5 years ago).

CACheeze Guest

Default YAY

I'm totally stoked to read all of the above responces and see that everybody seemed to have a great time at Nationals. I was one of seven girls that was involved in organizing the whole show. It was way more work then any of us ever thought but we've gotten such great feedback. The horses were amazing, they worked so hard. Our horse providers totally rocked- USC, Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Poly SLO, Stanford, UCSD, USD, OC Riding Academy, Thatcher School in Ojai, and Elvenstar plus a bunch of private owners/trainers donated horses for the show. All the ponies were amazingly well behaved and adjusted to the equidome really really well.

Thanks to all of you that came and showed, and all of you who volunteered- we couldn't have pulled it off wihtout you all... .YAY for the WEST COAST pulling it off in style :-)

Equi Guest

Default Nationals Horses

I thought the horses were fantastic! Way to go to Stanford and USC for finding so many great horses! There were almost 90 of them.

They got Marnye Langer to lend Classy and Carlo and they were nicer than anything I've seen at a National IHSA Finals. My other favorites were definitely Cadillac Jack from Karen Perlow's Grandview, Cascaduer from Elvenstar, Dino, and Wellie, Dreamer, Lux and Bombay from Stanford. I thought that those horses were better than any Cacchione work-off horses I saw in MA or PA.

That being said, some of the lower levels were uneven. I'm still unclear why there were so many HUGE horses in Walk Trot! (They chose Thacher's Shaq at 18hh and Stanford's Louis at 17hh instead of some of the smaller, sweet horses).

I also thought that Sue Ashe and Michael Page did a great job judging. Instead of just judging the pretty riders, they really worked the classes, asking for collection, extension, etc and that really weeded out some of the weeker riders.

Congrats to Sarah Spainhour, Charlotte Powers, and Ashley Phillips!!!

All the CUET's placed! YAY!!
    "The horse you get off is not the same as the horse you got on. It's your job to make sure he's better "
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1495740009
    ~*Dani*~

AND for all the southern people interested, the 2009 National Championships are being held at Middle Tennessee State University
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by Equi View Post
    I thought the horses were fantastic! Way to go to Stanford and USC for finding so many great horses! There were almost 90 of them.

They got Marnye Langer to lend Classy and Carlo and they were nicer than anything I've seen at a National IHSA Finals. My other favorites were definitely Cadillac Jack from Karen Perlow's Grandview, Cascaduer from Elvenstar, Dino, and Wellie, Dreamer, Lux and Bombay from Stanford. I thought that those horses were better than any Cacchione work-off horses I saw in MA or PA.

That being said, some of the lower levels were uneven. I'm still unclear why there were so many HUGE horses in Walk Trot! (They chose Thacher's Shaq at 18hh and Stanford's Louis at 17hh instead of some of the smaller, sweet horses).
    Yeah I didn't understand why Shaq had to go in that WT class. The poor girl tried really really hard (not sure how she pinned) but there's only certain amount you can do when you're a short person on a horse named Shaq. Also, again, I'm not sure how half of them were in pelhams for wt...It seemed that half of the horses were used A LOT and the other half sat in their stalls after the initial warm ups in the morning...

Thanks to ALL the schools and ALL the private owners who donated...Karen Perlow (USC's coach) did a fantastic job recruiting horses from all the schools. USD, UCSD brought barnfuls of very, very nice horses as well.

The levels and criteria were revised last summer, for those who remember something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Equi View Post

I also thought that Sue Ashe and Michael Page did a great job judging. Instead of just judging the pretty riders, they really worked the classes, asking for collection, extension, etc and that really weeded out some of the weeker riders.
    Oh that's funny. Michael Page is doing a clinic at Findlay this weekend.

I supplied horses a few years back and I'll tell you a bit about the horse choices that year. Before the show started, we schooled each of the horses for the horse selectors and they made preliminary plans for which horses to use in which divisions.

Then, each morning, we would school the horses again and the horse selectors would make final decisions based on how the horses were going that morning. Some of my horses did a lot of work and some didn't get used in any classes. The horse selectors job is to try and be sure that the playing field is as level as possible for everyone in the class. This meant that any horse that didn't have flying changes didn't get used over fences that year. Any horse that didn't go in a nice frame didn't get used on the flat.

We supplied the tack for the horses and we were never asked to change anything, so the horses that went in pelhams this year came that way from their owners. The draw is blind, so a huge horse and a little rider is just "luck of the draw". (Had that happen to me at Regionals when I did IHSA - I'm 5' and the horse was 17.2)

I will say that supplying horses the year I went, although exhausting, was one of the best experiences I've ever had. The managers of the show had the stalls bedded and ready for us - we arrived at 2 am and were very thankful for that!! They supplied t-shirts for my kids to wear every day, everything we needed for the horses, food for the helpers- it was awesome. Everyone was wonderful and I would repeat the experience in a minute.