The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weanling board

So, as things often do for me, a trip to look at a 2 year old prospect yesterday took an unexpected turn and I fell in love with a 2014 colt they had on the property. He is in the price range and something I would love to bring along long term as my next riding horse. However, the facility where I currently ride is not what I would consider suitable for a weanling. Thus I am trying to find facility that offers weanling board/colt raising services. I want somewhere that he will be well taken care of and learn how to be a horse. I ultimately hope to show him on the line until he is ready to ride. Any recommendations? Prefer east coast or Florida, but open to location for the right opportunity and care.

Not Florida, but Worth A Shot Farm in North Carolina has the absolute best baby program. Allie the owner is AMAZING with babies and teaches them the ropes!
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Hilltop also has an excellent foal raising program.

I will be looking for the same, for a yearling Morgan filly, next year. I am not coming up with a lot of options that are close enough for me to visit her and work with her. I didn't buy her just to have someone else work with her, and she has a "newbie-to-foals-friendly" personality -- but obviously a typical boarding situation isn't appropriate for a youngster. (She is staying with her breeder through April of next year to get all the "basic training/life skills" suitable for a young filly.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I am in CT, and while I would like to have him close enough to work with finding a quality program is more important to me at this stage. He is a late May baby, so is several months from weaning, but I would be looking to move him at weaning.

I usually have a couple of youngsters and this year I only have one.... I was thinking of advertising specifically for another youngster boarder for when I wean her! Mine is a bit over 2 months old and stands, ties, leads, trots in hand and picks up her feet. I show the youngsters in FEH competitions and I'm a farrier so I see a lot of bad mannered babies, major pet peeve!

We're in NC and IMHO pretty reasonable pricewise....

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if Rachel Ehrlich who has Greengate Stud in New Braintree, MA has youngster boarding, but you might ask her, or see what she recommends.