The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Going to The National Drive?

I'm probably going to this with my father ... Taking my percheron, Casey ... It should be a good time

http://www.nationaldrive.net/nationaldrive/index.html
    ~Leigh

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. - The Beatles

Default Absolutely!

We're taking Phoenix for the 3rd time, Maggie for the 2nd and Mollie for the 1st. We only need to take one carriage, though, as we can drive our Kutzmann as a single horse or pony pair We've already paid for our campsite and it's something we certainly don't plan to miss.... unless fuel prices get TOO out of sight That will be the biggest expense for us.

There should be a good contingent from FL as well as from the Carolina Carriage Club. Lots of really good folks who know how to have fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pretty drive.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	20629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phoenix water 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	20630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trot.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	20631  
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

I'm really excited ... I'm hoping to learn a lot b/c I'm fairly new to driving ... also if anyone is in GA and wants to carpool, PM me. Carpooling will cut down on gas prices alot
    ~Leigh

I can't BEGIN to say how much I'd like to go! Ever since I first heard about it a couple of years ago, it's been HIGH on my 'wish to do' list---but, I live FAR away, in NM, and unless I can convince at LEAST one, maybe two, friends to carpool, it'll just never happen for me. I drive miniatures,so up to three of us actually *might* be able to come together w/ horses AND vehicles, but first, I have to convince them of how much fun I am SURE it would be!!

Margo in New Mexico

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a blast I'm still trying to talk my dad into comming but if he doesn't, I'll come on my own
    ~Leigh

Default my little vent

The Georgia National Draft Horse Show (State Fair) is a rated show and I want to show my babies there in halter plus I am on the show committee and I have obligated myself to being a part of the infrastructure. I have also obligated Robert to do a dressage demo during the change outs between the hitch classes.

Once again, the National Drive and the GA fair are the same week...

rrrr. Maybe next year, I will forgo the GA fair but for this year, I am going to the fair. It is a great fair though, and it is so well run.

It sure bums me out though that these two fantastic events are destined to be the same week "forever and ever" or so it seems.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Default Me! Me!

I'll be there again from Washington State. After all the fun I had last year I wouldn't miss it for the world. My dearest wish is still to bring my own horse but with gas prices the way they are that dream is completely unattainable at the moment so I'll fly out and gratefully borrow my friend's mini again if she'll let me.

Cielo, definitely go next year if you can. My understanding was that the event will not be held or will have to be held some other time in 2010 due to the WEG.

Leia
    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

Awesome, I hope to see all of you there!
    ~Leigh

Default Not me

That's the weekend I'll be up in Vermont with some friends, riding Icelandic ponies in the fall foliage. We'd already put down our $ and made our plans before I knew there was a conflict with the ND.

I had a great time there in '06, meeting Sparrow and Ashemont and their spouses. Already knew Don and Sam Orem and Dick Kearley from Florida drives but it was such fun meeting up with them there and driving new terrain with everybody. I'll miss the chance (again) to help my buddy Bob Giles with some of his extreme driving moments. I'll definitely shoot for 2009. Wonder if dates are already selected for then?

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by RidesAHaflinger View Post
    I'll miss the chance (again) to help my buddy Bob Giles with some of his extreme driving moments.
    Well I sure enjoyed helping Bob and Dick last year and am looking forward to doing it again. In fact at the Southern Pines CDE Bob told me I now needed to drive my ponies tandem. I told him no way but if HE wanted to try... and then he said that would be a neat demo for TND So maybe we'll get to see a first for the Polish Driving Ponies this year

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Yeah, Bob has mentioned the tandem thing to me too -I think it was long about about the second time I drove the pair. Bob is always scouting out new challenges.

Thumbs up First timer & needing it!

I'm driving from the Tampa Bay Area - "Dear Lord, Please try to keep gas prices down untill the end of October"

I'm taking my horse, my cart, and my gator/groom/best friend.
    I need the time off of work.
    I need the time with my friends, human and equine alike.

If there is anyone else who knows what I'm talking about. I think you too should go the the Drive. Let's start a Forum Convoy. Trucks (that use to much gas) trailers (that we paid to much for) loaded with horses & carts!!!! To he!! with the over due credit card bills!! They will just have to wait (I'll pay the min. amount of course) But how often is there a chance to meet crazy driving people like yourself where your not trying to beat their score. Where we can all just ENJOY ourselves with out the pressure of the show, but still get dressed up. I'm hoping everyone who can come will come and if you are there come say Hi to me, I'll be the woman driving with a big RELAXED smile on her face.

Do we have a coordinator this year? We really need to all ask to be stabled with the COTH group. Much more social that way We also need to make sure we get the barns with the bigger aisle ways 'cause some of our trailers won't make the corners on the other end! I think we want barn 18-20? Anyone remember?

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Perhaps someday!!

I just can;t take a whole week off in Oct. (I teach for those who don;t know) If I did then I would have no other time to take for CDEs!!!

Perhaps they will still be doing this when I retired. :-(

John and I plan to attend again with Sparrow, and my client Becky will be coming with Little River, and possibly one other client will come along with us as well! We share the concern about gas prices. I am arguing with myself that if they keep going up I will have to start using horse and buggy for transport, and where better to improve our skills than at the National Drive? Especially since we have no local trainers!

Pat, why don't you coordinate this year? At the very least we need to make a list of who's planning to attend and put each other's names down on the application form under "wish to be stabled with..."

While the National Drive is not in the picture for us this year, we DO have a couple of suggestions to those planning to attend.

How about trailer pooling. If you live near other drivers can you share trailer space? One of our local trainers used to do this to most shows. There was a big many stalled trailer for the horses and another largish flatbed for the carriages. They has a system of piling the vehicles and trunks on that trailer that really worked - looked like a used carriage lot though. I also remember not too long ago when a big championship was being held out west that several drivers out east hired a pro to haul the lot of them out there.

Second suggestion is to look a little closer to home. Once again I remind you that several ADS regions and/or clubs have recreational driving weekends planned. My region - Mid-A typically has their 3-4 day weekend at Fair Hill Maryland the beginning of August. Fair Hill is a huge property riddled with trails and the home of Elk Creek and the former Fair Hill CDEs. I believe the New England region is planning on a weekend too. Last time I brought this up there was one out west and I think Price mentioned driving weekends in her area too, but I don't know if its club only. While a 'national' drive IS cool, the more of these driving weekends we can encourage with our participation, the better.

If there's nothing happening in your club's area, why not encourage your club to think about running one yourselves?

Trailer pooling would be great but everyone I know who is going from my area is going to be LOADED. This year we'll have a horse and two ponies plus 2 carriages, 1 golf cart and 1 scooter. Last year we hauled 4 carriages (took 2 that were for sale for Bob Cook and Harvey Lagasse), one horse and one pony. So even though we've got a bigger trailer (41' long) we barely have room for us!

Local and regional drives sound great and we'll certainly be doing more local stuff - especially with fuel prices being what they are. But The National Drive is just mind boggling! It's a chance to meet drivers from all over the country and to put faces with names. The activities are simply the best and it's so very well-organized. There's so much to do and see that time flies and I don't know if even a whole week will be enough. Plus it's pretty hard to beat the KY Horse Park! There just seems to be something there for everyone.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Default hmm

I swear I wrote a fairly long message the other night and must have hit the wrong button. It never posted.

I'll definately be at the drive. Leia, you can borrow a horse from me again if you like.

My trailer will definately be jammed full as I want to run the "lion Hunt" over in the breed barn as well as try another act in one of Bob's presentations. So I'm likely looking for a ride for a couple of vehicles. I have one vehicle in mind, however, that can be broken down and strapped to the roof of the trailer. Where there's a will there's a way.

Regarding Bob and the tandem stuff; he started me with the tandem 6 months after we started the first pair. It was 3 months after Triumph was first hitched. Trust me Bob will always push you out of your comfort zone.

Dick

Not this year, but it's a goal for 2009. We still need a trailer & bigger truck, but I have put them on hold to watch the economy. I'm trying to get us out of debt, not into more right now.

550 stalls! I can't even imagine!

We have also reserved 25 campsites at the Kentucky Horse Park campgrounds. Reservations can be made by calling Kristi Combs at (859) 259-4257.
    Please explain the accomodations for the 250 planned. They have 70 reservations combined at 2 local hotels and I'm sure there are more to res. privately. And only 25 campsites reserved for the drive? Are there a bunch more campsites people can reserve after these are spoken for? I assume many people camp in their trailer LQs and possibly tents. I'm wondering because next year's event could attract many more than 250.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx