The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Article in US News & World Reports

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/erbe/200...orses-too.html

Here's my letter to the editor that I sent this morning:
    I'm writing in regard to Bonnie Erbe's article "Riding Kills Horses, Too." *Just wanted to make you aware that she got her facts wrong: The competition to which she refers is Red Hills, not "Fair Hills." *Red Hills is a competition in Tallahassee, Florida, held in March, while Fair Hill (no "s") is a competition in Fair Hill, Maryland, held in October. *To the nonhorseperson, this mistake will probably go unnoticed, but to the horseperson this mistake will probably cause them to disregard Ms. Erbe's opinion on the matter. I'm sending a link to the organizers of Fair Hill, as this mention is quite unfair to them.

In the future, if Ms. Erbe would like to write about the sport of eventing, I suggest she first speak with someone from the U.S. Eventing Association. *She can find them at www.useventing.com. *

I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Second, horses are sometimes forced to maintain speeds at the gallop that their hearts simply cannot abide.
    Aaarrrgh! How do you reply to what she wrote? I don't see a comment field or anything.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I have more problems with her then you obviously.

1) the horses didn't die of heart attacks, they died from bleeding.
    2) they weren't being pushed to hard, Johns horse died at the 8th fence, that is about 2 minutes into a course.
    3) There is no way we can force a horse to do something like cross country if they don't want to do it (lets see I weigh 160, Owen weighs 1100, whos going to win that discussion)
    4) just because she rides hunters doesn't mean she knows what she is talking about! I went to a jumper show in Sacramento last year and 2 horses died there. 1 in the hunter ring over a fence from an a-fib attack dropped dead mid air, and a jumper that was euthanized after breaking its leg.

Get some facts before you write the article honey!

If you mean me, mjrtango93, I was only responding to what I found to be the MOST egregious statement--not the ONLY egregious statement!
    Sportponies Unlimited

I clicked on the "Contact Us" and filled in a letter to the editor.

MJTango: You should write in with all those facts! I started in on all that, but didn't have the specifics, and I need to do actual work this morning. I figured a quick post on COTH might generate some more interest for people to write in.

I'll let you all know if I get a response.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

No not you, Bonnie Erble. She has so many inaccuracies its insane they let her print that! I have no problem with you pwynn!

My guess is that the editors at US flubbed that up, since her previous editorial in Scribbs says Red Hills.
    Have to say, that the two pieces in some ways hardly sound like the same person wrote them.
    I agree with her final paragraph in the Scribbs statement, but the US piece smells a bit of sensationalism.

Funny, I'd again like to see the H/J horse/rider fatality statistics compared to those of Eventing.
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Ooops, sorry, mjrtango93.

OK, where exactly is "Contact us" on that page? Oh, did you sent it to the publication's "contact us"? OK.

Sheesh, though, she sure is opinionated and biased. Take a look at the stands she takes on other issues.

Actually, then again, it is a blog, isn't it? Supposed to be opinionated and biased. Hopefully, as with other blogs, only those who see the world the way she does read what she writes.
    Sportponies Unlimited

GAH!!!!!

I am choking and speechless (for once).

I'm most pissed that if you look at the keyword search on the bottom that it has "animal abuse" as one of them!

Default Editor

Would you mind providing the email address to the editor?
    I will write a response, and I am considering including the "drug thread" from the hunter/jumper section.
    Ignorance is bliss but very harmful.

"pushing animals to unhuman lengths..."

Um--they ARE unhumans. If she's going to make a habit of writing such articles, she may want to review her vocabulary. There is a big difference between unhuman and inhumane.

wow- fact check much Ms. Erble?
    The is much quicker to list the facts she got right than the statements that are wrong.
    This is just a blog right?
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

As a hunter rider/eventing fan, most hunter riders have NO CLUE as to the horsemanship required of eventing. That said, it is our responsibility in any discipline to look to our horses first. As to not being able to "force" horses to jump, you can train horses to do anything-remember war horses charging cannon fire? Horses have been dying forever in service to human ego. The eventing community is very forthright in confronting the problem-kudos, and I wish we hunter riders were as brave in examining our discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by pwynnnorman View Post
    Actually, then again, it is a blog, isn't it? Supposed to be opinionated and biased. Hopefully, as with other blogs, only those who see the world the way she does read what she writes.
    The problem is, blogs are taken as "God's Honest Truth" rather than simply someone spouting their own (humble) opinion. The responses build to the point where there's a fire out of control in no time. PETA steps in, uses the uninformed or partial truths as facts and evidence and WE (equine sports enthusiasts) become the bad guys, the abusers.

To the point of horses have similar accidents and fatalities in many of our sports, an organization like PETA doesn't care if we point at the other sports and say looky looky, they have problems too. We are ALL culpable, in their ignorant eyes.

I, and I'm sure all of you, do not want someone coming onto my farm and saying, "You are an abuser simply because you own horses, because we read on X obscure blog(s) that you are all abusers. Therefore, we are going to confiscate your poor, abused horses and take care of them in the way we deem appropriate." Meanwhile, they have no clue, limited resources, and my horses become actual victims of neglect and are finally euthenized because the confiscating agency cannot care for them as I did, as you did.

Sounds far-fetched, doesn't it.

What I don't get is that there is this huge outcry on this BB to make this sport safer for horses and humans alike, but when the press (an outsider) writes about it, the person is vilified. What are you guys afraid of?

I'm sorry, but it's time for eventing to either put up and shut up or reap what it has sown.

Flyingchange - Have you not read the article? Have you not noticed the vast inaccuracies? I think we can all agree that there is a request for change, a safe evolution, for the sport of eventing. However, if an outsider is going to make claims and references, they should be accurate - even if they are biased.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchange View Post
    What I don't get is that there is this huge outcry on this BB to make this sport safer for horses and humans alike, but when the press (an outsider) writes about it, the person is vilified. What are you guys afraid of?

I'm sorry, but it's time for eventing to either put up and shut up or reap what it has sown.
    I don't think the problem is that it's an outsider writing about it. The problem is that this particular outsider who wrote about it didn't get their facts straight. I don't even event, and I found her comments ridiculous.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by sharri13 View Post
    Flyingchange - Have you not read the article? Have you not noticed the vast inaccuracies? I think we can all agree that there is a request for change, a safe evolution, for the sport of eventing. However, if an outsider is going to make claims and references, they should be accurate - even if they are biased.
    Exactly!

It is poorly written... but then it is USA Today.