The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone sell one of their wb horses (bred/raised) to the police dept as a police horse

That is my question.

I have a police dept. interested in one of my geldings.....he is such a good guy. SO, bomb proof and "matter of fact" like about everything he does.

SO, is this a good idea? I'm going to go to the station and check things out before. I remember touring their place as a teen. Even watched some of their demos as a teen. They were impressed when they saw my gelding being rode right next to a train track and a train came down it and he never even flinched an ear!! (Less than 20' away!!!) And with him tied to the trailer and a huge semi went behind him--about 8 feet from his butt. He did nothing.

They are the only people that have not been bothered by his calcified splints.

:
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecrazy27 View Post
    That is my question.

I have a police dept. interested in one of my geldings.....he is such a good guy. SO, bomb proof and "matter of fact" like about everything he does.

SO, is this a good idea? I'm going to go to the station and check things out before. I remember touring their place as a teen. Even watched some of their demos as a teen. They were impressed when they saw my gelding being rode right next to a train track and a train came down it and he never even flinched an ear!! (Less than 20' away!!!) And with him tied to the trailer and a huge semi went behind him--about 8 feet from his butt. He did nothing.

They are the only people that have not been bothered by his calcified splints.

:
    I have no experience at this, but I would be worried for the horse's safety. Of course, I'm a real mother hen. So take that as you will.

Okay.... this is strange, I didn't even thing about his safty!! That is soooooooooooooo unlike me????????? I have just thought of him being in his little outfit, being admired by on lookers. Being "the man" at events to keep others safe! I didn't think about him getting hurt???? GEEZ---I'm a bad mom.

I will be asking questions about that. Thanks.

I leased a quarter horse to the police dept. mounted patrol before. It was too a lady. I regret it now, when the horse came back from his first trip out, he was totally freaked out. It took a while to be able to ride him normally again. I do think that it was mostly the lady's fault, not the police dept. I think if they are knowledglable people and know how what the steps are to break the gelding (if hes not broke yet) then i think that it will be fine. Plus, im guessing the place is nearby so you could always go and check on him! But I would def. check it out and see what kind of people they are and how they intend to introduce the horse to all its new jobs.

Default Thanks

He is broke. 7 mo. undersaddle and super smart. LAID back and EASY!

She (police officer) was telling me that she has started 3 horses there and they are all wonderful and loved so much!! She said they are rode about 6 times a week. They are "worked/trained" 3 days and then 3 days rode in the grassy park and allowed to gallup and eat grass. Mingle with people and see other things. They are turned out on a daily basis too and fed really well with constant vet care. They wear easy boots (most of them) and groomed daily.

I will ask more about the training. They do have a 30 day --try and buy thing.

sigh. I'll think about it some more.

Applesauce that posts mostly on the H/J forum used to ride for the police dept in my area. She would have valuable insight on this for you. Her webpage is: http://hiddenrockfarm.com/
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I do mounted patrol. I am bringing along my 5yo to be my own mount.

They are very well cared for. Adored by fans. Worked hard, yes, but much like police K-9's, police horses are truly PARTNERS in the work. There is amazing video from a Mardi Gras (before Katrina) where an officer is dealing with stuff in front of him, a drunk comes up to try to attack him from behind--and without the officer's even KNOWING the guy was there--the HORSE took care of the bad guy. Too cool.

It's work. But most horses love real work.

It's dangerous. But so is police work. It is not uncommon for an equine or canine to save it's officer's life. In the same way, most officers will do whatever it takes for their partner. We have fabulous laws in Maine making any crimes against a police horse or dog a felony. Most of us are of the opinion that it is worth the risks if you can save even one life.

It's a remarkable job too. I've never ONCE had a father bring his child up to meet me when I'm sitting in a cruiser. The level of visibility is key... as is the psychological advantage.

I'd be plenty willing to email more privately if you'd like. Me, I'm biased, but I think it's a privelege.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

We have three retired NYPD horses and I can say first hand they are well cared for on the force. One was on the force for 9 years! At the NYPD they are put through an academy of sorts. They take their time and often they do take green horses. Our Clydesdale they got as a 3 year old and broke him out. They still can have spooks so even in the best of situations any horse can have a "moment". What gets to our Clydesdale, the Corn fields when the corn is tall and the wind is blowing. I swear he is thinking the "children of the Corn" are going to jump out at him. He never takes his eyes off that field.

No matter how bombproof or otherwise, it still can be a stressful job, dealing with crowds, routy people, drunks or whatever. There are amazingly wonderful other times too on patrol in parades or just being a good will ambassador. When I see how the officers speak of their horses as if they are their children you know they are into their horses heart and soul.

We consider ourselves fortunate and blessed to have 3 of New York's Finest on our farm to live out their days, and we get to ride them too!

"Farrier" that posts here is retired Park Police. Maybe he will see this topic.

We didn't bred/raise this one, but we did sell a lovely (and adored and missed!) Beligan draft horse mare to the Miami Dade mounted police last fall, and I am 100% certain that they are taking excellent care of her. We have a standing invite to come down and visit anytime we want, and contact phone numbers. When she's done serving Miami's *finest* (honestly, bike and patrol cops are not nearly as fine as mounted cops ) they will call us and see if we'd like her back. Since she's just 4 last month, it'll be a while before that call comes, but I hope and wish we'll have room for her then - or we'll make some room!

You could try him with a few of the mounted police exercises, some of the scarier ones, and see how he takes to it. When I heard the MP was interested, we got to work dragging poles from on horseback, scary umbrellas, etc. He certainly sounds very level headed - our girl seemed to enjoy the 'games', which just made the match even better!

It really depends on the police department. The Toronto Mounted Police have a great program and the horses are trained partners like the K9 unit, but other places the horses are more "transportation" to places it's hard to get to (i.e. park trails).

It *can* be dangerous - someone deliberatly ran down one of the Toronto horses a couple of years ago
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Thank you!

Great information! Yesk, anyone who wants to pm me on their advice I'd love it!

Let me know some of the "games" and I'll try them!

NOW feeling better about it again!

I was really focused on the hero side of it all. He sure looks like a police man, I'd swear he would be Mr. Dudley Do Right.

We have two police horses at our barn. Those are the two best cared for horses I've seen in a long time. The police truly take fabulous care with them. And I love sneaking a look at their training. It's amazing!

I would not hesitate to sell one of my horses as a police horse.

a few things I've found on google:

The horse must be prepared to correctly deal with the search environment ... which includes: excited people and dogs, flashing lights, flashlights, spot lights, fire trucks/ambulances, sirens, motorcycles, road flares, bicycles, helicopters, umbrellas, bridges, streams and ditches. (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/caswell/cx_cmhp.html)

there's some fun pictures of training on this page: http://www.idacs.net/kwpdmounted/training_pics.htm

Another website (http://www.ci.ftlaud.fl.us/police/motintro.html) has this list of things for them to Get Over: Sensory Training & Obstacles

1. Noise
    1. Car & Truck horns
    2. Police sirens
    3. Loud music and crowd noise
    4. Firecrackers
    5. Gunfire
    6. Motorcycles and loud trucks and machinery
    2. Visual
    1. Police overhead lights
    2. Smoke
    3. Signs and banners
    4. Balloons, umbrellas, etc.
    5. Things blowing across the ground
    6. Fire
    3. Obstacles
    1. Tires
    2. Step over poles on the ground
    3. Low jumps
    4. Shopping cart monster
    5. Car wash obstacle
    6. See-saw bridge
    7. Climb steps and jump off platform
    8. Jug of noise (pull off pole and drag across ground)
    9. Walk over strange items on the ground
    10. Back up through "L"
    11. Cross over railroad tracks and draw bridges

Obviously, some of that is going to be more feasible than others, but if he hasn't been out amongst folks, it'd be easy to go to a local horse show and just hang out (assuming reasonable grounds fees) or bring out a stereo and blare some music while riding, or take a trail ride and wait for natural monsters to bound out of the woods at you. Hang streamers off a tree to simulate their 'car wash' obstacle - they're so fragile you never have to worry about them getting tangled around legs - and practice walking through/under i. Scatter balloons around on the ground (horrible monsters indeed!). Start on the ground dragging a pole as you walk next to your boy, do each side until he's quiet - then have it handed up to you and sit quietly until he's ready to move off. Drop it loudly. Try 'Around-the-world' while riding.

Hope that helps!

As veterinarian to one police force and several other units, I can tell you that the horses receive excellent care. They are truly partners with their officers. My police horses have an open check book when it comes to veterinary care. They have better health care coverage than I do (and no deductibles or copays ;-) ).

In our province all the police horses in our capital are WB's (Hanoverians for that part as I come from lower saxony so Hanover would be our capital). They are extremely highly regarded and tend to serve for long years being very well taken care of. Are they at an extra risk: For sure. But I don't think their risk is any higher than that of a sport horse to get injured. These horses get an outstanding training (remember Goldstern originally was Klaus Balkenhol's personal police horse before he made it to the Olympics...) and very good care.
    We take great pride in the fact our police is using our WB's exclusively. And then those horses that leave to become RMPC mounts don't look bad for the breed either do they?
    I think there's nothing wrong with being a policehorse. Afterall they don't go to dangerous events every day but many times patroling is routine work where they get a lot of exercise in fresh air. Not the worst of fates if you ask me.

I was with Mounted Patrol for 11 years (currently I was promoted to a community police officer with the same department, but still maintain my certification) They take wonderful care of the horses, and they mostly are used for crowd contol and public relations. You always have to worry that someone may think it's funny to drive by and shoot at the horse, however that is very unlikely. The more realistic risks are getting struck by a car, (we had one that was hit by a drunk driver), and also thrown objects when working a crowd. Last year one of our horses was struck in the head with a beer bottle. We usually take 12 weeks or more training the horse to get de-sensitized. They have to get used to firecrackers, having an officer shoot a gun, garbage bags blowing down a road, trucks, garbage trucks, helicopters ( we had one land and had to walk very close to it), street sweeper, large unruly crowds, metal grates, pothole covers (many horses don't want to walk over these), drain sewers, handicap ramps, steps (yes we have gone up the steps to city hall and back down) They have to learn to stand quietly while you are arresting someone and handcuffing.

Some horses do very well at it and some get washed out of the program. They do work hard- there are some days that they are out 6-8 hours at a time, wlaking on nothing but the concrete, so a lot of these horses retire due to arthritis. We try to retire ours at 20 years of age, but some have to retire earlier.

I hope that helps!!

Hello,

Well they came today! 5 police officers in all!

My guy is 4, here is what they did.

They watched me saddle, ride him. Then they put their best rider on him. Then they had a long lunge whip with a bunch of "caution" tape on the end of it that they drug around him-- no big deal, (This is with a rider on his back), then they drug it over (neck/face/hips) him, ran it between his legs, no big deal. didn't even move!

Then, they took a water bottle filled with rocks and shook it all over him, on top of him, still he yawned, like---come on dude---give me a BREAK! NO BIG deal.

Then they brought over a pistol (blanks???) and fired it---he just twinked his ears and after around 8 shots around 3-4 feet from him, he took a half a step back, then went back forward. GOSH he is such a good boy!! My husband probably got him used to that because of his paint ball gun that he fires around the house at fake targets.

They ran at him, then ran him into one of them. He did it--then they tried to run him into another guy and he wouldn't. (kinda glad on that one and was in shock that he listed and ran into the first guy??) LOL

He was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything they brought at him, he was good. Each person rode differently and he accepted each rider....even one who I thought was a little but too aggressive with him.

He is probably so quiet from being boarded on one of the worlds most busy roads! He would stand about 10 feet from on coming traffic, including fire trucks with running sirons, police cars, semi's, trailers falling off of trucks (he saw 3 of these that I know of --right next to his large paddock.) people would ride their bikes up to him and feed him carrots, tarps flying in the wind next to him that were covering hay. So, he is pretty accustomed to all that. None of that stuff bothered him. He is fine with loud music, He will walk up steps, ===don't know if he'd jump off, but I kinda think he would.

they were all very sweet (police officers) and really seemed to like his personality. They all did ride him. (easy rides).

So it went good.

They said they retired them at 16, police officer gets first dibs, then volunteers, then the owner that sold him, then public sale.

They have had very good luck with no horses getting hurt by peple who are upset at police officers (my question--if there was retaluations (sp) against the horses). They have lots of video camera's and 24 hour observation. SO, that was good to know.

I'm pooped right now, because we are moving horses from our leased facility to our home and I'm stripping stalls and cleaning like crazy!

Just thought I'd give you guys all the info!

Thought I'd copy and paste the below and see how he "fits".

1. Noise-------------- good, because of the road and my husband who is a giant kid.
    1. Car & Truck horns----- good because of the above and he loves hors, because he'd get a peperment when we would pull up to him, honk and he run over for one.
    2. Police sirens----again, above.
    3. Loud music and crowd noise----music, good from our old barn stereo system--we would get crazy sometimes. Crowd noise.... ?? don't know what he would do, but I'm sure he'd be okay.
    4. Firecrackers----we had fire crackers over our house and he was flat out sleeping!! LOL
    5. Gunfire----well after today, I'd say---good.
    6. Motorcycles and loud trucks and machinery ----good. from above.
    2. Visual----he is an "old soul"....so, think good there too.
    1. Police overhead lights--- don't know.??
    2. Smoke----don't know.
    3. Signs and banners---good He doesn't even look at them.
    4. Balloons, umbrellas, etc.----balloons, don't know---the umbrellas he is good from experc.
    5. Things blowing across the ground---he chases grocery bags blowing in the wind to catch them and tear them up.
    6. Fire -----don't know.
    3. Obstacles----he likes to jump, he will sometimes bulldoze things over.
    1. Tires---could care less.
    2. Step over poles on the ground---does' that good.
    3. Low jumps---good jumper. (Irish crossed/Oldenburg--bred for jumping!)
    4. Shopping cart monster---don't know what this is, but I'm sure he'd be okay with it!
    5. Car wash obstacle---don't know.
    6. See-saw bridge----I wouldn't want that---don't know.
    7. Climb steps and jump off platform---he climbs steps, I'm sure he'd jump off.
    8. Jug of noise (pull off pole and drag across ground)--did that today.
    9. Walk over strange items on the ground---he should be okay with this.
    10. Back up through "L"--He'd do that easy.
    11. Cross over railroad tracks and draw bridges -----think he'd be fine

Well, some holes, but I think he'd be great!

Let the best horse get the job! they have 4 more to look at today.

Thank you guys!! You have made me feel like this is a privledge!

Default Just wanted to make sure

I wanted to make sure I put in here how PROUD I am of my little man.

gosh, he does sound so good!! Wish my 5 year old was half that good. Are you sure you want to let this one go? Then again, I would be very proud to have a horse I bred as a police horse.
    ~ Scarborough Fair Farm ~