The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Camping at an event?

I am cross-posting this from the driving forum, because I want to get as much advice as possible! Although I am a driver, I am sure there are many new endurance and trail riders that could benefit from this same information. I know you guys have been there and done that!

The financial situation being as it is in these days, I have decided to camp out with my horse at the CDEs this year. I have a nice little pen for my mare and have purchased a canopy to go over the top of it. It even has screened walls, to help with the bugs!

For myself, I bought a nice little camping tent that I am able to set up on my own, and is quite comfortable. Since this will be my first time camping at an event, I am wondering if anyone can share their favorite camping tips, checklists, must-haves, etc. I always travel on my own, and meet up with all my local friends at the event. I am really excited to begin my adventures for this season, but do not want to end up finding myself forgetting some essential!

My most pressing question of the moment is...how the heck do you stay relatively clean at a 4-day, 3 night event??? Cowboy shower? How do you manage this sort of thing?

What other important tips do you have to stay comfortable while camping at an event? Are there any web sites that I can reference also?

Thanks so much for any assistance!
    Finch Meadow Farm
    Performance Miniatures
    We love Combined Driving and it shows!

What do you have besides your tent? Do you plan on cooking or will food be provided at the event. I usually sweep out the trailer and use that as another "room" Before I got my LQ trailer, I heated up water on my camp stove for a sponge bath -- amazing how good that felt at the end of the day. I also started a spread sheet with 3 columns -- one for the horse, one for me and one for meals, so I could check off items as they were packed. How about a fold-up cot to keep you up off the ground? Be prepared for the worst and you should do just fine. I love camping at events.

My most pressing question of the moment is...how the heck do you stay relatively clean at a 4-day, 3 night event??? Cowboy shower? How do you manage this sort of thing?
    Baby wipes. Uh huh. We go camping for several days every summer and bring a big pack (or two... or twenty) of baby wipes. Go into the tent, zip it up, and wipe down, works for us.

upslady Guest

buy a zodi shower.. they are great...

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyVSE View Post
    I am cross-posting this from the driving forum, because I want to get as much advice as possible! Although I am a driver, I am sure there are many new endurance and trail riders that could benefit from this same information. I know you guys have been there and done that!

The financial situation being as it is in these days, I have decided to camp out with my horse at the CDEs this year. I have a nice little pen for my mare and have purchased a canopy to go over the top of it. It even has screened walls, to help with the bugs!

For myself, I bought a nice little camping tent that I am able to set up on my own, and is quite comfortable. Since this will be my first time camping at an event, I am wondering if anyone can share their favorite camping tips, checklists, must-haves, etc. I always travel on my own, and meet up with all my local friends at the event. I am really excited to begin my adventures for this season, but do not want to end up finding myself forgetting some essential!

What other important tips do you have to stay comfortable while camping at an event? Are there any web sites that I can reference also?

Thanks so much for any assistance!
    I have a truck tent thats mounts on my truck (the Adventure I by Enel). I feel safer sleeping up in the truck if in a tent. I also have a couple canopies (10x10 and 12x12), which each have full rain (solid, no windows) sides, full screen sides, and full tent bodies (with floors). I also have a separate two-room potty/shower tent, and I've set up a shower inside the canopy using a muck tub, an old umbrella and shower curtains! What I've brought to camp depended on how many were coming, how long we were staying and what the weather was going to be. I've set up a shower and bed in the trailer stalls, too (but that got old), and sometimes just wiped down in the back of the truck! I have Coleman's Hot Water On Demand (which I love) and a sun shower bag (which works very well, too); sometimes I've brought them both, and sometimes none at all!

I camped at Equine Affaire this weekend, and it was chilly in the a.m. (38*), so I just sponge-bathed in the truck tent with hot water heated in the tent. Potty is a 5 gal pail w/ potty seat (from Luggable Loo) with plastic bag liner, cat litter and deoderant. I dispise public facilities, and go out of my way at all costs to avoid using them.

I have a good self-inflating foam sleeping mat, and I always put down foam padding and carpeting in the bed of my truck (which is also Line-X'ed). Sometimes I bring a cot, sometimes not, although it's better if I do, as I can store things under it (Dodge Dakota, so not *too* much room).
    Cheryl in WNY
    Horse Kids Kit & Bobby

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, Cheryl, you went into great detail that will help a LOT! Awesome stuff! I looked at the truck tents also, but then thought what if I want to run to the store with my truck or something while out there. I somehow think that might be tuff on the tent!
    Finch Meadow Farm
    Performance Miniatures

I also have the Coleman Hot Water On Demand and it really is great! If you have room for a roll a way bed that is way more comfortable than a cot or those blow up things that I can't stand.
    When I had the bumper pull I would pull out the floor mats. Throw in a hooked rug, roll-a-way and battery lamp. Put a tarp over the trailer (had open sides) and tie it down. I loved it and hated to break down and put the horse back in my little suite!! very cozy and off the ground and water proof if it rained or from the dew.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

For sleeping I bought one of those memory foam mattress toppers form Walmart. It was about $80 for a queen but they provide so much cushion you could throw it on the gravel driveway and still be comfortable. I don't like blow up mattresses so this works really well.

I also second the baby wipes, but I buy the wet wipes for adults that's by the toilet paper. It doesn't smell like a wet moldy baby butt which I can't stand. Ack. Nothing is worse than the smell of baby wipes. But those other ones don't smell.

Default i vote for a cot if you can fit one into your tent.

i got a nice one from cabella's. it's extra large (hence i can only use it if i camp alone, otherwise it takes up too much room in my tent). it stays v. firm and feels much better on my back than a mat. also, i find that when camping the floor of your tent or trailer tends to get dirty no matter how hard you try not to dirty it, so it's nice to have your sleeping quarters above ground.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

We sometimes camp at events (horse trials) but we are pretty minimalist... we bring the tent, thermarest pads, some old wool blankets and sleeping bags, and a cooler full of food we don't have to cook. We also usually have children and dogs along with us, which definitely has an impact! The one best thing we bring is a good lantern we can hang from the middle of the tent so we can read or play cards or whatever at night. The second best thing we bring is baby wipes!! I've found unscented ones at the grocery store.

One main difference for us is that our horses are stabled either in tents or permanent stabling. This means there's electricity available for a coffeemaker or hot pot, which opens up endless possibilities... oatmeal, soup, hot chocolate, mac & cheese (I told you, we travel with teens and kids!). We try not to buy food from the food stand if we can help it, and we try not to leave the event grounds for meals if we can help it. We ask our friends who stay in hotels to bring us bags of ice for the cooler.

If it rains we pack up and sleep in the gooseneck. If it's really awful, we find a motel!

I put a tarp or stall mat under my tent. This keeps moisture down and if using a mat keeps the little pokies from poking you.
    Also in bad weather I build a little awning out of a tarp and sticks at the enterance of my tent. This is where shoes were taken off and stripping of wet gear before going into tent.

If you use a air mattress place a foam pad underneath, it will help with warmth and prevent punctures.

My favorite thing when camping is my headlamp. It's so nice to have my hands free while still being able to light my way. I've got one that has a red LED so that I don't blind myself or others in the middle of the night.

I just bought one of these to bring with camping--I'll get to enjoy sitting around a campfire without the mess or stinking the next day.
    http://www.campfiresandfirepits.com/

It's also nice to have an outdoor shelter area for yourself so you can sit and relax in the shade or out of the rain.

Thanks for more info, everyone. Great tips! I really appreciate it. I have gathered some good ones from these threads. Anyone else wanting to contribute, please do...I am sure this is going to be good for the archives.
    Finch Meadow Farm
    Performance Miniatures

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    I just bought one of these to bring with camping--I'll get to enjoy sitting around a campfire without the mess or stinking the next day.
    http://www.campfiresandfirepits.com/
    That is a nice idea for a campfire. I love a campfire but I feel guilty the few times each year we have one, because they burn so inefficiently and create SO much air pollution.

I love this thread! Its so timely for me...as I JUST 'camped' for the first time with a friend of mine this past weekend. We hauled our two horses to the Eastern Shore of VA for the Eastern shore trail ride. We had a blast! (but thats another story) ---Anyway. I have a two horse gooseneck slant load, with a small carpeted dressing room. I have bought two of those 'foam' folding chairs (think college dorm room) that fold flat to a single bed mattress.
    I have those up in the gooseneck, each to one side, so if two of us need to sleep up in the gooseneck, its not one big mattress, and so that there is a wide space inbetween for getting up/down/storing things, vs. always (!!) piled on your bed!
    Now, the two beds worked say if my daughter and I were camping, but my friend was thinking of sleeping on a cot in the horse trailer part, etc....so we'd each have privacy...y'know, my F250 back seat folds down flat, and that other fold out chair / mattress fit perfectly back there! so she had her own private inside bed.
    We brought a 'fire log' for each night we wanted a campfire, and of course additional wood to place on that one. We never worried about 'getting it started', etc...and it burned well and started right up. (OMG Leather, you cracked me up with that propane 'campfire' HAHAHAHAHA....we have gas logs at home, and all I wanted was a REAL campfire---and loved it.)
    We had a propane travel grill, and that did work great. Yummy steaks!
    The horse trailer part served well for lots of uses, storage of all horsey stuff, (to get it out of the dressing room area) drying horse blankets, etc, on the divider, the five gallon 'potty'/privacy, The kitty litter thing sounds interesting...I was most worried about the 'potty' when camping, and just couldn't figure out what was best.
    I'd LOVE to hear more about the shower/hot water/ items you guys mentioned!
    We were fortunate this time to have the owner of the property allow us showers at her house....but I'd love to know more about how you set up those showers when you need one!
    One thing (my apologies to all those who have them and enjoy them) I HATE is noisy, stinky GENERATORS. Sorry...but, I'd rather have primitive or a hook up. We left the noisy campground and headed back to our quiet peaceful spot by a pond with our campfire, and I was so glad we weren't in the 'pack'.
    I had a blast! And can't wait to learn more tips from you all for the next time!

ayrabz
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I got my Coleman Hot Water thingy from Bass Pro Shop along with this cute little green shower/potty tent that comes in its own little bag..you know one of those things that springs open ...really very nice. has a shower head holder, soap place, moon roof...UNTIL YOU TRY TO FOLD IT UP!!!!

8 sober adults worked on it over one weekend and we never got it!!! bend here twist this arm over this one and vole' it supposed to become a nice little round thing again!!! NOT!!

geesh I'd send it back if I could have gotten it in the package...???? hmmmm

Yes...love the headlamp ....gas 2 burner stove..ratchet for high line...and lots of cold fruit.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Last year at an endurance ride I was trotting my mare through camp to warmup and I smelled frying bacon This guy was in his pajamas frying bacon and pancakes outside his trailer. !!

That should be ilegal. I mean really, that is the most unfair thing you can do to a person who ate canned weenies and chips at 4 a.m. in the dark with a headlamp.

I nearly fell off my horse trying to get a look into his pan. All morning I dreamed about bacon and pancakes.

STAYING CLEAN AND FEELING REFRESHED

This is my set up at CTRs (I really should take a photo of it some time).
    I have a solar shower (about $8 at Wal Mart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8586959 ) that heats up nicely during the day. It hangs perfectly in my trailer from the spot where I tie my horse's lead rope!
    I sweep out the back of my trailer and hang curtains to cover the windows (actually - old sheets with bailing twine)
    I bring in a BIG size Rubermaid tote to catch the water.
    Add a chair for your clothes and stuff, a bath mat so you have something nice to stand on when stepping out of the tub, et voila!

Auventera!!! LOL!!! Camp stove, fry pan, and bacon are high on my checklist. Weenies and chips for breakfast!

It would be great if someone did have some photos of their camps. I can totally relate to the folding of the shelter thingie too. I kind of felt that way trying to stuff my tent back into its bag. Fold, press, fold, press, try to stuff, pull it back out, swear, roll on it to squish it further, etc., etc. After my triumph setting it up all on my own (a certain someone in my household was not only sure I couldn't do it, but was secretly wishing he was out there with a video camera so he could put it on youtube), I was danged if I was going to ask my husband for help getting it put away!!! It is in its bag now, but I must say the zippers are...ah...a little bit strained.
    Finch Meadow Farm
    Performance Miniatures

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyVSE View Post

It would be great if someone did have some photos of their camps. I can totally relate to the folding of the shelter thingie too. I kind of felt that way trying to stuff my tent back into its bag. Fold, press, fold, press, try to stuff, pull it back out, swear, roll on it to squish it further, etc., etc. After my triumph setting it up all on my own (a certain someone in my household was not only sure I couldn't do it, but was secretly wishing he was out there with a video camera so he could put it on youtube), I was danged if I was going to ask my husband for help getting it put away!!! It is in its bag now, but I must say the zippers are...ah...a little bit strained.
    Haaaa! LOL! Hey, I know that feeling well!! My friend and I were thrilled that it only took 15 minutes to completely set up the 2 room tent, then pretty much horrified when it took an hour to get it halfway stuffed back into the bag in a somewhat contained fashion with stuff sticking out at odd angles that we were sure weren't sticking out before. The horses were bored and tired and like - geeze people can't we just go home already?! We kept telling them - only a couple more minutes....yeah right!