The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which stallions throw movement?

Doesn't necessarily have to be a dressage stallion, but which stallions are known for being dominant in throwing big gaited, high suspension, lofty moving offspring that are natural passagers (if thats a word)? Obviously it also depends on the mare, but I am looking for some dominant genes here. thanks.

Mannhattan is a noble stallion of medium size that has been crossed with a wide variety of mare types, some better than others and I believe he has consistently improved movement and athletism in the mares used. Breed show premiums to top scoring foals included. Also you will find his stud fee very reasonable and two of the best stallion owners to deal with that you will find anywhere on any continent. That is one solution to your question and a very economical one at that, something important to consider in today's economic slide.

One stallion son of his Morocco has been shown successfully to the highest levels of dressage competition, and he was out of a thoroughbred mare.

Really, thanks Hocus Focus. I found a video of Manhattan jumping, definitely an athletic guy! Thanks for the recommendation and reference about his offspring too. Will definitely keep him in mind.

Letkiss, Gold Luck, Olivier, Walldorf (deceased - frozen only)

From what I have seen, Sandro Hit seems to be a pretty consistent sire of offspring with a lot of movement. Very lofty, good knee and good suspension. There are lots of good Sandro Hit sons standing in the US - SonntagsKind (Sandro Hit/Donnerhall/Rubinstein), Schroeder (Sandro Hit/Escudo I), Sagnol (Sandro Hit/Landadel), Sinatra Song (Sandro Hit/Pik Bube II)

All very good looking boys!

I would say W line..Weltmeyer and any of his sons are very much known for this. Of them all I personally like Wolkenstein II the best.

Also second Sandro Hit and sons...pretty sure bet to improve on movement and legginess. You do need a mare with an engine and good walk though.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Cathalido consistently produces "big gaited, high suspension, lofty moving offspring".

Sandro Hit and sons very frequently produce that kind of movement. You will also find it most often in Holsteiner stallions, and in many French-bred stallions. Friesian stallions also tend to produce high, flashy gaits, but many of them are more up and down in front and out behind, without a lot of "sit and carry" ability. That is actually something to watch out for with any big-moving horse - while it may look impressive as heck, you also want to make sure the horse has carrying power behind - not just "push".

Oskar throws his movement and his "sit" ability on every foal I've ever seen. Very modern type Trakehner stallion. Video link to a youtube video of him: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WMR1tN1K9m4

The Sandro Hit horses also have the movement.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, RPSI, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I have seen a lot of Gold Luck offspring and he very consistently puts on a lot of suspension and cadence to the gaits. I have 2 Gold Luck offspring out of Weltmeyer damlines - so they both have tons of suspension.

I do think that SH sires big moving horses, but I don't see that ability to sit well (ie, passage) yet from his offspring (my opinion). That being said, I am breeding to a SH son this year (Starlight).

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I would say W line..Weltmeyer and any of his sons are very much known for this. Of them all I personally like Wolkenstein II the best.

Also second Sandro Hit and sons...pretty sure bet to improve on movement and legginess. You do need a mare with an engine and good walk though.
    I agree with Donella!

I have an outstanding Windfall CB (he's a Weltmeyer son) filly. Check him out at www.bredahldressage.com .

I am interested in, a few years from now, breeding my Windfall CB filly to Sinatra Song, who is a Sandro Hit son. Check him out at www.hphanoverians.com

Are you looking for a current stallion or historic bloodlines? If you are looking for a breeding match what bloodlines do your mare(s) carry? Are you looking for a fancy trot and have a great walk and canter in your mare(s)? Are you planning for an all-round foal or dressage/upper level prospect? There are a lot of good suggestions but it is hard to comment intelligently without more mare-line information.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Mare is a thoroughbred, but she is a bigger mare 16.2hh-16.3hh, with a pretty big trot with a fair bit of suspension for a TB. I think she could probably do fairly well in dressage on her own, but if I'm going to breed her, would like to get even more trot out of the baby.

She is very leggy, fairly long back and neck too. She has a perfect canter and nice walk too plus an extremely calm personality. Her only downfall is she is a chestnut thoroughbred mare, but doesn't act it. Her bloodlines really are nothing special, she is BC bred out of Alfaari. She doesn't have the prettiest head either, not that it really matters that much.

I am looking to breed a baby (for myself) that is basically an all round sport type horse. I love to event, but I also love dressage, and would love to produce a baby with big natural movement that can collect, but also has a great deal of suspension. Yes, I definitely want to aim for an upper level prospect. Mom is already very nice, but if I am looking to improve anything it would be shorter back, more width and depth in hindquarters.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely check them out, I have'nt had a chance to check out each one yet. I saw a video of Dimaggio and was pretty blown away by this young horse's natural gaits. His walk alone was breathtaking.

Your mare sounds similar to the mare I bred to Windfall CB. My girl is also a TB with good bone. She's 16h, so a little shorter than your girl. Very sensible, very athletic, a very competitive sport horse in her own right. Though I would have been thrilled with a carbon copy of her, I thought that the potential areas for improvement were shortening the back and adding some suspension to the movement. The filly is just what I hoped for: Sensible, personable, and athletic like her mother, with a shorter back and more spring in her stride. The filly also appears to have some significant jumping ability, but I'm not sure if Windfall contributed to that or not, as her mother is an outstanding jumper, and I've not ever seen any pictures of Windfall jumping. (This is Charlotte Bredahl's Windfall, not Darren Chiacha's, btw.)

Wow, found this youtube video of windfall CB. Very nice guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaO0Lx5Tw0k

Maresnest I would love to see a picture of your filly out of him!

Edgewood, I couldn't find any videos of Gold Luck,although I did find his website. He is quite gorgeous, would like to see him move though.

I have seen some Sandro Hit offspring, one was a yearling with lovely lovely movement, so thanks for that suggestion as well!

Will keep checking them out, thanks for the suggestions!

KWPN Keur stallion, Farrington may be worth checking out. He has crossed extremelly well with thoroughbred mares and consistently produces horses with 3 fabulous gaits. They are very strong and powerful horses, and certainly have plenty of suspension. He has produced Grand Prix dressage horses out of thoroughbred mares. Not only that, their temperments are fantastic and they LOVE to work.

If you want a horse that is going to passage correctly and well, I agree with many of the other posters that for sure you have a really strong hind end. And also, don't forget that most of the Grand Prix test is canter work, so since your mare already has a good canter, you don't want to lose that with your choice in stallion.

Also, if your mare is JC than you get Register A Dutch papers, which is nice.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Another nice stallion available fresh is Autocrat. He sired great moving (especially trot) and jumping horses and crosses great with tb's.

http://www.mts.net/~woodhave/
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Pablo, beautiful stallion with 3 beautiful gaits and you won't lose the jump. He is also not very long. I plan to breed a TB mare to him soon, just love him. http://www.rainbowequus.com/pablo.html

Default Ironman

Ironman has gorgeous movement as do all of his children. He does have some offspring already showing and winning in dressage. His children currently showing in hunter breeding do very well because of their movement and conformation. Most actually think Ironman could've been a Gran Prix dressage horse, but I know first hand that he loves to jump way too much. Ironman is by Insuellfuerst who was the European Dressage Champion in 1992 fo 6 year olds. see ironmanonline.com for more information.
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

Quote Originally Posted by Centuree View Post
    Wow, found this youtube video of windfall CB. Very nice guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaO0Lx5Tw0k

Maresnest I would love to see a picture of your filly out of him!
    I need to take some pictures of her! In the meantime, though:

Here she is on a coaster at about 2 months: http://www.cafepress.com/ponypics.53879517

And on a Christmas tree ornament, also at about 2 months:
    http://www.cafepress.com/ponypics.54618621

And you can also see her at Charlotte's website. Go to http://bredahldressage.com/windfall/foals.html and scroll down to Jahzara. I *think* those are 3 month old pictures, but I'm not sure.

She's coming up on 3 years at the end of June, so it's about time to look at her again

Edited to add: Here she is with her mommy at a couple of days old: http://www.cafepress.com/ponypics.53876168 . You'll notice that she was tiny but I think that was the influence of the mare (a 17 year old maiden), not the stallion. And, in either case, she's always been strong and healthy. I'm curious to know how big she's going to end up... Her teeth seem to be about 6 months behind schedule.