The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dressage saddle on a budget

I am looking for the best dressage saddle that isnt very expensive. So far everything I found is not fitting my horse correctly. I have been thru 3 saddles in a period of a year and now I am very frustrated. I cant use a wide because it sits right on top of my guys withers. The narrow pinches his withers and shoulders. I am not sure if regular and medium are the same thing. His withers arent wide but he is thru the chest and shoulders. I am only 5'2 so the flaps cant be too long. Any ideas would be very helpful. Any opinions on the crosby freestyle?
    Thanks

No comment on the Crosbym but you could try a used Passier - they're hard, but can be adjusted right down to the tree if you have a qualified fitter in your area.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Dini1 View Post
    I am looking for the best dressage saddle that isnt very expensive. So far everything I found is not fitting my horse correctly. I have been thru 3 saddles in a period of a year and now I am very frustrated. I cant use a wide because it sits right on top of my guys withers. The narrow pinches his withers and shoulders. I am not sure if regular and medium are the same thing. His withers arent wide but he is thru the chest and shoulders. I am only 5'2 so the flaps cant be too long. Any ideas would be very helpful. Any opinions on the crosby freestyle?
    Thanks
    my friend who is 5'5" (she claims) has the Courbette Magic dressage saddle, so i know the flaps arent super long. her TB is HUGE through the front end (shoulders, etc.), looks like a linebacker!! it has some "spring tree" i think they call it, designed to fit a wide range of horses. its also has some sort of treated leather that is waterproof. very nice saddle. also fit my 15.2hh average build paint horse well. it was about $700, www.vtosaddlery.com is where she got it, WONDERFUL service and CHEAP shipping. plus they let u do a trial period where u can ride the saddle and if it doenst work send it back and u get ur $$ back! good luck, i know how sucky saddle fitting issues are, i'm going through my own right now!!

dressage saddles are super expensive now which is discouraging but when I got my horse, I had fallen in love with the Roosli saddle. The woman that had him before used her roosli on all of her horses and they all had different shapes and withers. I got mine used on ebay, but I was allowed to try it out for a trial period. I would, if you can find one, highly suggest a roosli dressage saddle; it fits my horse very nicely

Not sure if this will help, but the Duett Largo has a nicely cut back pommel to give room for a wither, yet is nice and wide for the shoulder.

They sell them at trumbull- www.trumbullmtn.com

What is considered 'budget' for you??? I advise my clients "Give me 1500.... " with that i can almost always (OK so far always but i know one day i'll be stumped!) find SOMETHING that fits the horse WELL in that budget range (BE WHAT EVER style of saddle)

Your best $$$ is spent on a good fitter.... saves alot in the long run
    Brands:\
    duett,
    wintec
    collegiate
    HDR
    Thorowgood
    just to name a few
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

I just love my old ancient Neidersues. you can find them all over the place for under $1,000. but lots of people hate these with a passion, so it's really just a matter of personal preference. you don't expect strangers to help you pick out your bras or bathing suit, right? shopping for a saddle is just about as painful too

Ditto Neidersuss -- and my old Passiers, when I had them, fit a variety of horses pretty well. Saddle shopping is a bitch. My sympathies. Used tack stores are your friends, if you're on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Dini1 View Post
    I am looking for the best dressage saddle that isnt very expensive. So far everything I found is not fitting my horse correctly.
    Look for used, nice quality saddles. If you don't have a saddle fitter nearby, there are places like Rick's that have quite a selection of saddles that they let you try. read up on how saddles should fit, order a likely saddle, and have a friend with to help you determine if it fits (it's helpful to have someone watch your ride to make sure the saddle isn't rocking, and let you know how the saddle puts your leg). Sometimes you can send tracings to used saddle stores, and they can help you over the phone. Try as many used saddles as you can until you get a good feel of what works for you. If you have friends that ride dressage, try their saddles too.

Wink

I second the vote for a saddle fitter! I kept trying to fit my gelding with the super wide shoulders and barrel into a wide saddle. When they sat on his withers, I assumed it was because of his very high withers. Saddle fitter set me straight very quickly. Gelding takes a medium tree! Never would I have believed it! And it seems there's a much bigger selection of used saddles in medium trees

I used an older Kieffer Munchen on my Trakehner mare who was built just like this. She had high withers, but then was very broad throughout the barrel. It fit her like a glove, and was a very classic no-frills saddle that was comfortable and well-balanced to ride in.

What does everyone think of the M. Toulouse saddles? I have an Aachen on trial right now and it fits me and the terribly hard to fit horse well but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried a Prestige, a Passier, a Stubben and a Collegiate so far and none have worked so I'm hoping someone has something encouraging for me!! TIA

I actually just bought one of those. It fits wonderful. Wish I could find a dressage saddle that fit the same way for the same amount of money.

Another vote for the Karl Neidersuss saddles; my favorite is the Symphony. You should be able to find one for around $1k. You might also keep your eyes peeled for a Miller Klimke (this is the older one--not the Klimke made by Ovation). You can pick these up for around 600 bucks. They are quality, comfortable saddles that, like the Neidersuss, seem to fit a range of horses.

I am currently in the same boat. I am trying out some saddles this week in the $1,000 - $1,500 price range new and used.

So far the saddles in that price range that I have sat in and liked are two new HDR saddles as well as a used Courbette. The saddle fitter is coming out this week so that I can ride in them. I have also heard good things about Duetts, but I still need to hunt one down to try it out.

If anyone has any experience with any of those saddles let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by ride-n-tx View Post
    I am currently in the same boat. I am trying out some saddles this week in the $1,000 - $1,500 price range new and used.

So far the saddles in that price range that I have sat in and liked are two new HDR saddles as well as a used Courbette. The saddle fitter is coming out this week so that I can ride in them. I have also heard good things about Duetts, but I still need to hunt one down to try it out.

If anyone has any experience with any of those saddles let me know!

Both of the saddle you mention are what I call "middle of the road" saddles. They don't set you heart to pitter=patter, but they will do the job. Courbettes & HDRs can have leather issues, hard on some, overly thin in a few places, the quality is not exactly first rate. I believe both are assembled in India, but the leather is brought in from *who knows where*. You can see ten nice ones, then the eleventh is iffy. Uneven quality control. YMMV.

Duetts are very popular lately, I have not had experience with them, but they also are middle range saddles.

I also will say buying something maybe of a higher quality might be better in the long run if you expect to keep the saddle many years. Used is often the way to go. I see high quality saddles selling at good prices mainly due to the newer ones being outrageous in price. A saddle that has seen less than ten years of usage is usually in *great shape*; people sometimes rarely ride and the saddle is sold due to being unused. These are diamonds to buy. Look at Ebay and get an idea of the prices that your favorite saddle is selling for and then do a Google search for the saddle of your dreams pre owned. Many are being sold on dressage sites you have never heard of, club magazines, and areas of the country dressage *over zealous*.

Nearly 80% the time a saddle will be half of retail. If not, keep looking. Get out there and shake the bushes.
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz