The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Another thought on "half scores"--are they necessary?

I have been pondering something the last couple days since I scribed at a recent show. The judge I was scribing for repeatedly would tell me "small six" or "small seven".....I was to actually write a much smaller 6 or 7 than the other "regular" numbers. I have to ask---would any competitor understand the meaning of this? I don't think I would. So it begs me to ask again....if the range of a 5 or 7 or 9 is so broad to judges that it's either a "small" or "large" number, why wouldn't we be better served to give them the option of half or quarter numbers?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

1-10 isn't enough now? I say, rather than see little sixes and big sixes, why don't we see 3's and 9's and 10's and everything in between? It would make the scoring much more exciting, in my opinion.

I've scribed for several judges who like to use plus or minus symbols to give their scores a little stronger indication of how strong (or weak) that score actually was.

*I* would get it, if I saw that on my test - I'm thinking it should be clear to others too... but is it? (question for the masses here )

Honestly, if the sizes of numbers were different on my test, I wouldn't give it ANY thought. Might just chalk it up to the scribe being inconsistent in printing or something.

I agree with honey...I'd just assume the scribe was trying to keep up. I've seen +'s & -'s though and that made sense.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Quote Originally Posted by caevent View Post
    1-10 isn't enough now? I say, rather than see little sixes and big sixes, why don't we see 3's and 9's and 10's and everything in between? It would make the scoring much more exciting, in my opinion.

I scribed SEVERAL 3s this weekend, many 4s and even a 0 for a move that was not performed.

I like the + and - idea. I've never seen that but I would understand it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

I have scribed tons and recall ONE judge doing the plus/minus thing. She would also use it in case there was a tie that couldn't be broken easily via the collective scores. That would seem to make sense to most competitors. I would never notice a "small" number and think it means something!

1-10 seems to be plenty. But, lots of judges seem stuck in the 4-7 range and rarely venture outside of it. I like when I scribe for a judge that gives 3's and 8's.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I scribed at a schooling show where the judge pointed out the the very obvious horse bobbing aroud the ring with rein lameness had nothing wrong, he was "self-half halting".
    Seriously....

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

"Half scores" are bullshit, and should be reported to the show management. If a judge can't tell whether s/he should give a six or a seven, they shouldn't be judging. That's what all those lovely little numbers are there for, after all.

That said, one wonderful judge I scribed for years ago, would say things like, "Oh, give her a tiny little six for that movement.", or "A seven, with love." Since I didn't know how to write "with love" in the score box and have the scorer know what was intended, I just gave the rider a seven. Or a six. Nobody questioned, nor should they have, IMO.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I think half-scores are a good idea. They're used in other subjectively-judged sports. Our final scores are calculated out to three decimal places -- no one thinks THAT's bullshit, do they? What's wrong with allowing a judge to show that a movement was better than "satisfactory," but not yet "fairly good"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

it does have the advantage of giving the 'i was robbed' folks more to complain about.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I think half-scores are a good idea. They're used in other subjectively-judged sports.
    Yes, they are. But those are usually sports like diving, where results are instant and not a calculated percentage. In gymnastics, there is the possibility of half point deductions from a particular movement; in dressage, there is not.

Our final scores are calculated out to three decimal places -- no one thinks THAT's bullshit, do they?
    The final dressage score is a percentage in and of itself. Why do we need to further complicate matters by giving percentages of percentages? You'd drive the poor scorers even crazier by pulling a stunt like that. Not to mention, the scribes

What's wrong with allowing a judge to show that a movement was better than "satisfactory," but not yet "fairly good"?
    Um, they have the option of using 0-10 to show their opinion of each and every movement. Hell, most judges don't use more than 4 through 8, anyway. Using the full scoring range should be MORE than sufficient. If it isn't, then, as I said before, the judge has no business judging.

JMO.

Um, well, it seems there are people who think the current "option" available to the judges could use some improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Some of the current judges would like to see half points, but most of them don't want that change. We talked about that on our very first "L" dressage judge training program meeting. Here is a quote from one of my articles from my website:

***First day an international Judge and GP rider and trainer Jeff Moore gave us a lecture about dressage judging and dressage Biomechanics. Dressage in US is fairly new, USDF was formed only 33 years ago and USDF “L” Judging program was formed 15 years ago to create better US dressage judges. Dressage judging in the US is constantly evolving and changing for the better. US judges continue to debate what is the best for the future of the US dressage.

One of those hot topics is the “Decimal thinking” in judging. Most of the performances will fall in to the range of “5” to “7” scores. A score “6” can be a “strong 6” and a “weak 6” (6.1 and 6.9 – a difference of a full 10% of the final score), but judges have no way of showing this distinction to the rider. If one “whole-number” judge will give 5 for all of the movements that were 5.5 and another “whole-number” judge will give 6 for all of the movements that were 5.5 – those judges will end up with the final scores of 50% and 60% - a 10% difference for the same ride.

Current judges are forced to come up with different systems of “manipulating” the scores to be able to show the decimal thinking to riders and even up the final scores. For example if one pirouette was a 5.8 and another was a 6.2, instead of giving a 6 for both, judge can wait to see both pirouettes and give a score of 5 for the first one and 7 for the second one to show the difference to the rider, but the scores will even themselves up to be 6 in the end. However, obviously it’s not the perfect way of judging and helping riders, so dressage is in need of more sophisticated judging system, a “decimal judging system.”***

Oh, please. You're kidding, right?

What's wrong with using the existing system? When every judge actually uses the 0-10 scale, then come and talk about decimals. But as long as no one gives less than a 3 or more than an 8, it's ludicrous to contemplate unnecessary adjustments to the current system. Especially when, in the "L" program, one must justify if one's scores are more than a percentage or two different from one's peers.

The whole judges' certification program needs to be revamped, IMHO, but the place to start is not with the scoring system.

Carry on.

I've seen (and received) the plus and minus signs and I think it helps me "get" that the point was on the verge of going one way or another. Not too difficult to comprehend.

Don't think we need half-points. It's like being half pregnant. You either are or you aren't. Unnecessary IMHO.
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

I am not in favor of half points. Oyut here, the plus and minus system works well to give the riders a heads up, and the resulting percentages are enough to separate the placings.

That said--here is a good summary of the idea:

http://www.eurodressage.com/editor/w...ts-sequal.html
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Cool

Good grief-It can be hard enough to scribe as it is, w/o 1/2 points. And smaller numbers are ridiculous.

And yes there shoud be more 2 & 3 and 8&9 scores. A horse with a lovely round canter, on a lovely round circle with lovely round upward and downward transitions derves a high score, not the occaisional 8 that gets doled out.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Especially when, in the "L" program, one must justify if one's scores are more than a percentage or two different from one's peers.
    No, it's not from "peers" but from instructors. and it's has to be a 2 point difference: if one participant gives an 8 and the instructor gives a 6 and another "L" participant gives a 4 - b/c it's different two points from instructor's score - both participants have to justify their scores. However, if one participant gives a 5 and another gives a 7, but instructor gives a 6 – since it’s only 1 point away from instructor – it’s not being questioned. I've seen that happen.