The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How angry would you be?

I'm wondering just how pissed off I should be.

When I arrived at the barn this evening, I found Blush in her pen, coated with dried sweat. It looked like she'd been soaking wet, everywhere, and left to dry on her own. When I pulled her out, her turnout boots were still on, all four fetlocks were filled and HOT, she had some mild digital pulses in front and a concerning tendon behind.

When I called the barn manager to find out what in the hell happened to my horse, she said "oh, yeah...she really got running before I brought her in."

So the horse got to running (pretty damn hard by all evidence) right before they brought her in, and she was put away soaking wet. And I was not called.

How irked would YOU be?

Pretty darn mad.
    Are you paying for (supposedly knowlegeable) turn out service, or is this a favor by the BM?

If you had been called would you have cooled her out?

If I'd been called, I would have been out there in a heart beat to cool her off and check her legs.

This week is the first time in a long time that the barn has turned out Blush. Turnout is included in board, but Blush had badly scared the barn manager, so I was going out every day to turn her out and bring her in. There is a new worker who, quite honestly, was horrified to see me out there turning my horse out and said he would be happy to. He offered to drop what he was doing this afternoon and bring Blush in, but the BM said she would take care of it. He was floored and pretty angry himself when he spoke with me after I'd groomed the horse, cold hosed her legs and wrapped her up. He apologized profusely. The BM did not apologize and did not come out to check on the horse--she lives on the property.

Well I would be very pissed to come and find my horse in that condition. I guess it depends on what the barn manager thinks is out of the ordinary. If it is a "dude" ranch kind of place and most horses are just put away ungroomed, etc... than that sounds like normal protocol. If it is a more upscale place then that would not fly. But if they put boots on before t/o then they need to remove them as well and do a leg check. You need to clarify what t/o includes as far as care of the horse.
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Did you tell her the horse got "hurt"? It's possible the mare did not appear unsound/harmed when they last saw her. Not that you are overexaggerating things now, but I've been in those shoes of the horse ran around, was fine...then latger I find a large puncture wound or something else equally horrifying.

If she was still just ho-hum about it when you told her, I'd be seriously pissed.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

I told her the horse had huge, hot fetlocks. The fetlocks were big enough to get an immediate "oh....shit..." reaction from me, but I can understand someone missing that who doesn't really LOOK at the horse every day and know her various issues. I'm honestly more concerned about the soaking wet part. I can't imagine the BM would put HER horse up soaking wet--why on earth did she think it was okay for MY horse? If I'd been out there to cool Blush down, I could have been more proactive about the inflammation in her legs, rather than playing catch up later.

This barn is NOT your full-service facility. But it's also not your backyard, ride em hard put em up wet place either. I wouldn't expect them to cool off my horse if she got to running and was wet (although the new working said he woulda done exactly that) but I DO expect a call...or at least a NOTE on the board, to let me know what in the hell happened.

I'd definitely be miffed myself... but are you paying for turnout?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I'd definitely be miffed myself... but are you paying for turnout?
    As I said earlier, turnout is included in board.

I'd be seriously po'd and have left 2 places for a similar incident.

First place my horse was in his stall running circles as fast as a 16.3 hh TB built like a warmblood could in a 10 x 10 stall - amazingly fast unfortunately

He was sooo worked up to the point that his chestnut coat was nearly black with sweat. Our (mine and my mom's) only guess is that they forgot to feed him his dinner. My mom showed up after work to check on him since I was working retail and had a double shift that day. When she got there she was told "oh, we were just about to call you". Um, yeah, ok! Shortly after we were gone - too many other things happened that I wasn't chancing it.

Second place had my horse out at night in the summer which was preferred. The BO was running late for lessons/camp one morning which meant that my ever anxious horse was running the fenceline-frantically mind you. When the other girls got there to work the lessons/camps the BO had them help bring horses in and feed them.

Fortunately I was told that due to my horses frantic tantrum he was tied up on a single tie at the back of the barn until he cooled out because the BO "didn't have time for his bullsh*t". When he had finished coolling himself out standing tied to the back of the barn he was let into his stall to eat (thank God for not feeding him at least!). He was then used later that day in a camp as a "bathing pony" to make sure the evidence was washed away

Took me a little while to get outta there but I did eventually get out. I know my horse is difficult on many levels but a phone call to tell me he's having a mental breakdown is hardly any time out of the BO/BM's day. I've never asked them to deal with him-just tell me and make due until I got there. Showing up to find my horse in a tizzy with the BO/BM well aware is unacceptable.

Thankfully the farm where he lives now makes him so happy he feels no need to be silly. But if he does have a moment that goes beyond what they deem normal they call So yeah, if I were you I'd be totally po'd.
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

So your horse is so poorly behaved that the BM wouldn't turn her out for you? She brought your horse in when it was acting like a fool in the pasture and you are upset that she didn't hose her off, hand walk her until she was dry, and wrap her legs up? Do you even know how long it had been since she was brought in? There is a big difference between TO and full care, what you are expecting sounds more like full care. It isn't the managers fault that your mare got herself spun up and there is a good chance that it would have been dangerous to try to catch her and bring her in when she was going full steam. It sucks that your mare might have injured herself, but I don't see how calling you after she caught the mare and put her away would have made any difference. The swelling probably hadn't started to set in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    So your horse is so poorly behaved that the BM wouldn't turn her out for you? She brought your horse in when it was acting like a fool in the pasture and you are upset that she didn't hose her off, hand walk her until she was dry, and wrap her legs up? Do you even know how long it had been since she was brought in? There is a big difference between TO and full care, what you are expecting sounds more like full care. It isn't the managers fault that your mare got herself spun up and there is a good chance that it would have been dangerous to try to catch her and bring her in when she was going full steam. It sucks that your mare might have injured herself, but I don't see how calling you after she caught the mare and put her away would have made any difference. The swelling probably hadn't started to set in yet.
    Wow, I LOVE all of your assumptions

I have been turning out and bringing my mare in since February. She has NEVER--as in NOT ONCE--pulled ANYTHING with me. She walks next to me with slack in the rope.

When the BM was turning her out and bringing her in, I was told the horse started rearing. I have not seen this behavior in my horse ever. Interestingly, another TB at the barn has started rearing when turned out and brought in by the BM.

Perhaps you didn't catch where I said--more than once--that I was upset the horse was put away SOAKING wet? Do you put YOUR horse away soaking wet? If I'd been called, I would have come out to cool off the damn horse. Perhaps you've also missed where I said I did not expect them to cool out the horse, I expected them to CALL ME. So I could come cool out the horse.

If you're going to reply, why on earth would you not read what I've posted?

Uh, it's called a "heads up" at the very least. I'm glad that I don't board somewhere where YOU are in charge.

Ditto to the two previous posters, but wanted to comment about the part in bold.

THAT is exactly the point! If she had been called she could have come out and attempted to PREVENT the swelling. Prevent any other damage from occurring. But she didnt, and that IS a problem. She never mentioned wanting the BO to do anything but take TWO MINUTES to give her a phone call.

IMO I would be out of there. Barn owner seems to be causing problems with the horses as far as her handling and now this? Not worth it.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I told her the horse had huge, hot fetlocks. The fetlocks were big enough to get an immediate "oh....shit..." reaction from me, but I can understand someone missing that who doesn't really LOOK at the horse every day and know her various issues. I'm honestly more concerned about the soaking wet part. I can't imagine the BM would put HER horse up soaking wet--why on earth did she think it was okay for MY horse? If I'd been out there to cool Blush down, I could have been more proactive about the inflammation in her legs, rather than playing catch up later
    "Huge, hot fetlocks" would be a reason to call a vet and you are more concerned that she was put away wet? Are the boots left on all the time?

Sounds like you need to move to a different boarding situation .

I would definitely not be terribly pleased that it looked like they didn't give her a bit of a walk or a hose off before putting her away BUT there is a good chance that her legs looked fine when they did put her away, and they filled between the time she went in and you got there. I have more than my fair share with tendons, etc, and I've never seen one as soon as it happened. It has always been a few hours later or the next morning. So, I honestly wouldn't be too horribly upset that they didn't catch that (though, they should have taken her boots off and I hope they at least walked her for a minute until she caught her breath).

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

When the BM was turning her out and bringing her in, I was told the horse started rearing. I have not seen this behavior in my horse ever. Interestingly, another TB at the barn has started rearing when turned out and brought in by the BM.

Now you have TWO red flags on this BM. Yes, I'd be pissed that I wasn't called.

As far as the rearing, there are at least two possibilities. One, your BM doesn't know one horse from the other. or Two, your BM is doing *something* that causes these guys to rear. Neither thing speaks very highly of the BM. There may be another explanation, but I'd want to know what it was. I'd be, if at all possible, looking for a new situation for my horse.
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique
    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique COMH Page: Tory Relic

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I'm wondering just how pissed off I should be.

When I arrived at the barn this evening, I found Blush in her pen, coated with dried sweat. It looked like she'd been soaking wet, everywhere, and left to dry on her own. When I pulled her out, her turnout boots were still on, all four fetlocks were filled and HOT, she had some mild digital pulses in front and a concerning tendon behind.

When I called the barn manager to find out what in the hell happened to my horse, she said "oh, yeah...she really got running before I brought her in."

So the horse got to running (pretty damn hard by all evidence) right before they brought her in, and she was put away soaking wet. And I was not called.

How irked would YOU be?
    I don't know - I would be upset about the fetlocks, but my own horses don't do that so I can't say that I would assume that someone else's would.

I would make sure you absolutely know the facts before reacting too swiftly.

First, do you know that she was brought in HOT and soaking wet? I ask because you said dried sweat. Or had she stopped breathing hard and cooled down some, but was still wet? If the horse wasn't hot any longer, and she didn't know per a previous discussion that you wanted to run out and take care of the horse, I wouldn't necessarily be angry that she didn't. I don't call my boarders when their horses comes in a little sweaty - or even very sweaty, but I would if they asked. If the horse was running like crazy in the pasture, yes I would cool it out first if it was breathing heavily and sopping wet - hose if it's warm enough, but once it's cool to the touch, breathing fine, and not dripping I'd probably put it up. I did have one horse board with me in the past that did have a tendency to swell and I can say that I either would have given that horse extra time or called the owner (but only because I knew ahead of time).

As for the behavior with the BM, that should probably be a separate discussion with her. It would be easy enough to pop out and see what she's referring to.

If you're uncomfortable, just find a new place. Sometimes it can be care that's fine, but not necessarily a good fit for you (or her). Also, and I'm not making assumptions here, but be aware of how you come across if you have a high maintenance horse (and I don't know if you really have one). Many boarding barns are more than happy to work with you if requests are presented the right way and you either pay for the extra attention or help out in exchange.

I'd buy my own place and then everything would be exactly as I want. I just don't get into expecting someone else to be responsable for me or mine.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I'm guessing the fetlocks were not really "HUGE" and "hot" or the OP would be calling the vet.

"HUGE"?? what does that mean?

However, I would not board at a place where the BM was not capable of leading my horse (if that part is true).