The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My bad luck continues

Some of you will remember several years ago when my brood mare colicked carrying an almost full term foal, she had colic surgery but they had to take the foal and euthanize it as it was too large to leave in and would have compromised the incision. The mare recovered nicely and with my vets blessing I bred her last year for a 2008 foal. All had gone well, she was healthy, happy and as big as a house. Thank God a little voice told me to foal her out at a local vet who does nothing but foalings and inseminations this time of the year. Anyway this weekend the vet had the foaling from Hell, it started off as a red bad delivery and then he realised that the foal was breech, feet first presentation. It took 6 people to get the foal out, dead of course, suffocated in the birth canal. It was a beautiful, healthy filly that decided to lay the wrong way. I am devastated, this is the third dead foal in as many years as another mare delivered a still born foal last year. Has anyone else gone through a run of terrible luck like this.

Unhappy

oh dear, I am so very sorry for you, and for your poor mare.
    How terrible for you, and how sad.
    I wish I could say anything that could be of consolation, but I just have no words adequate.
    I'm just so sorry for you.
    If you ever feel like talking, or coming over for a tea, just give me a call.
    519 756 5803

take care, {{huge hugs}}
    Gail
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I can only say I am sorry!! sometimes those years are just to be "forgotten"

Hugs to you and your mare!
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Yes. I went through a "terrible run of luck" that lasted over 5 years and included family fatality as well as several horses, including one foal. It was crushing and made it difficult for me to stop living my life in constant fear/anxiety for years. It's taken Prozac, a lot of therapy, the recovery of my daughter from her near fatal illness, and finally the birth of an adorable foal despite placentitis this year, for me to start breathing easily enough to smell some roses again.

My ex-husband was a statistician and told me that it's a statistical fact that events "cluster": i.e., it is more common for people to have runs of one kind of luck or the other than anything resembling even distribution. All I can say is please be patient and kind to yourself. You've suffered some horrible wounds and need to give yourself time, rest, peace, and plenty of supports in order to heal.

As my DBT instructor (whose husband had an accident that left him totally paralyzed soon after their wedding) said-- "be kind. We are all engaged in a life and death struggle." and "The only people who don't experience catastrophe in their lives are the ones who haven't lived long enough."

I am very sorry for what you and your mare have gone through, and hope it does help to know that you are not alone in your grief.
    Last edited by fish; May. 5, 2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammatical error

I am so sorry for all the losses you have had, it hardly seems fair, but in time things will turn around for you. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

So, so sorry. I am sure that you luck will get better, it does run in groups. I am glad that you still have your mare too. Hugs for you.

So sorry for your losses..Hope things will turn around for you !

(((big hugs)))
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

What a horrible rough patch. Keep looking up and ahead; good advice I lean on on course and in life.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Kafue, I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible run of horrible events. I hope your cluster is over and you can now enjoy a cluster of good luck.

I really like what fish had to say...
    Cindy Geres

Home of Foxwind SL (Cdn Trakehner and Cdn Sport Horse Approved)
    www.sprucelane.net

I'm so sorry for all of your losses.
    We've had stretches like that. I'm praying that your bad run is over.

I am also very sorry for your losses. Red bag deliveries are scary enough, but it has got to be terrifying to have a red bag breech delivery. I am jingling like mad for you and am hoping and praying that all of the problems have subsided.

Yes indeed. I have a 10 year old hand reared horse having lost his dam, my much loved mare foaling.

That was a nightmare!!

Sorry to hear your bad news and I hope your mare recovers. Any chance of getting an orphan for her to take on??

I'm so sorry for your losses. May it bring you some measure of peace to know that you did everything that you could. Heres hoping that you soon have some reason to celebrate.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

After over 20 years - I can say that if you stay in the business you will have your heart broken more than a few times. But the joys of when things go right eases the pain of the losses.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Breeding can be so sad sometimes. I hope your mare recovers uneventfully.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    My ex-husband was a statistician and told me that it's a statistical fact that events "cluster": i.e., it is more common for people to have runs of one kind of luck or the other than anything resembling even distribution. .

A friend and I call this the sh*t cycle. I never realized it is a statistical fact. If it is any comfort, many of us have gone through these clusters, and it really sucks - the feeling that it will never end.

A few years back, I went through it too. Had a foal get really sick - spent a fortune, he never recovered. His full sister died a week after being born. My riding horse (one of those once in a lifetime horses) died not long after - horrible death, and nothing we could do, it wasn't even safe to get him in a trailer and get him to a surgical unit. At the same time, my other mares weren't getting pregnant. I left a bad job to go work for someone I really, really admired and liked, and he had a stroke right after that - lost a mentor that meant a lot to me (and watched how awful the bosses were to him when they realized he wasn't going to bounce back quickly). A lot of stuff happened all in about 18 months.

Eventually, something good will happen - when you are in a sh*t cycle, eventually it will break and you'll have a string of good things happen. It is so hard to realize or even believe it...

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, know that many of us feel for you...

Yes, sometimes these things hit again and again in rapid sequence. I am so very, very sorry. Fish gave very good advice. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to recover. Sending many jingles for your mare and hugs to you.

SO sorry, yes I too have had this run of bad luck, still too raw for me to write about now, but I really liked what Fish said, hold on, you have what it takes to get through this, I alway feel comfort is this thought, that God only puts in front of us what we can handle. Bless you and we are praying for you and yours. Take care. SSF

So terribly sorry to hear of your loss, what a sad time for you.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro