The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WOW... Satchmo - Werth, Isabell - 79.120 %

WOW... Check out the scores, esp the GPS:
    http://www.eurodressage.com/scores/2008/hagen.html
    WOW... Check out these great pics from the show:
    http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/...grandprix.html

OK... My computer decided to shut off... I SWEAR I was just about done with this post and had to redo the whole thing.

Anyway, my question is this... INTERNATIONALLY, who do you think are the strongest rider/horse pairs out there, and who do you think will win the medals at the Olympics individually? I think Isabell will definately be the contender to beat for the GOLD, and I'm sure Anky will be up there, but... what about you?

AND, do you think there is an AMERICAN pair out there right now that could knock on the door for an individual medal? I seen on this forum that we may not even be close to a team medal this time around, but how about an individual bronze medal or possibly silver? Anyone even close? Debbie? Steffan? Catherine? Lisa? Courtney? Kristina? Anyone that with the ride of their life, could pull it off?

THANKS. Can't wait to read your thoughts...
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

i cannot expect even the 'ride of one's life' to be insanely higher scoring than ever before. this really doesn't happen, if anything, the travel, strange country and pressure of the olympics and the top judges makes people score somewhat lower, but usually, people score pretty consistently what they have scored all along.

no, i don't think an american is going to beat the people who have been scoring much higher.

i don't think the differences between the top 2-3 riders is very much, i think it varies a little from competition to competition, and also feel that anyone can make a mistake or have a bad day.

I think Canuckian Ashley Holzer (based in US now but still rides for Canada) might just maybe have a chance at a medal!

It will be a european sweep...
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Probably.

Default Holy Nice Duo Batman...

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    I think Canuckian Ashley Holzer (based in US now but still rides for Canada) might just maybe have a chance at a medal!
    She has been riding well, and her guy is so nice. THEY are a great pair indeed!

On another note, it looks like Matine is out... The right decision of course, but does that open it up? And would love to see more replies about who you all like in the top three spots (EUROPEAN wise -or Canadian) and also do you think an American can break the top 5? Or the top 10 this time around? And who do you think WOULD be the highest scoring American - if they make the team...
    Last edited by TeddyRocks; May. 8, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add news
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

Honestly, I think it's impossible to predict who will be at the top in the next Olympics. All I know is, the judging at the highest levels of the sport is seriously f*#@*d up. Consistently it has been the most INCORRECT rides that have won (impure gaits, horse's failing to halt, piaffe on the forehand, passagy trots, horses b/t/v, toe flinging instead of true extensions (no lengthening of the frame), lateral tendencies in walk, etc etc), and by ridiculously huge margins.

So sure, I'd like to hear a discussion on who people think are the best riders out there - but I think that has very little bearing on who will actually be winning.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeback View Post
    It will be a european sweep...
    Probably. But which ones? The Germans and Dutch will take gold/silver - and not necessarily in that order - but who will take bronze? Will it be the Spanish, or will the Danish manage to field a strong enough team?

Ok, much can change before the olympics, but I'll throw caution to the wind and go out on a limb:

Individual:

ISABEL-gold (I think her time may have come again. She is at the top of her game with two great horses)
    ANKY-silver
    IMKE-bronze (depends on how the mare handles it-she seems to get frazzled at times. I love her, though!)

Team:

Dutch Gold
    german Silver
    ? bronze

You read it here first!

I think:

For GP:
    Isabell
    Anky

Imke

For freestyle:
    Isabell
    Anky
    or
    Anky Isabell

Imke

I think the top will be Isabell and Anky...

Not a chance in hell that an American will even place. Sad, and should get the bells and guns out for the next ten years around the states. (I hope!)
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

If they field a team I think Spain will bronze
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Cookie Dough is the Sushi of Desserts
    Introverted Since 1957

Ok, much can change before the olympics, but I'll throw caution to the wind and go out on a limb:

Individual:

ISABEL-gold (I think her time may have come again. She is at the top of her game with two great horses)
    ANKY-silver
    IMKE-bronze (depends on how the mare handles it-she seems to get frazzled at times. I love her, though!)

Team:

Dutch Gold
    german Silver
    ? bronze

You read it here first!

Sista- you're on- that sounds like a really SAFE bet....what about Kyra though- me thinks she could be good...! and Laura B might just grow up enough to really get it...???

team:
    Dutch/Germs/Brits....no that's a going out on a limb...LOL~
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

We Maritimers are awfully proud of Ashley. I'm keeping fingers crossed