The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where can I buy this kind of bridle in the U.S.?

https://dixonsmith.com.au/IMGS/product/big/prod169A.jpg

I can only find this style in australian tack shops but I don't necessarily want to buy from another country and deal with the conversion and shipping and all that.

Do you know where I can find this aussie style of bridle HERE? I'm thoroughly lost on this one.

Default honestly i don't see anything unusual about this bridle.

maybe the photo is too small for me to see.
    but if you just look at tayloredtack.com website go to bridles, i see at least 3 there that look like that one.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two
    Do you know where I can find this aussie style of bridle HERE? I'm thoroughly lost on this one.

Pretty much every aussie store has them (down under web, that malibu place...google brings them right up) but John Lyons sells the nicest one I've seen for a good price. Tory leather used to make one - I picked one up new for $5 at a fire sale once - and it was an ok trail bridle, but nothing special. The bulkiness overwhelms the nifty ultimate adjustment, and it was the world's worst PITA to change bits.
    Last edited by LuvMyNSH; Apr. 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: can't spell anything right tonight...

The Australian Stock Saddle Co carries them and is located in the US. It's called a Barcoo Bridle by them. Scroll down: http://www.aussiesaddle.com/tack_for_sale.htm

I have two of them It is a pita to change bits, and they do run large, but you can easily either yourself or a tack maker add holes and remove excess strap length (as I had to on one for my small mare)

Personally, I would avoid having the metal rings like that. (Potential pressure points!) Especially on a thin-skinned horse.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the difference between that and normal biothane headstall

Quote Originally Posted by questisthebest View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the difference between that and normal biothane headstall
    Look at the throat strap and the brow band.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Personally, I would avoid having the metal rings like that. (Potential pressure points!) Especially on a thin-skinned horse.
    I have ridden many hours using my bridles and not had a problem with rubs, even on my very thin skinned TWH gelding who get rubs from halters every so often or my Standardbred mare who can't even wear a halter during the summer.

Given that most Aussie style gear is designed with comfort for both horse and rider in mind, I don't think that the style would have persevered if it had any major issues with rubbing a horse. The leather (at least on mine) keeps the rings from even having contact with the horse.

Well obviously it works for many but given the choice between having extra hardware or not, I'll skip it. Icelanders have also traditionally made bridles with a similar configuration, but it was more a way to deal with smaller (and cheaper) bits of leather and easy repairs rather than horse comfort.

A friend of mine had the exact style made by one of the custom biothane tack companies. She liked it because she did not have to have an extra strap over the poll for the throatlatch. I liked the idea, too, but I need another headstall like I need a hole in the head!

What color will you get? Huh? Huh?

I have the bridle in black leather and a really cool breastplate that is adjustable in 5 places. Now I found the bridle a bit small (16.3hh TB mare) but just let out the browband and crown pieces. My mare is very thin skinned and seems quite comfortable in it.

Got mine from http://www.downunderweb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Jake View Post

What color will you get? Huh? Huh?

I don't know! You know, I've tried all sorts of colors on my horse but in the end I just like plain ole' black with some kind of bling like gold or silver. The big bright colors are so overwhelming on her tiny petite little head.

I always wanted that $450 Warendorf black rolled dressage bridle for her but thought it would be overkill for the trail. I don't like getting leather in the water anyway.

I have a set of pink stuff and a set of blue but it always makes her look clunky and thick.

What about yellow? I love that color against a brown or red. I really would like to get a full yellow set for Jake, but I do not have money to burn and cannot justify the $250 to do it!

Like you, I have gone with black. I have never had the chance to buy my tack all at once.. usually as I can afford it, so weith colors not always available, black was the easiest to get. Plus, if I do want to chance colors, everything goes with black!

Amigo is in Purple with a tie-die breastcollar this year, and Trapper is going with Day-Glo blue.

Darn Endurance people and their colors.....

I wish I could find the picture again, but somewhere on endurance.net there was the most beautiful photo ever. It was a dark bay horse galloping across a field. The tack was all black with just a gold browband. The horse was very tall and leggy with fine features. No colors at all. It just looked very elegant to me.

Then the next picture was a lady in a hawaiin shirt with about 10 different colors on herself and her horse. It was so cute because the horse looked so happy and the rider was ear to ear grin but I went yeeeesh those are bright colors. I can't help it. I guess some shred of dressage queen still lives within me somewhere.

DarkRide Guest

Default Don't know about the quality

I got a leather one from John Lyons which I use for my Competitive Trail Rides...