The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lurking Buyer wants to know, where do you sell your foals?

Due to limited budget, I, and many more like me need to look at youngstock as opposed to a started horse. I call it the pay as you go plan--pay a trainer instead of coughing up tens of thousands up front. I've thought about buying a suitable mare, but really would like to leave the breeding up to you. My friend did ET on her show mare and that baby hasn't been born yet but has over $12K into it. Too risky for me.

So I lurk on the Breeding page and go and check out everyone's websites, but don't take it any further for a couple of reasons. #1 Reason--I don't want to waste your time and have no idea (because no price is listed) of what the price range on the colts and fillies is. So do breeders generally just list on their own sites or do you also list elsewhere (where a price would be published)?

And are you willing to sell to someone who's Olympic aspirations involve buying a ticket for the grandstand? Honestly I find some of the breeder sites intimidating. I'm just an adult amatuer (with access to good trainers) who wants a solid all-around sporthorse with more of a medium (dare I admit...sometimes forgiving) termpermant then a fiery one. I'll even admit that I want to have fun!

So where should I be looking? Is there a site I don't know of? Is it best to just ask price right away?

Some good websites are

www.ewarmbloods.net (click on the forums icon on the right; there is a sales forum where a lot of good breeders advertise)

www.warmbloods-for-sale.com

RE prices: the ads on the above sites generally disclose the price

Some don't put prices on their websites because youngsters' prices may change as they mature, and some people have trouble updating their sites frequently. In some cases, the price may be very negotiable so people are reluctant to post something that might scare someone off.

Regarding desirable homes: I can't speak for others but I would be equally happy if a nice amateur bought one of mine and gave it a really nice home as I would be if a GP rider bought one. In fact, I might even be happier for the foal to go to a long-term loving home than one where arguably it is more likely to be passed on through a number of owners. My 3 ideal buyers would probably be, in no particular order: (a) good ammie looking for dream horse; (b) top show home; and (c) top breeding home.

I also use ewarmbloods and warmbloods-for-sale to list my babies. I have sold them to local people, and also to people in Tennessee, Louisana, Ohio, Minnesota, Connecticut, etc.

I am quite happy selling to Amateurs that are not going to go to the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Regarding desirable homes: I can't speak for others but I would be equally happy if a nice amateur bought one of mine and gave it a really nice home as I would be if a GP rider bought one. In fact, I might even be happier for the foal to go to a long-term loving home than one where arguably it is more likely to be passed on through a number of owners. My 3 ideal buyers would probably be, in no particular order: (a) good ammie looking for dream horse; (b) top show home; and (c) top breeding home.

Ditto...... and this IS where most of our young stock goes....
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

You might want to check out the MidAtlantic Hanoverians breeders club website (www.mahanoverians.com). They have a sales page and links to breeders. You can also email the president and she will send out an email to the members of what you are looking for.

And don't be discouraged, many breeders will like to sell to an amateur that will care for and have fun with the horse! That is usually their largest market.
    Last edited by Edgewood; Apr. 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: fixed web address

Someone like you are the type of buyer who - I would venture to guess -- most of us would LOVE our beloved youngsters to go to!

Thank goodness for the internet -- because not only can you study all the aforementioned sales websites, but can easily check out lots of breeders websites and gain great insight into their philosophy and into how those youngsters were raised. And if you don't see a price -- just ask!

On the occasion that I do sell a horse, I do everything possible to make sure they go to someone who will take the time to truly enjoy their character and company -- and have fun with them, as well as accomplish whatever goals they might have.
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

I breed aimed at the ammy market. I'm far from an Olympic caliber rider and know there are many out there like me who enjoy an athletic horse with an ammy friendly temperment. My ideal home is someone who is going to love and care for the horse and enjoy riding at whatever level suits them.

I put my foals on Dreamhorse and the Irish Draught Society web site. I always list my price as I personally hate "private treaty" ads. I like to know up front if its even worth taking up the sellers time.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I agree, most of the buyers are ammie owners and mostly women who want a horse that is kind and agreeable and fun. I think most of us breed with that in mind and temperment being at the top of the list. A good home is the prime target. My website is out of date, so my young ones aren't even on there. I have listed with warmbloods for sale and some others for them. I think we are all interested in hearing from someone who is looking and help out even if our "babies" aren't a match. The networking and meeting people with common interests is a big part of the fun and process.
    PennyG
    www.krugerrandrunfarm.com

I don't list foals anywhere but my website, as I don't want to sell them solely on the 'cuteness' factor. They need to go to someone who knows a little (or a lot) about foals - i.e. they're not just small horses - they don't come preprogrammed to lead (although we do teach them that and they are very well handled) - they should NEVER just live in stalls all day.

For that reason I don't generally put prices on them, but am completely open to someone asking about a foal, or a youngster, if they are interested.

NO, you will not be wasting our time. We breeders are in the business of breeding, raising (properly) and selling horses. We LOVE to talk about them. All my (and I'm sure every other breeder on here) teaches their foals to be good citizens, i.e. lead and load, pick up their feet for the farrier, stand to be groomed and for the vet, be caught and haltered.

Please don't be afraid to contact us - we don't bite - and neither do our horses.
    Last edited by Tiki; Apr. 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

The more I see of the life of an upper-level show home, the more convinced I am that I would rather my foals go to an individual who will love them to death, and ride them to the best of their ability. I know where almost all of my foals have gone, and I love it when I hear they have become an adored member of the family. I have a website, but my foals are also advertised on www.dreamhorse.com, ewarmbloods.net, and http://www.bayequest.com/

I agree that looking at websites can be intimidating. When I look for horses to buy, I seldom go to individual websites with any expectation that I will find a horse I could afford.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Thumbs up

You might also want to look on the uncouth bulletin board. They have recently added a "Classified" section in addition to the "Horses for Sale" section. Uncouth is a group of dedicated and knowledgeable breeders.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Quote Originally Posted by SakHill View Post
    You might also want to look on the uncouth bulletin board. They have recently added a "Classified" section in addition to the "Horses for Sale" section. Uncouth is a group of dedicated and knowledgeable breeders.
    here's the address www.uncouthbb.com

Tiki, that is a good point--I hadn't really thought it through from the breeder's perspective for a young filly or colt. I'm lucky to board with someone is who also a breeder and has acres of turnout for the babies to just hang out, run around and grow up. But I know that is not the case for a lot of other people. I guess that is a benefit of living in the rural midwest. The con is all of the shows are quite a haul, so we can only do a handful each year.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Some of us breed specifically to keep prices low, but still allow the average amateur with dedication and desire to go as far as they would like show-wise.

I'm *awful* about advertising. Sometimes if I am really in a pinch, I will use DreamHorse & AgDirect. I used to always have an updated sales page on my website, but I'm in cyberhell at the moment where I can't email or do webstuff at work, and home is a sturdy but handicapped windoze 98 with dialup.

The reason I say that, is I think many breeders--even those of us who post on BB's AREN'T all that cybersaavy, or don't have time to update stuff etc. We're doing the stalls, on foalwatch, teasing and breeding and such.

MY suggestion--and how I found my stallion a few years ago now--is to just CONTACT breeders whose programs you like and horses catch your fancy. You never know when they might have something for sale that's not advertised. Perhaps even older horses. (an example--not an ad--I have a 4yo who is not actively for sale, but *could* be to the right situation. I think there are probably others like me that the right PERSON comes along, we might have the right horse... but we're not quite ready to just throw them out there to the masses... )

Final suggestion, don't be afraid to look at crossbreds. Unless you are looking for a breeding animal, often a crossbred has all the attributes you are looking for, with a lower price, and sometimes they hybrid vigour means better than either of the breeds might be on their own.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

If the match is right we always try to make it work- that means payments, bringing the price down so we both are happy and so on. Last year both of our foals sold to AA riders looking to bring along a nice youngster- I couldn't be happier with the homes they they are now in. I think if you find a foal you like- just talk with the owner and see what you can work out.

I agree with "just ask". You might also get some guidance on where to look if you give an idea of what you're looking to spend. I am also intimidated by the "call for price" ad. It makes you think "really expensive". Heck I've got a (large pony so not advertising to you) yearling right now that I KNOW is fantastic, but I'd be willing to take a heck of alot less than what he's worth to get a quick sale to a loving home. So in that sense I don't want to put an ad up for what I think he's worth because of the potentially long time to sell, but if I price less expensively I'm guaranteeing that I won't get the money - so I understand that "private treaty" can mean anything (but I still won't usually call on them!).

I would also suggest considering looking for a 2 yr old, or at least a yearling - unless you have your heart set on the fun and love of a weanling. That way someone else pays for care for the first two years. Oftentimes people with older youngsters just want them moved and you can get a better deal than on a weanling.

Default Holsteiner Foals

You sound like the ideal buyer, the one we are all hoping will buy and love our babies. I look at my new foals and get a bit queasy at the thought of selling them. It would be wonderful if they're loved and appreciated in their new homes.

You will definitely get the biggest bang for your buck when you buy youngsters and raise them yourself. It's good to look at both parents, even if it's only a video clip, and their pedigrees. Do as much homework as possible and be patient. I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

I only advertise my horses and foals on my own website and the Holsteiner Foals website. Funny you should mention the posting of prices. I've been thinking about it and have decided it's a good idea. As soon as I recover from foal watch (we've had two new babies this week) I'm going to add prices to my website.

Bonnie
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    The more I see of the life of an upper-level show home, the more convinced I am that I would rather my foals go to an individual who will love them to death, and ride them to the best of their ability. I know where almost all of my foals have gone, and I love it when I hear they have become an adored member of the family.
    Ditto, I have contact with all my babies owners, which to me is an extended family, except one. I so agree, what most breeders want is for their babies to be loved and well taken care of, no matter if they are turned out in the pasture, ridden a few times a week or just simply loved on.

All the sites listed are great and also if you check with a few breeders and tell them what you are looking for, most breeders network and are glad to help each other out.

Good luck and hope you find the perfect lucky youngster.

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

warmbloods-for-sale.com
    ewarmbloods.com
    breedersgroup.com
    dreamhorse.com is okay
    agdirect.com has some nice horses listed too.