The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welsh Cobs and dressage saddles

So we recently added another mare to the family, and are having a hard time finding a dressage saddle to fit her. She is a welsh/tb cross and has a fairly wide back and really no pronounced wither. So what are you welsh cob people using for saddles? We have tried a m/w Albion, Dominus, and a wide Frank Baines, all of which tip you forward while riding. So, Any suggestions out there? Thanks! And here's a picture of her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EllieDec07_14_rs.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	20747  

I have one that goes in a Custom Saddlery Victory model, if I'm not mistaken. Love the saddle, it works on WBs and now this chunky monkey.

I don't have a cob, but a super wide mutton withered horse- I have a Schleese Infinity and it's absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sassparella View Post
    So we recently added another mare to the family, and are having a hard time finding a dressage saddle to fit her. She is a welsh/tb And here's a picture of her.
    and what does the cob side of her pedigree look like ??

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Here is her pedigree:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bryn...gwen+awela+mai

She came to us this spring as an event prospect for my youngest daughter. To be frank, I have fallen in love with this cross ~ a ton of "bounce per ounce" and as brave and true to a fence as the day is long.

Now, to find a dressage saddle that will fit them properly!

I have the following: Niedersuss Symphonie wide tree, Niedersuss Olympique wide tree, Keith Bryan Santis wide tree. I have found the Albion SL wide tree to work OK and I've used my friends HDR wide tree on one of mine as well. The Keith Bryan was a custom fit. The others were all "off the rack". I have friends who swear by the Black Country line of dressage saddle for their welsh cobs too.

Black country.

Black Country or Duett --both have hoop trees to better fit wide bodied horses with low withers.

Thank you for your input! I now have a definite direction (as opposed to trying everything). I've never tried the Black Country -- any opinions on the different models?
    Sheryl

I ended up w/ a Black Country Equinox....might not be a good choice if you plan to show. It's technically an endurance saddle made for Trumbull Mtn....

But my guy is so short and round I have to ride w/ a shorter stirrup to compensate and couldn't get my knees back behind the dressage blocks....

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn J-L View Post
    Black Country or Duett --both have hoop trees to better fit wide bodied horses with low withers.
    Lovatt and RIcketts also makes a saddle with a hoop tree, and the Albion SLK can be ordered with a hoop tree.

I have a Welsh Cob and have had much success with Prestige. My previous saddle was a 2000D and it was wonderful, he did grow out of it and my new saddle is a Prestige Doge, which is very similar to the optimax. It's a 34 cm.
    Hope this helps you!
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    I ended up w/ a Black Country Equinox....might not be a good choice if you plan to show. It's technically an endurance saddle made for Trumbull Mtn....

But my guy is so short and round I have to ride w/ a shorter stirrup to compensate and couldn't get my knees back behind the dressage blocks....
    According to the folks at Trumbull Mtn., the Equinox CAN be made without the d-rings and in a varitey of leather choices--they told me they sell a lot of customized Equinox saddles to dressage riders (the close contact of the monoflap is nice). I tried both the Equinox and the Eloquence X (the dressage model with a hoop tree). I liked both, but eventually decided to get the Eloquence X. Since most of my horses are short backed as well as wide, I got the upswept panels instead of the normal gusseted panels. Black Country shipped my customized saddle three weeks after I ordered it!

(I also tried a Duett model, but found it too hard in the seat for me. YMMV)

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_%2...ackcountry.htm (the Eloquence X is the third saddle on the page)

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_%2...Cequinox_1.htm (the Equinox II)

Barnsby saddles are pretty good for the Welshy and Welshy crosses.

The Raven and the Luxus would be worth looking at as they both have short points on the tree which accommodtes those big-moving shoulders. I don't think they make the Raven now but you would probably find one second hand.

http://www.barnsby.com/saddles/barnsby_luxus/?RangeID=

My trainer has a purebred cob. He is basically a roly poly monster, with no withers, and she has a jrd semicustom saddle
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes" ~ Douglas Adams

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Not Welsh, but cobs... Stupid-wide...

Treeless such as the Fhoenix is fabulous.

Treed:
    ~Duett fit horse but not rider
    ~Prestige, ditto. I will/would try again with different models, as I too need the more forward flap due to stupid-wideness.
    ~Reactor Panel was fabulous until we outgrew the tree (at age 9--work not 'growth')
    ~Passier-withOUT gussets is the Three Bears' Porridge. #5 tree, widened.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Sent my Welsh/TB pony's tracings off to Pelham Saddlery a few years ago and the only thing they found to fit her was a Wide Neidersuss Symphonie. Lucky for me I absolutely love it. It fits her like a glove.

Duett, Lazer, some Passiers.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I have a Duett Aria and it throws me forward.

Hate that.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

For a flat-backed horse, my (adjustable) Laser 747 fits my Friesians and Holsteiner and TB/Andy. Never any sore backs. Absolutely love it. For them *and* me.

The Prestige 36mm rocked -- but not in a good way -- and the Niedersuss wide was too narrow. I tried a Duett and it fit like it was custom made for one of my Friesians but I couldn't wait to dismount.