The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lusitano stallions...

I am looking for a tall (at least 16 hh) Lusitano stallion who is either buckskin, perlino, cremello or palomino. Something of super quality and dressage type movement....

Would love to be directed somewhere...

Thanks!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

http://www.raineyvalleyfarm.com/stallions/saphiro.htm

I've always admired this stallion, perhaps others know more about him and his offspring.

On Saphiro's FAQ page they mention that he is A/A for agouti - so no smokey black (re: your other thread).
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I have a week-old filly by Lusidias (www.baroquefarmsusa.com) that I just adore. Luke is about 16.1h, buckskin, and has the most lovely movement I have ever seen. I think he only sires bay and buckskin.

He has a wonderful personality, very happy-go-lucky, and the first to whinny a greeting when anyone walks into the barn. His movement at 15 is as nice as it was when the video was taken at 4. He seems to be very consistent in the foals he sires.

As for my girl, she is out of a QH cross mare who is 15.1 or 15.2. When she was born, she was so tall that she had trouble nursing. I am guessing she will get to 16 hands easy. She is very playful and sweet, but pretty shy. She is coming around though. I adore her movement, as she already has quite a lot of sit. He looks to have really improved my mare's canter, which is exactly what I was hoping for. My filly either walks or canters though, so I haven't been able to evaluate her trot yet.

The others two of Luke's babies that I have met were shy as weanlings/yearlings, but when they turned 1.5 or 2 (I think) they really started to beg for attention. They both had very cute personalities.

Of course, my mare is also quite a tough cookie, so I'm sure that some of Annie's shyness has come from her mother. She really does seem to be the perfect combination of mom and dad at this point.

Pictures are here: http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/shiloh04/annie/

They are all from her first couple days. Pictures of my mare, for comparison, are here: http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/lucy%20pics/

If I were going to breed my mare again, I would breed back to Luke in a heartbeat. But I don't need 4 horses

Thanks guys for the info and Hampton your horses look lovely...
    I really like that buckskin stallion mentioned but really would prefer to stick with a cremello IF I can find one of excellent quality.

I LOVE Saphiro...which he were a bit taller but he looks sooooo cool. I actually saw some incredible foals by him out of friesians mares and it has sort of piqued my interest to say the least.

I suppose getting froze semen from Brazil would be difficult ?

Thanks!
    www.svhanoverians.com

Sure you don't want a grey? Vermont Lusitano's has 2 gorgeous ones. www.lusitanohorse.com
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

Just as an update, I did see my filly trot today, so I now know she is capable, and it is very nice. Luke really seems to have improved on my mare. My mare is correct, but not very flashy. The filly is much flashier than her mom.

If anyone has video of Saphiro, I would be interested in seeing it. Someday I plan to breed my filly for a 3/4 Lusitano foal, in 4 or 5 years or so.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Xerox is very interesting. Perlino, I think. VERY baroque. Very old style head. A little too strongly baroque for my tastes, but I haven't seen any of his foals, and of course it would depend on the mare.

I have a breeding to Saphiro. I will also be using a buckskin & pearl stallion named Mateo, who is a Saphiro son out of an INCREDIBLE mare--El Altivo daughter. I don't know how big he'll end up, he's not huge now, but is still quite young. The genetics are there for size though. (it's not an issue for me, I'm happy with 15h )

I saw a cremello at Equine Affaire in MA that I inquired about, but I don't think they are standing him. He is still intact. He's out in Western MA--big and incredible mover. I can dig up the email if you are interested. He himself is not advertised nor does he have a webpage.

I have info on several pallies and buckskins in a year-old IALHA mag... I would certainly consider Lavrador. Lusiadas. There are quite a few more single dilutes than doubles, as until very, very recently the Portuguese have considered the double dilute to be genetically inferior (some still do.)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Saphiro is 16.1 hh, so not small. I bred two mares to him, both TBs and got a gorgeous buckskin filly and a lovely palomino colt (now gelding). I have since sold both of them to great homes. I highly recommend the stallion and his lovely owners, who are wonderful to deal with.

Lavrador and Lusidias and half-brothers (same sire) I believe. They resemble each other pretty strongly, but I've not seen video of Lavrador.

Is Xerox the stallion whose face is very very very curved? Ick, I really would not want to risk having a baby with that head, even if he tends not to pass it on.

JP Giacomini (Luke's owner) was supposed to have a perlino stallion coming from Portugal soon, but his picture has been removed from the website. I keep forgetting to ask if they are not buying him after all. He was 17h at 5-yo.

Interesting info guys.
    Xerox doesn't really look to be my cup of tea, I agree the head is a bit much.

Saphiro on the other hand is super looking, in my mind..though I wonder what the movement is like? I have seen quite a few foals from him that I really like...and the fact that he appeals to be despite being my most hated color says alot LOL. I also really like that the owners have requirements for the mares and they wont breed to just anything...that earns my respect!

Innis I sent you a pm.

I also contacted Lukes owner about the perlino and they said that they had sold him Too bad.
    www.svhanoverians.com

Default video of saphiro

I have a 2004 DVD of Saphiro I would be willing to mail to somebody if they are interested. It actually turned me off, he is attractive, but a bit too "up" for my taste.

Okggo,
    I just ordered mine ..anxious to see it.

How about this boy...anyone know anything about him? I really like the way he moves if we are talking Lusitanos. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDBw...eature=related
    www.svhanoverians.com

Ohhhh he looks nice! Where is he located though? The video says something about Brazil and Mexico? The riding ring certainly does not look American.

Is the mare you are planning to breed PSL? Do you have pictures?

Hey there,
    Yes he does look like hes in Brazil. I wonder if they export frozen semen? I am totally new to Lusitanos...am actually thinking of lusitano for a friesian mare as a keeper horse for my mom. Still not sure about it though....

There is also this stallion who is located just a few hours from me. Hard to tell much though from the pics..he looks pretty enough. Might be worth going to look.
    http://www.swancreekandalusians.ca/Xadrez.html
    www.svhanoverians.com

I saw pics of a Friesian/Luso cross once, and I really liked him. The breeds are similar enough that it ended up being a very nice cross.

So are you looking to get a buckskin? What kind of temprament?

Haha yes I have seen some of the crosses too and I really like them. Type is very similiar (this friesian is short coupled) just want to add ability to collect. Buckskin would be nice... ( I have always wanted a buckskin luso..so this would be the next closest thing hehe). It's funny because we have always been diehard "purebred people" but I am tempted to try this just once, I love the lusitanos!.

The mare is a first premium ster mare so there is not alot to improve on..just want to find something similiar enough with decent freedom in the shoulder. What are their temperments like....are they "arab hot" or what? This mare is quite hot herself...would like to tone it down a bit if possible.
    www.svhanoverians.com

Some of them are very calm and some are hotter, just as with any breed. I spent some time with Luke's owners and their other stallions, and all 4 had different personalities and different levels of hotness. The palomino is very much a puppy dog. They use him to tease the mares over the fence, and it is done with just a cotton lead rope. Luke is pretty laid back and happy-go-lucky, but has a bit more spunk to him. I would still not call him hot. They grey stallion is very trainable and easy to work with. The black stallion is sweet and loves his work, but is very hot. I was quite impressed with his work ethic though. He really settled right into being lunged and just tried his heart out.

Those are the only 4 stallions I met in person, so I really can't say much for the breed as a whole. I was impressed with the work ethic in general, and with the love for their people. They do not tend to be lazy horses at all, and they are very smart and willing.

I am very happy with my filly. She looks to have gotten her dad's movement, and she is very athletic. She has a ton of personality, aside from my inability to catch the little stinker. Mom can be pretty difficult though, and I'm positive the filly got it from her mom.

Hampton,
    I had looked at the video of luke but didn't wait long enough for the real time stuff. WOW can he move...he is just stunning!!! Love the long legs too. How tall is he..do you know? His color is amazing as well..thats exactly what I would like....

Thanks for all your help!
    www.svhanoverians.com

Luke is about 16.1h, and from what I have been told he tends to produce babies about his height. I've only seen bay and buckskin foals from him, so you won't get a black or smokey black. They bays he seems to sire are bright red-bay like my filly.

I will have to get some video of Annie moving so you can see her gaits compared to her dam. I saw her trot down the barn aisle and my jaw almost hit the floor.

The thing I really liked about JP's stallions is that in person, I found them even nicer than the video. They were definitely not talked up, but advertised very fairly.