The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Well trainer worked him today

Well the trainer came today and after myself working him (not as much as I should because of personal reasons ) in the transitions he was much better. Thanks for the help. He is still unbalanced but he was much nicer today, more balanced then before and we have hopes of moving up to training level in the near future. She is going to work him a few more times for 1/2 the lessons and me the other half until I get uncomfortable with the 20M circle because it takes a lot of strength to hold him together right now. Thanks so much everyone. I'm excited!! Maybe 1st level will be in our future by next year!!!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Awesome! Isn't it great watching the trainer ride your horse? At least in my case, I'm always shocked by how good he can look (my horse, not the trainer!).

Who is your trainer? Does she or he get along with all the horses they ride that well or is it just your horse they make look so good? Sounds like a dumb question but I'm wondering if a good trainer gets along with evry horse or does it have to be a personality match?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Awesome! Isn't it great watching the trainer ride your horse? At least in my case, I'm always shocked by how good he can look (my horse, not the trainer!).
    Sometimes it is. Sometimes watching your trainer on your horse just makes you realize how terrible you really are

Yesterday when she was done riding her -- and she hasn't ridden her for a few months -- she called me over and told me what I needed to "fix". She was really nice about it and it's not the end of the world stuff, but I've screwed up quite a bit. Sigh.

Makes me feel bad for my horse, y'know? She's so forgiving and she tries so hard and I just don't "get it" yet.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Awww Eileen. I feel just the same way. It's hard work you know. I'm hoping to 'get' it one day. I find the putting it all together and holding it all together is difficult. i.e. riding a whole test properly! I'm still having trouble with my downward canter/trot transitions ...sigh

Thanks, Kit. Not been a good week

Yah, I know it's hard work and I'm working as hard as I can on it. I just feel sorry for my horse in the meantime.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roan View Post
    Thanks, Kit. Not been a good week

Yah, I know it's hard work and I'm working as hard as I can on it. I just feel sorry for my horse in the meantime.

Eileen
    I hear you. My old trainer made riding my difficult mare look sooooo easy. She was so light and forward with him, that it made me feel guilty that I couldn't always get her going that way. You sound really dedicated Roan. Not everyone is, so your horse is lucky there!

My trainer sat on my baby for the first time! Just popped on her bareback. I was quite nervous, but for nothing it turns out. She just calmly stood there. I'd post pics, but after a conversation with him, I get the impression he wouldn't be comfortable with that.

When I get on, I'll post some of us, if it's a non-fat day!

From what I hear she is great and gets along with almost every horse she gets on. She comes to my place so I haven't seen her ride a bunch of different horses yet. I am planning to take a trip to her farm soon though. She makes him look so beautiful (like a high dollar dressage horse instead of an old trail horse ) and she is so soft in the hands, which I'm having to learn. He looks so amazing with her it kindof makes me feel inadequate (sp?) The 1st trainer I had with him, well they didn't get along, he is a very sensitive horse and he likes to be asked than pushed. She pushed and well he started popping up and crowhopping, this trainer asks and he hasn't pulled any popping up or crowhopping or bolting. Its very nice that she understands his personality and that he has to be dealt with a little different than a horse that is bred specifically for this sport. Its nice though, when she rides him next week I'll take some video so you guys can see the difference and how amazing he looks with her.

The 1st trainer I had with him, well they didn't get along, he is a very sensitive horse and he likes to be asked than pushed. She pushed and well he started popping up and crowhopping, this trainer asks and he hasn't pulled any popping up or crowhopping or bolting. Its very nice that she understands his personality and that he has to be dealt with a little different than a horse that is bred specifically for this sport.
    That makes such a difference. The trainer working with my sensitive horse is like this. He's never punitive and always reassuring, which is exactly what she needs at this point. I can see where she's coming to trust him and wants to do well for him. It's great when you can find someone that really understands the temperament of your horse.

Thats the truth!! You guys have helped a lot to in suggestions on what to do in the down time between the trainer coming and it always seems to help. Such a talented and great pool of people on this BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Roan View Post
    Sometimes it is. Sometimes watching your trainer on your horse just makes you realize how terrible you really are

Yesterday when she was done riding her -- and she hasn't ridden her for a few months -- she called me over and told me what I needed to "fix". She was really nice about it and it's not the end of the world stuff, but I've screwed up quite a bit. Sigh.

Makes me feel bad for my horse, y'know? She's so forgiving and she tries so hard and I just don't "get it" yet.

Eileen
    Aw, hugs! Don't get discouraged! Seriously, this is a journey, not a destination.

I haven't even ridden my horse in 5 months, you can imagine how he's changed with the trainer riding! I only got him last August, and in November he was still poking around the ring, trying to yank my arms out of their sockets. The other day the trainer got on him and he did 2 trips around the ring with this lovely contact, no pulling- I was like "uh, who is this and what did you do with MY horse?"

But seriously, I'm loving it. I just get so much joy from watching my horse go well for my trainer, and hoping I can get to that point some day. I feel so proud of him, like if my kid was in med school or something- LOL! I am physically a mess, so I will be on the longe line in a round pen for the foreseeable future, only dreaming of those lovely trips around the ring and perfect leg yields.

Horse ownership does involve a lot of guilt, I think. It's like having kids, we're totally responsible for their wellbeing. But like having kids, you have to allow yourself to be "good enough." Is your horse a nice weight? Shiny, happy? Good feet, no pain (or controlled pain?). Does she perk up when she sees you? Does she get love and scratches and affection? Then you're doing great, and just enjoy! (this is what I have to repeat to myself when I get bogged down in guilt, which has been often over the last 5 months!).

Unless they are out and out abusing their horse, I don't think ANYONE needs to feel bad because a trainer says, 'You're doing A, B, C wrong'. I think it's a really good thing to have the sort of guidance where someone can ride your horse and tell you just what's right and wrong. It's not 'bad', it's just the next step up the ladder to being a better rider.

"Does she or he get along with all the horses they ride that well or is it just your horse they make look so good?"

A good trainer rides ANY horse better than the rider does. That's what they're supposed to do.

'Getting along' with the horse is relative.

A horse can look very 'unhappy' and 'upset' and 'angry' and 'fussy' when a trainer gets on and does EXACTLY what needs to be done and not one bit more. It really depends on how much of a 'compromise' his regular rider makes in how he rides the horse, in other words, the more off base the rider is, the more likely the horse is to 'fuss' and 'be unhappy' when a good rider gets on him. It doesn't depend on how 'correct' the trainer is. Horses are creatures of habit and they 'like' what they're used to. This makes it very, very difficult to really decide if what the trainer is doing is 'good' or not. That is just not so easy.

It would be a very inexperienced junior trainer if he or she couldn't get on different types of horses and adjust to them very quickly.

If a horse starts rearing or hopping around it might just be the day - the horse might just be fresh. Or the trainer might be riding him very appropriately, but he doesn't want to work and is a little naughty, in other words, mommy's little sensitive boy is actually a little spoiled. Or it might be a more junior trainer who may not be riding correctly.

A trainer's bread and butter is being able to work with different kinds of horses.

The other day, while one trainer I didn't know, was riding a horse, that horses' owner sat next to me proceeding to tellme how sucky the other trainer was bcause the horse was swishing his tail...blah blAH blah. I pointed out that the said horse was relaxed. as he was breathing in rythm with the trot and canter! What more do you want?

any time someone starts badmouthing someone else it's time to find a new seat. otherwise you will wind up being considered in agreement
    Last edited by slc2; Apr. 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM.