The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Default If you don't know what you're talking about, SHUT UP!

Okay, I am the ONLY one sick and tired of people who know nothing about eventing telling us what needs to be done, or that eventers are killers and our horses are abused?

I TOTALLY appreciate input from people in different disciplines. It gives a new perspective. I also respect anyone who does not want to event, or thinks it is dangerous.

However ranting about how horrible eventing is when you know jack $h!t about it does not help.

If anyone ever visits the BB 'Horse Show Spy' (it is pathetic btw) than you will know what I mean...

I'm nowhere near an eventer, and I jump like once every few months (if that ), so I know NOTHING about eventing. I'm curious now though, what're the folks that are against it all up in arms about?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Word. Often opinions from different perspectives are useful for the simple reason that they ARE different, but JEEZ with the Holding Forth and Proclaiming from the perspective of never having done the sport!!!

Ideas and constructive thinking are always welcome, but going on and on about how XYZ will never work or how ABC is better because that's how it's always been done--gaaah, useless.
    Click here before you buy.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The site seems to be down for the moment.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    The site seems to be down for the moment.
    Yeah it isn't working for me either...

Anyway,

You don't see us over in the hunter/jumper forum calling them abusive for lunging their horses hours on end before classes, or telling the DQs to take their horse on a damn trail ride for once, or yelling at endurance riders for riding on bad footing, etc. Of course there is evil in all disciplines, but I like to think it is hardly the norm. But whining about stuff you know nothing about is useless. While the accidents in eventing are horrific and have happened one too many times, overall they are RARE. Some are making out all levels of eventing a bloodbath which is blatantly wrong.

you what's just as useless though? Starting an entire thread just to complain about it. People are always going to have different opinions on just about everything and complaining does nothing but make you more upset. You could have totally taken this in another direction sans hostility. You're no different than the person you're complaining about when you think about it.

I'm a hunter/jumper rider, and I find your comments out of place. I have NO CLUE how to fix your sport -- but I consider myself a horse person and make an effort to follow other disciplines as well. Sadly, I have seen more of eventing because of all the recent tragedies.

As a human and a horse person I am deeply saddened by the loss of many talented horses and riders. While I cannot comment directly on what methods are needed to "fix" your sport, I find the trend of rider injuries and deaths deeply concerning. If you don't want someone else telling you how to fix your sport, do it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by eloquence09 View Post
    you what's just as useless though? Starting an entire thread just to complain about it. People are always going to have different opinions on just about everything and complaining does nothing but make you more upset. You could have totally taken this in another direction sans hostility. You're no different than the person you're complaining about when you think about it.
    I don't think so. If you thought I was serious in my last post, I wasn't. I was pointing out how unfair it would be to make accusations like that against other sports without fully understanding them.

Nah, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to getting peeved--I do it all the time. Venting is good, venting is fine, destructive and gratuitous b*tching is even fine in some circumstances, but not from the position of High and Mighty and utterly clueless.
    Click here before you buy.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Looks like the shoe making dolt who created that site has re-registered it through a proxy company.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If you read my post thoroughly you would understand I have no problem with you. I like to see people following other disciplines and giving us suggestions. Different perspective is good. But others have been calling saying eventing should be shut down completely and it is a killer sport. I find those comments offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gate View Post
    I'm a hunter/jumper rider, and I find your comments out of place. I have NO CLUE how to fix your sport -- but I consider myself a horse person and make an effort to follow other disciplines as well. Sadly, I have seen more of eventing because of all the recent tragedies.

As a human and a horse person I am deeply saddened by the loss of many talented horses and riders. While I cannot comment directly on what methods are needed to "fix" your sport, I find the trend of rider injuries and deaths deeply concerning. If you don't want someone else telling you how to fix your sport, do it yourself!

I don't place a whole lot of stock on anything coming from that board. Most of it is just malicious crap, from the "let's speculate on who is screwing who and how many marriages we can ruin" threads, to the "which junior wins the Brat (or other adjective) of the year award".

Now, that being said.... I am not against other disciplines expressing concern and saying "uhhh, what's going on over there?". And maybe even brainstorming ideas a bit. Honestly, sometimes a fresh perspective is a good thing.

But, to throw all eventers in a blood-thirsty abusers camp is nothing but baseless snark. Especially when they act like there have not been weeks of discussion and study done to try and uncover the cause of these accidents and fix it. With out knowing the cause, we can do nothing.... if the powers that be were to act without information and data it would simply be feeding hysteria, and it would do nothing to help the true problem. It would fix nothing. But to act like nothing is being done, and that eventers are all just sitting on our hands, or twiddling our thumbs is egregiously wrong.

I think we are unfortunately in the midst of a media storm.

Anyone's opinion gets the same read as the front page of the New York Times. Those of us who know the difference get irritated with the emphasis trivial points are getting from the uninformed.

The sport can survive a few editorials and opinions but what happened at Rolex on the heels of the NYT story is really very very bad for the sport. We will lose sponsors if we continue to lose horses.

Nobody wants this kind of publicity because it attracts opinion. Sponsors don't want to be notorious, they want to be popular.

Riders need to be more careful than any other group right now. So far they have not been blamed but the more things go along in the vein of studying and gathering data, I think we will find there is enough room to criticize them....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words more eloquently than I could...

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    I don't place a whole lot of stock on anything coming from that board. Most of it is just malicious crap, from the "let's speculate on who is screwing who and how many marriages we can ruin" threads, to the "which junior wins the Brat (or other adjective) of the year award".

Now, that being said.... I am not against other disciplines expressing concern and saying "uhhh, what's going on over there?". And maybe even brainstorming ideas a bit. Honestly, sometimes a fresh perspective is a good thing.

But, to throw all eventers in a blood-thirsty abusers camp is nothing but baseless snark. Especially when they act like there have not been weeks of discussion and study done to try and uncover the cause of these accidents and fix it. With out knowing the cause, we can do nothing.... if the powers that be were to act without information and data it would simply be feeding hysteria, and it would do nothing to help the true problem. It would fix nothing. But to act like nothing is being done, and that eventers are all just sitting on our hands, or twiddling our thumbs is egregiously wrong.

I don't know of anyone who reads Horse Show Spy for educational, thoughtful discourse. But ranting about people questioning the safety of the sport isn't going to help things at the moment. There's already a perception that eventing tries to sweep these kind of issues under the rug. Especially after the whole Amy Tryon thing, where it really appeared on COTH and in the media that eventing folks "circled the wagons" so to speak. Thankfully, this does not seem to be happening right now. I truly believe that the vast majority of eventers care deeply about horses and hate to see things like this happen. But the truth is, there have been way too many deaths and injuries recently, and ranting about people who question why (even if they aren't always the most sympathetic or eloquent) doesn't help.

Hopefully these two deaths will be the last, and inspire innovative change in the sport.

Sometimes "kick on" isn't the answer.

c epresso, absolutly fantastic.

Exactly.

You earned yourself 2 bottles of bubly water from me.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

What c_expresso and seeuatx said...I tried to make the point late last night on another thread, but I'd just seen all the crap on hss and I kind of blew up about it...sorry about that, guys. But I definitely agree. Different perspective is fine if you are going add something logical and productive to the discussion of how we can make our sport more safe for upper level riders and horses. If you are just going to call all eventers animal haters, murderers, etc - then stay out.

All we can do is educate, educate, educate

Well, I'm not an eventer, and it's been a while since I even hunted (don't bounce well at all these days)

Do I think eventing is bad? Not at all, I love it! And honestly, I admire the way the eventing community is trying to come together to work on solutions. The recent events have been heartbreaking, especially for those of you that know the horses and riders involved.

Your sport is a great on, you'll find some solutions, I know you will. In the meantime, ride safe and be kind to each other

Horseshow Spy is full of such errr.... well.... gossip. Kind of like forming your opinions based on the National Enquirer.

I think both disciplines can chill out. Immediately. Sadly, there ARE eventers who are dangerous, there ARE HJ people who over longe, over drug, overshow and over charge, there are western people who do stupid crap, there are dressage people that suck. Eventers do seem to be the best at acting like bad eventers don't exist. I think some weeding out is in order- or at least some big reality checks to the minority that need to re-think their training or move down a few levels to be safe.

Thank GOD there are EXCELLENT people in all disciplines. Most likely, they do not post on Horseshowspy.com. There are so many eventers that I would love to have train my horse. And a few that I would pass on. Same goes with HJ.

Everyday, people make good decisions and bad decisions. I think sometimes eventers can be in denial about the bad decisions and write off bad decisions as accidents. The term "EVENTER" is not a free pass to horsemanship. Not relying on grooms and trainers, not caring about ribbons, riding cheap horses- none of that justifies bad decisions or immediately qualifies you as a good horseman.

And people from the outside can see bad decison making and pass judgement. Most hunters know a thing or two about pace. Jumpers know how to set up a horse for a jump. A dressage rider can spot an unbalanced horse. An endurance rider can see the point where fatigue is dangerous.

It's time to face the problems that plague eventing, face them head on, acknowledge them and do your best not to be a part of them- whether it means moving down a level, questioning a coach, skipping an event with a sketchy jump or speaking up when you see dangerous riding.