The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update to Make You Smile post#30

Looking for a tactful, experienced rider willing to make a commitment to bringing this horse back into work. Lyon is a 13 year-old 16.3H Swedish Warmblood gelding competed to 4th Level. He is sound physically, but was (seemingly) pushed too hard and has trust issues. He was donated to a college riding program which tried using him in a community beginner lesson program and it nearly undid him...kept in a 10'x 10' window-less stall, fed sweet feed and limited hay and water, very limited turnout. I took him home to give him a year off with plenty of turn-out and hay. He is a different horse now on the ground: curious, affectionate, enjoys your company. We've started him back into work slowly because he was so jealous watching the other horses work (slowly because he's also so damned FAT from his year off!). He will require a dressage rider who is kind, patient, willing to wait for results, and not intimidated by a big horse - I'd be willing to make this a permanent free lease for the right situation. Needs full day or full night turnout, little grain, lots of hay. Would like to keep him reasonably close and would take him back if needed.

Smile

Do you have pics of him. He sounds lovely. Would he be able to show again when in shape? How long before he will be in shape to compete.

I have an appendix gelding from an auction that I do dressage with. He was diagnosed with navicular and is on/off sound. He will be staying with me forever but I do want a horse I can compete with. I only do local and am starting recognized shows under a trainer in region 1.

Right now they are in all day and night turnout and in winter just day turn out. Great dressage facility and trainer. I can PM you my farm website if you are interested.

I need to emphasize that it is not being "out of shape" that may delay or prevent his return to the show ring - it is because he was pushed WAY too hard and needs patience and a skilled, tactful rider to see if he CAN return to the show ring or if he's just going to be a SWB trail horse. If you're looking for something to compete and you have a timetable - he's not the horse for you. Our trainer, Marilyn Payne (S), gave my daughter a lesson on him and feels that he's definitely worth the time and effort to bring back. In my case, however, Daughter #1 is in college and has enough horses to ride - but she's paying his expenses at home since she is the one responsible for him being here; Daughter #2 rides him occasionally, but has 2-3 others to ride daily and is taking AP Calculus and AP Bio...

Oh ok thanks for the info Jan! ignore my PM to you! I do want to compete so I hope you find him a wonderful home

Man, I wish I had more time/money!! He sounds like the perfect horse for me! But as you've probably read on my other posts, I don't even have time for the ones I have!! Good Luck with him, he's lucky to have fallen into your hands!!
    I give the truth scope!

I wish you werent so far away. Im looking for a dressage project horse and dont plan on showing anytime soon because my area is dressage-less.

What happens if you try to show him? I guess I'm reading into this that he blows up or is dangerous? That worries me because the blowing up could happen at other times too.

Showing is not important to me, but working my way *correctly* up the levels is. He sounds lovely, and perfect for my situation.

His response to being pushed is rearing and backing up. My daughter can walk and trot him in a field, but it takes a half hour of rearing to get him into a dressage arena. She also shows 3rd level and can't get him to canter. He's not a schoolmaster - he was trained and competed to 4th level (imported by Gunnar Ostergaard in 2000) and really wants a rider who knows what they're doing and aren't looking for him to teach them. That having been said, my older daughter rode him often when he was up at school and taught dressage lessons on him to her more advanced dressage riders. His ground manners are quite good (he accepts appropriate discipline for getting out of line - pulling on the leadrope when turned out, or lifting a hind leg when you groom an "unacceptable" spot...) I don't think he's dangerous - I think he was pushed too hard as a high-level dressage mount and wasn't necessarily managed in accordance to his needs but rather what was dictated by a high-intensity show schedule.

do you know if he jumps?

He absolutely does not jump. We've tried - he just crashes through the fences. It's not an eyesight issue - I think the desire/ability to jump was just bred out of him.

Poor guy, sounds like he has serious trust issues, as you say. Probably not for me at this time, but good luck with him!

I was curious if you had any pix of him. I am NOT in any hurry to get back into showing. I lost my long-time mare, 2 years ago. Long time meaning 23 years together. I do E-V-E-N-T-U-A-L-L-Y want to get back into showing...key word eventually. I do mostly hunter however where I am with my current horse, the barn owner does it all. My mare I had, did have 3rd level in her, but that was because back in the late 80's when the big equi was ALWAYS filled with 20-30 people, you needed to have some dressage if you wanted to place.

Default Thinking outside the box....or arena ;)

Maybe he'd rather be a hill-topping fox hunter?

Hill-topping doesn't jump - but even so, many hunts have go-arounds their jumps, so he could perhaps do second flight too if he liked it. If he can handle the mental aspect of it (standing relatively quietly after galloping) being out in the fields and woods with other horses might give him a good change of attitude about working with people. The green hunt horses do learn a lot from watching each other and you'd have the self preservation element working in your favor (the field is galloping off...not too many horses will stay behind and leave themselves open to predators).

Might be a good choice for a horse with a sour attitude and doesn't canter.

He DOES canter (and canter pirouettes) - just not everyone can get him to do them! Not involved with foxhunting people - is he someone you'd be interested in hunting yourself?

Someone is coming to spend a few days with us in the next week or two to get to know Lyon and see if they are a good match. I have high hopes - but if it doesn't work out for any reason, I'll re-post. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Is Lyon still available??? Competent dressage rider unable to school much past 2nd Level due to my OTTBs lack of lateral movement. Cant afford to buy a nice upper level warmblood, but have the patience and all the time in the world to ease a talented horse back into work while slowly unfrying his braincells. Showing is of now big concern to me. If I can I will and if I cant thats fine too. If hes still available would you mind sending a pic to me? Also how is his health...any arthitis or other health problems, special shoes, supplements??

I have someone coming to spend a few days with us getting to know Lyon in the next few weeks - if that doesn't work out, I'll repost. His health is great - no special ANYTHING. At the moment, he's barefoot, and gets a handful of Ultium twice a day and free choice hay. Where are you located?

Let me know if it doesn't work out. I would be interested in a free lease situation in VA. Just want to trail ride around and take a lesson every other week. Current horse injured both stifles in the pasture and is pasture/very light riding sound. Dressage is totally out for him.

Just wanted to say Good Luck placing him, he sounds like a sweet guy who needs a his own special person. I have one like that. :-) They are great once you are theirs! Best wishes to Lyon!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Im located in South Jersey...Mays Landing...my horses are kept at a boarding facility in Egg Harbor. I feed Ultium as well, and are on a 5 week trim cycle in an attempt to keep them barefoot. They are stalled at night and turned out with one or two other horses (all geldings) during the day. We have a large outdoor arena as well as an indoor, and acres of wooded trails that are drug and cleared daily. Please keep me in mind if the current situation doesnt work out for him.