The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default youtube

Does anyone know of good videos on youtube that are helpful/clinic/lesson- like??

Not really, most of the ones we see are HORRIBLE. Do you have a trainer? If not I'd suggest getting one. If you can't try just getting videos off of ebay from some top riders that do clinics. Good Luck
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I can't recommend anything off of YouTube, but I came across this site one day and it seemed pretty cool:

http://northamerica.dressageclinic.com/index.php

Of course, it isn't free ($34 +change/month), but I've considered just signing up for a month to test it out and see what I think. You can view sample videos to get an idea of what you'll get for the money, and there are lots of good trainers featured.
    "Promote what you believe instead of bashing what you hate."

Five year olds are fun!

youtube is a great place to view the lunatic fringe of the universe being fully documented in all its multi-colored and self-deluded glory. it's not a good place to try to find free riding lessons. but then nowhere really is.

In youtube.com search on foy peters dressage

There is an entire series from NEDA. Good viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Not really, most of the ones we see are HORRIBLE. Do you have a trainer? If not I'd suggest getting one. If you can't try just getting videos off of ebay from some top riders that do clinics. Good Luck
    YES I do have a trainer, and I am a trainer....just thought I would see if anyone knew of any good viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    youtube is a great place to view the lunatic fringe of the universe being fully documented in all its multi-colored and self-deluded glory. it's not a good place to try to find free riding lessons. but then nowhere really is.
    Certainly not on the internet and message boards...right SLC ?

Your description, it would appear probably extends to posts/threads made by some "self proclaimed experts"......right SLC?

I don't think this is lunatic fringe. You may find the series useful it goes all the way up the levels. Here's the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvWZ8n3vWfk
    Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

There is a wonderful series of videos on youtube, the symposium featuring uber-trainer Hubertus Schmidt and head of the FEI Dressage Committee, Mariette Withages. They work with a variety of horses and deliver comments to both riders and spectators.

I thought it was VERY gracious of the ESDCTA to let the rest of us have this symposium available this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8v0Eh8VeAE

I see eventer13 has already mentioned this series, but it bears identification and repeating, I think.

And there are plenty of others like this...plunk in the name of a trainer you have interest in and see what comes up.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

There is also two good videos of Carl Hester doing a demo/lecture on Dolendo. I'm too lazy to look up the link; just search under Carl Hester.

ok - 99% lunatic fringe then....LOL.

my question is, if much of the stuff on there is very bad, and people billing themselves as experts and telling people to do very dangerous or ineffective or just 'not actually dressage' things, as so often has been complained about here by many posters, how does a beginner tell the hubertus schmidt's from the Vagal Nerve Stimulator Horse Whisperers?

how does a beginner tell the hubertus schmidt's from the Vagal Nerve Stimulator Horse Whisperers?
    or from the Big Talkers who core dump on the discussion boards, complete with fictional self congratulatory anecdotes.

Seriously, some of the advice that is given by self professed experts on the net is indeed scary.

When you have been around the boards for a while you can pick these frauds out by their history but the new people sometimes get sucked in.

I don't know of any that have commentary like a clinic or lesson would, but what I do is search for a big name horse that I like, say "Brentina" or "Matinee" then view the videos of that particular horse. You could also search for higher level riders that you'd like to learn from. You can learn a lot just from watching their rides and their horses. I suppose if you search for "how to ride dressage" you'll get some lunatic fringe videos, but I've found that searching for the big names and their horses yields some very nice videos.

The OP is not a beginner. And one the way a beginner would know the difference is by doing exactly what the OP did -- asking here and getting some very useful input (in addition to some not-so-useful.)
    Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and rapist of children! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

www.nickernetwork.com (or something like this) has a wonderful collection of tons of videos from all equestrian sports. Go to piaffetv channel for the dressage videos. The eventing ones are fun to watch as well.....

Wink This is not an instructional vidieo, but it is one of my favorites.....

if you do a search on Youtube under...
    Audacity, Grand Prix Dressage Morgan Gelding, you may just be inspired.

Cindy Wylie is the rider.

I have recently fallen in love with a Morgan mare, so I find this video esp. wonderful.

If someone would be able to post the video here, that would be great.

Thanks and best wishes from Kansas.
    What's the scoop?