The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Eventers in SC?

If so, where are you in the state? Who do you train with?

Seriously no one? Wow, this is even more depressing than I thought.

I go to school at USC, its sad

I'm in the upstate, but I actually train with a H/J and dressage trainer. However, she has done some xc obstacles in jumping derbies and such, and I'm only bringing my greenie along with the hopes of doing beginner novice this year.
    There are some event trainers in my area, but I am very pleased with my choice to take lessons with someone "outside the discipline."

vbunny - where are you in SC.
    I used to live in Easley (outside of Greenville).
    I have a friend who goes to school at Clemson -- she started an eventing team there.

Default No- there are none

Oddly, the state of SC is totally devoid of eventers. Is that the weirdest thing or what?

so wierd... if anyone knows of anyone send them my way. I ride with Bonnie when she is here, but besides that everything is in Aiken... to far from Columbia. Does anyone know a girl named Rebecca, she rides somewhere close to columbia and i was told she trains? Anyone know what I am talking about

Default eventers in sc

No, we're here.

rennyben, I just saw Carrie, the woman who heads up the equestrian program at Clemson, schooling the course at F.E.N.C.E. a few weeks ago. Perhaps that was your friend that was with her.

Is there no one left in Blythewood or Aiken or Camden anymore? I know Camden doesn't have as many eventers but there used to be a pretty good number. When I was in pony club we used to jump judge at Farewell Farms and all of the big names where there and alot of folks from all over the state would come ride. I know they are not having these events anymore but I would not think that all of these people have disappeared in the last 10 years. (OMG...I was in pony club 10 years ago! )

Aiken has a ton, especially in the colder months of the year. It is the "new" southern pines so I hear.

There are many eventers near tryon, nc/ landrum, sc. They are there, you just have to look a smidge harder in the warmer months.

Please feel free to visit my website, craigthompsonevenint.com, or stop by the farm. While we think of ourselves as being in Aiken, our farm is about 45 minutes from the Columbia airport.

also in the aiken vicinity and operating year around are www.paradisefarmaiken.com and www.jbfarm.com, also www.fullgallopfarm.com. Bonnie Mosser has a place up closer to Columbia where she is during the winter months. Her new website is still in progress www.bonniemosser.com
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default Raises Hand!

Outside of Charleston. Have many students (most in Pony Club) that are hitting the event seen this year! Kathy Faulk, who was the barn manager at Fare Well Farm is still in Blythewood and still teaches/coaches. Will tell you that my area has been void of some eventers for some time but is definitly on an up-swing . We hardly have schooling events anymore which is sad. But if you are looking for coaches - try the local Pony Club in your area for recommendations or the website: www.scdcta.com.

Default Lonely in Camden

I live in Camden and work in Charlotte, NC (yup the insanity of eventing affects all parts of one's life). I train with Jennifer Holder at Thirdcharm Training Center in Midland, NC. Currently I do not own an active eventer and Jennifer not only has horses for lessons, she is kind enough to allow me to compete her horse.
    There are some dressage and loads of H/J trainers in Camden - so far all that I spoke with run lessons during my work hours.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Last I heard, Kathy Faulk (who used to be the manager and trainer at FareWell Farm) was teaching out of a barn in Ridgeway. Ridgeway isn't far from Blythewood.

And Tiffani Loudon-Meetze was at Second Wind Farm in Blythewood. She has won some 3-star events. As far as I know, she's still there.

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Chimene Evans has a really really nice place in SC, Stoneridge Equestrian Center in Liberty. According to her website http://www.stoneridgeeq.net/ "It is only 6 minutes from I-85 and 30 minutes from Greenville". I bought an OTTB from her. She has a huge indoor and some xc.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Well that does make me feel better. I am in/near Camden and its quite depressing. I just haven't found enough people interested here. It sure does make me feel better to hear that things might be on the upswing. I'd love to back into that field and become an assistant trainer to someone again ( I love the training much more than the actual competition for some odd reason) and to maybe teach again. Because I am in Camden I have been limited to race horses and hunters and its just not the same at all. I have such a respect for the sport and I just can't seem to fall in love with anything else the same way.

Default Lellie Ward--Paradise Farm

Growing up in southeastern Ohio, I was overwhelmed when I moved to South Carolina by the number of eventers that are here (seriously, southeastern Ohio was the armpit of eventing when I was growing up).

I live in North Augusta, but now ride on the east side of Aiken, with Lellie Ward, which would be about 45 minutes from Columbia. She is WONDERFUL, plus, she's in Aiken year-round.

I used to travel 3 1/2 hours (one way), when I lived in Ohio to work with an event trainer in Cleveland (who is also wonderful), so a 25 minute drive to Lellie's is a piece of cake. Plus, access to beginner novice through preliminary cross-country, a really nice outdoor, all-weather arena, and Lellie's tremendous experience as an instructor, trainer, and coach make it a no-brainer for me.

Her webpage can be found at: www.paradisefarmaiken.com
    Last edited by glfprncs; May. 3, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Thumbs down Charleston,SC here

I live in Charleston.. which as far as I'm concerned is about as far as you can get from the eventing world!! Nada here for the most part. The trainer I was riding with moved to KY last year.. so now there really is no one. Lessonlearned also lives in Charleston. I'll probably be out showing her horse some in the fall. But for the most part we'll be traveling elsewhere for lessons... because we have to.

I live in Newberry, and while I compete only in dressage, love eventing as it was my first sport. There are lots of eventers in Aiken, which is where I go and take lessons. My trainer actually does coach some for the dressage phase. Aiken is such a great town and even though it is a drive, it is so worth it. The Aiken Horse, which has a site on line, is also a great resouce for information. There are some very nice farms up in Blythewood, but other than what has been mentioned, I don't know of anyone that events in that area.