The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Report on the Oldenburg Auction is Up!

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to let you know that I finished the report on the Oldenburg auction and it's up with video highlights. Go to: www.oldenburghorse.com and you'll see the introduction of the report on the first page. After that you can click on "News" to see the rest of the report and the videos.

Enjoy!
    Stephanie

friend Dinah is in fourth picture - too bad Sabine lost out on the bidding on the horse she wanted
    thanks for the link
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an auction in the US for breeders over here to send our nice young horses to, and for the world to come try to buy....
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Hi,
    We talk about that all the time because we'd love to see the North American Breeders have that chance, but it's so difficult because of the geography.

I just did a good interview with Uwe Heckmann and he told me that in the late 80's PSI actually did a few auctions in the North East. They flew all of their equipment, promotional material and people over for it, but it didn't work so well. It was just too expensive, and I think people are just too spread out.

If anyone had any really good ideas on how to coordinate something like that we're all ears.

I will say that any North American breeders that are members of GOV and have Oldenburg horses in Germany are more than welcome to have their horses evaluated and selected for the auctions. Heck you could even fly them over for it if you wanted, but I think in that case it would have to be pretty special to get that investment back.

What do you think of the online auctions? I've seen some on the internet, but I wonder how well they work.
    Best,
    Stephanie

Talking about PSI auctions, it must have been at Chestnut Lawn Farm in Virginia since PS owned the farm for quite a few years and had auctions there. The present owners, the Salisburys, bought Chestnut Lawn Farm from Paul Schockemohle.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

PSI had auctions in Newport, RI
    Anne
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    PSI had auctions in Newport, RI

What year?
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

In partnership with George Morris (and possibly Mason Phelps) for several years in late 70's or early 80's--They held a big money jumper show up there about the same time. I think there was also a Fla. PSI sale in that same time frame as I had a Zeus gelding who had gone through the Fla. sale. Check with George or Mason for exact dates, but it was after the Schockemoeles had sponsored Robert Dover on Romantico and before the purchase of Chestnut Lawn.
    Anne
    -------

That's interesting. I think the Rhode Island auction is what Uwe was referring to. I said late 80's, but he might have just said "80's".

It does seem that it's been a long time since anyone has tried to do an auction for young horses in the States. I wonder with the internet advantages on getting the word out and being able to view the collection before traveling there, that it would go better now.

It would just still be difficult to get all of the young horses gathered in one place, and set up a center with good auction riders like we have here in Germany a month before the auction. I think people need time to personally go and see the horses, and have a good chance to ride them.

It certainly wouldn't be easy.

FYI Paul Schockemohle purchased Chestnut Lawn Farm in 1981 and sold it to George and Linda Salisbury, the present owners, in 1989. So I don't know when the auctions in the north east would have taken place, particularily if it was before PS purchased CLF.

Like I said, late 70's/early 80's to my recollection. Maybe I have some brochures from their promotion in my files, or I could ask my friend Dianna Rankin. Or you could ask George Morris since he partnered in the deal. Once the S's owned Chestnut Lawn they did some auctions there--Dan Gafford was high bidder on a horse at one as I recall.
    German TV was a Dressage at Devon the year Robert Dover rode the Rheinischepferde gelding Romantico and did a long piece about marketing German horses in the USA (which was obviously very successful)! Before that US breeders had great profile and business for both warmbloods and thoroughbreds. As far as I can tell, future marketing efforts from registries abroad will be based on the same historic import/export premise: they export, we import.
    Anne
    -------

Very interesting Anne, thanks for the info.

It sounds like it's time for me to interview PS and do a little more homework on the history of the auctions.

I would think with PSI what you are saying about export/import is true because they own so many horses, but I wouldn't speak so fast about all foriegn registries.

My feeling having worked for the GOV for over a year now here in Germany is that they care much more about helping North American breeders than people think. There is a big push right now to improve our operations in North America, and we will be announcing our first sponsored Oldenburg Breed and Material Show which will take place in September.

There isn't any talk really about doing an auction for North America now because of how difficult and expensive it would be, but I know they are open to discussions and I personally want to help as much as I can to realize any ideas that are reasonable.

We do offer free advertising for sales horses on our website for our members, and I'm going to work on improving that section. There should be more that could be done, but we have to take it step by step.

Just seems that right now with the currency issues, it makes a heck of a lot more sense for Germans to import and Americans to export!