The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi - fuzzybluecloud - please re-read my comments about what this horse needs. I would NOT put him in a boarding environment since he can be intimidating in a stall - he needs hands-on, eyes-on consistent care from a knowledgeable owner. First time I entered his stall with a muck fork, he threw himself backwards so hard the wall shook when he hit it. Think someone hit him in his stall? Doubt it was the owner - many times "barn help" doesn't have the time or training to manage difficult behaviors - they "get after him...".

Sorry Didnt see that info in your comments....my horses are at a boarding facility, however...guess I shouldve mentioned this...it is 10 minutes from my house and Im there every day to feed my horses myself as they eat 3xs each day and the others do not. I also muck my own stalls as well. The 2 people that are they to help only do AM feeds and turnout. The one who works mon-fri is late 40's and manages another farm down the street. She has taken several abused horses under her wing and brought them around with kindness and patience. The other is 21 and has her own farm of several horses. She just helps out for extra money to be able to show. No one else has contact with the horses. My 5 yr old came to me last year as an abused 16.2hh OTTB stallion with a fractured cannon bone. You couldnt get near him without him kicking out or lunging at you and definately couldnt get close enough to his head to bridle or halter him. Now hes healed 100%, rides walk trot canter w/ or w/out saddle, lets children lead him with his head on the ground...he even trusts me enough to let me sit under his belly. He is leaving at the end of October to live in the breed showcase barn at the KY Horse Park, which is why I'll have room for another horse.

This sounds good - if the woman coming down this weekend isn't a good match, I'll PM you.

I SO wish I was closer!! LOL!! I would hide him in my blankie and take him home!!

Thanks Jan!! Let me know how it goes!!

Lyon and his (prospective) new mom got on spectacularly. She's coming back next weekend to spend some more time with him, but we're all excited that it seems to be a very good match.

Good luck. I hope the match works well!

Lyon went happily to his new home today. He bonded quickly with his new mom - was happy to see her return this weekend and partnered with her quite readily. I'll miss him - but it was time for him to have a life besides that of a pasture ornament!

That's fabulous!Congratulations,and good for you for finding a good home and partner for him.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Default Update to Make You Smile

Anyone remember the Swedish gelding Lyon I posted for free lease last fall? He went to a wonderful rider in New Hampshire who drove down here to meet him and returned the following weekend to ride him. Despite his (many) trust issues, they bonded immediately. I did not EVER see this horse showing again - too fried by being pushed too hard as an upper-level horse. Going into any ring (home or not) was preceded by a half hour of rearing... Her niece (she is now pregnant and not riding for a while) SHOWED him yesterday at Training Level and it was a wonderful experience for them both. He was fabulous and I wanted to share with both Give-Awayers and Give-Aways-Takers how great it is when it works out.

What a happy update!
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

That is wonderful news. Any pictures?

I love hearing good news first thing in the morning

Thanks for sharing, I'm so happy for all of you.

Yeay!!!
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Jan, I remember your thread well and it is fantastic to hear that things have turned out so positively! Congrats to you for finding him "his" person!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

My sister was the lucky recipient of this horse and my 14 year old daughter is now his current rider. It was a wonderful day for all of us. Katie was High Point Champion with a 72.5 and my other daughter, Kristen ON ANOTHER COTH GIVEAWAY ALUMNI was Reserve High Point Champion with a 72. While Lyon is not completely out of the woods yet mentally, he is well on his way. He is living a very relaxing life with his steady-eddy buddy, Felix who has given him so much confidence. Jan and her daughters did the not-so-glamorous work of letting him down for a whole year with no stress and green pastures so really we owe a debt of gratitude to them. Once my sister has her baby in August I imagine we will have to witness a nasty thumb-wrestling match to see who gets to continue riding him, LOL.

We combined JanWeber's update with the original thread to give everyone easy reference to the back story.

Congrats!

saxony - Thanks for the kind words. I should add that my husband Bob played a key role in bringing Lyon back. As the ONLY one of us Lyon had never seen in boots and breeches, Lyon trusted him even more than he trusted us... I'd often go in the barn and find Bob scratching Lyon's ears and telling him what a handsome horse he is!

What a great ending!

I don't think I was a member here yet when you first posted about him- I owuld have snatched him right up!

I am happy that he is learning that riding isn't so bad

Default Yipee!!

Hooray for those who take the time to find the right home and care enough to make it happen. Also, to those who make the time to help the mentally or physically 'damaged' horses to get over their issues. There are wonderful horses with great capabilities - just needing the right situation.

LOVE THESE HAPPY SUCCESS STORIES!!