The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hay feeders tha look like a house...???

I just looked at the post about round bales and realized doh. Someone on this BB will know about this...

In searching for a covered round bale feeder, I found one that was available from a seller in Lancaster PA, and somewhere in Canada. Basically, it looked like a Little Tykes play houseon steroids.

It was square, had a floor, molded ag grade pvc (or cousin) sides --complete with look of crossrail fence that had 2 big 'windows' per side, and a molded roof. It could be opened into two sides (like a giant doll house) to load. You could actually buy singe half to put against a wall.

I think they were around $500 plus ship to FL and I thought 'looks cool, but I'd never order one without talking to someone that has at least seen them'

After looking at the round bale thread, I tried to find the website again, and can't.

Can someone tell me what they were called, and has anybody actually got one?

I saw them in the Virginia horse journal or Horse talk magazine. Both are online btw, so try a search.
    Jen Evans & DaBear

Default Update

They are Duplessis Feeders
    http://www.horse.on.ca/directory/farm_supplies.html

and ha ha on me, when I googled duplessis hay feeder, the first thing that came up was a COTH thread.

Still looking for fresh comments...

I have seen them in use as a TB farm near here has one in the broodmare field. We do not have one, but I drive by & look at theirs.

I have two of these feeders and they are great. I saved so much hay this year from the horses not being able to toss it about that one hard-core round bale will do five mares for at least a week, and my horses are on 24/7 turn-out. Even my husband, who always complains about having to deal with 'those damn horses' thinks the hay huts are more than worth the money, espcially with the price and availability of hay these days!

Here is the USA representative, since they are a canadian firm:

http://www.duplessishorsefeeder.com/Feeder8USA.html

stellabella Guest

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by asanders View Post
    They are Duplessis Feeders
    http://www.horse.on.ca/directory/farm_supplies.html

and ha ha on me, when I googled duplessis hay feeder, the first thing that came up was a COTH thread.

Still looking for fresh comments...
    Those covered hay feeders are now available in Florida BTW.- There is a video link at http://www.palominowarmbloods.com/hay.html So you can see how simple they are to use. They save a lot of hay and money and labor!

We have never fed big bales.
    I am afraid that, with our rattler problem, we may have horses bitten if we have such bales around, much less in such places, that those snakes love to get into.

Some newcomer up the road bought one of those. The first time I saw it the horses were eating the hay and I thought they all had their heads stuck in some kid's dollhouse. I can see that thing becoming a faded brittle piece of junk eventually. But that's true of most farm equipment isn't it.

I think it's a waste of money and would eventually become a happy haven for lots of wasps and mud daubers. But whatever works for you is just dandy.

I have seen this one made by Eberly Barns in Lancaster.

http://www.eberlybarns.net/hayracks.cfm
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Some newcomer up the road bought one of those. The first time I saw it the horses were eating the hay and I thought they all had their heads stuck in some kid's dollhouse. I can see that thing becoming a faded brittle piece of junk eventually. But that's true of most farm equipment isn't it.

I think it's a waste of money and would eventually become a happy haven for lots of wasps and mud daubers. But whatever works for you is just dandy.
    Hey, now.....no need to bring my name into it!

I thought the same thing as you about these. I was also wondering if they sweat and if so, how much mold that would cause.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Here is a much less expensive version of the duplessis style feeder, manufactured in Missouri:

Bale Bonnet
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

saw these at the horse expo last year, i think i remember them saying that you need a tractor to lift them up in order to place them over the round bale

Wink

Yes those are the Duplessis models. Manufactured in Quebec. They are somewhat popular here (in Southern Ontario) and from what I have seen in the fields are holding up OK so far. The oldest I have seen is only about 2 years though. With our hot humid summers and freezing cold winters so far so good. What I wonder about is the UV life of the plastic however. For almost $600.00 apiece I would like to think they will last at least 10 years or so....time will tell.

They are manufactured in two components...both of which can be handled easily by one person or lifted together and moved by a tractor.

Here's another source. They are French Canadian but they are located in NC.

http://www.fgreiningcollection.com/Home.html

You'll need a tractor anyway to move the round bales.

I did find these (the duplessis) in Florida months ago near Ocala. I was glad I actually got to see one.

Frankly, they were a lot more cheaply made than I had expected. I assumed they were much heavier duty than Little Tikes stuff; like the weight of the mounting blocks or jumps that I can't afford. They were not. Also, I had assumed they attached to a base (full=heavy), but they just sit over the top. I have no doubt that my big guy could (thus would) move it around.

I solved my problem by sending one of the boys North, so now my middle stall houses the round bale feeder (they don't go in with it, the sides are closed off, and they have access to the front face).

joharder Guest

Default AGI Feeder

I've used the AGI feeder for about six months now and love it. It's plastic, so when my horses lift their knees to get rid of a fly, they don't bang into a hard metal bar. It keeps the hay in the feeder, so waste is almost nothing.

I put the hay on a wooden palate to keep it off the ground. I use a 10'x10' canopy from Ace Canopy (www.acecanopy.com) over it, so with the exception of a really nasty sideways rain, my hay is dry and horses are happy with the shade.

The downside is that if any rain does get into the inside of the feeder, it gets and stays nasty. It's easy enough to prop the feeder on the side of the wooden palate and comb out the wet hay around the palate from underneath. Let the sun dry it out for an hour or so, and that's it.

It's a lot less work than putting a tarp over a metal hay ring when it rains!

USA Link from their site:

http://www.fduplessis.ca/indexUSA.html

Well Asanders - I am guessing you are a blonde if you think you must undo the 20 bolts and nuts that hold the halves together in order to load a bale! You might like to go to this link to see how it really should be done - http://www.palominowarmbloods.com/hay.html and click on the youtube link at the bottom picture.
    It will also show why you don't need a heavy base for it.
    I regret that your examination of one at Ocala found it to be cheaply made; we have used quite a number of these units in Florida for 8 months and find them to be extremely robust in all respects and not one has been moved by any of our 'big' horses; nor indeed abused in any way. The horses seem to respect them enormously because, after all, they are one of their sources of sustenance. And the hay / money savings are very significant. We have reduced our hay requirement from 150 round bales last year to 110 this year by virtue of the dramatic reduction in wastage. This is a saving of $2450 to us which we are extremely happy with. We estimate one unit feeding one bale per week will more than repay its cost in much less than a year and we expect that these units should last at least 5 to 7 years. They are UV protected and very impact resistant as indeed they should be because the US Army uses identical material for desert storage units.
    Nonetheless I have to congratulate you on your innovative solution to your round bale feeding requirements- Hope you're not paying board on the one you shipped north?!

And please - Am I right?
    Last edited by pura vide; Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Thought it would reply to Asanders