The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Need Hunter/Jumper trainer in Norcal

I need a hunter jumper trainer in Norcal. I am located in Sacramento but I am willing to travel or trailer in for lessons or even meet up at shows. If you know someone who's in the bay area, that's fine too. I need someone who is good with difficult horses and horses who are spooky about jumping scary fences (liverpools, coupes, boxes, gates, walls, etc...). Thanks!

Sacramento has a lot of good and capable trainers, but it will really depend on what kind of personality you get along with.

As far as H/J specific folks, Rudy Leone's solid, but he can be hard for some folks to get along with. Kelly Van Vleck is out at Rancho Murieta and has always been very nice in my experience.

If you aren't opposed to working with an event trainer, there is also Lynae Zungia - she has a smaller facility and I believe most of her clients are haul-ins, so there's not a whole lot of "haul-in vs boarder" drama that you get in some of the H/J barns.

Also, there's a show at Rancho Murieta tomorrow (the 29th) and that'd be a great time to check out some local trainers in action.

Quote Originally Posted by ef80 View Post
    Sacramento has a lot of good and capable trainers, but it will really depend on what kind of personality you get along with.

As far as H/J specific folks, Rudy Leone's solid, but he can be hard for some folks to get along with. Kelly Van Vleck is out at Rancho Murieta and has always been very nice in my experience.

If you aren't opposed to working with an event trainer, there is also Lynae Zungia - she has a smaller facility and I believe most of her clients are haul-ins, so there's not a whole lot of "haul-in vs boarder" drama that you get in some of the H/J barns.

Also, there's a show at Rancho Murieta tomorrow (the 29th) and that'd be a great time to check out some local trainers in action.
    I believe to train with Kelly you have to board there...I could be wrong. It might be the same at Rudy's. My horse used to be at Rudy's actually and she did okay but I really need someone who is good with spooky horses or willing to work on difficult horses.

No I am not opposed to an event trainer at all. How would I get ahold of Lynae?

I don't know how far they are from Sacramento but Buddy and Vanessa Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    I don't know how far they are from Sacramento but Buddy and Vanessa Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore would be my choice.
    I was actually thinking of them or Duncan Mcfarlane! Do you think buddy and Vanessa would let me trailer in?

Also are they good with spooky horses?

Anyone have any other suggestions? I really just need someone who is good with spooky horses and is willing to work with them. I want to keep all options open in case something doesn't work out.

chalkhorse farm Guest

Carol Wright at Melodic Farms is excellent in all those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPie730 View Post
    I was actually thinking of them or Duncan Mcfarlane! Do you think buddy and Vanessa would let me trailer in?
    I don't know if Gry & Duncan take trailer in clients--and the last time I checked (last fall) they had a waiting list yeah long for their program...but call them anyway, what's the worst they could say?

Worth a shot...

As to Rudy--he's very good with particular personalities (who isn't, really?).
    I think he has had some very vocal disgruntled clients in the past--but, so what, that's their experience! Worth a call as well...

http://www.sahja.org/ might help you find some more names in that area.

I'm fairly sure that the Gold n Grand show is a western QH show--that's the Murieta show someone else mentioned that's coming up this weekend.

Pickwick Classic at Brookside is coming up April 9-13; many of the bigger local trainers will be at that show (as it's an A show and a Spruce Qualifier). Unless you don't want the A show trainer, in which case, go to the next B show--I think that'd be at Starr Vaughn April 17-20 (though there are plenty of A level trainer barns that go to the B shows, too!).

Good luck. If you are motivated enough, I can't see you having much trouble finding a great trainer in the Sacto area!

Quote Originally Posted by quiet5 View Post
    I don't know if Gry & Duncan take trailer in clients--and the last time I checked (last fall) they had a waiting list yeah long for their program...but call them anyway, what's the worst they could say?

Worth a shot...

As to Rudy--he's very good with particular personalities (who isn't, really?).
    I think he has had some very vocal disgruntled clients in the past--but, so what, that's their experience! Worth a call as well...

http://www.sahja.org/ might help you find some more names in that area.

I'm fairly sure that the Gold n Grand show is a western QH show--that's the Murieta show someone else mentioned that's coming up this weekend.

Pickwick Classic at Brookside is coming up April 9-13; many of the bigger local trainers will be at that show (as it's an A show and a Spruce Qualifier). Unless you don't want the A show trainer, in which case, go to the next B show--I think that'd be at Starr Vaughn April 17-20 (though there are plenty of A level trainer barns that go to the B shows, too!).

Good luck. If you are motivated enough, I can't see you having much trouble finding a great trainer in the Sacto area!
    Yeah I used to be at Rudy's. Do you think he lets ppl trailer in? I remember being at shows where ppl would meet up with him.

Is buddy brown good with difficult horses?

I am familiar with a lot of the names. I just need to know who is good/willing to work with a difficult horse and who would let me trailer in. I finally found a place that she is super happy at and calm so I don't want to move her.

Yeah I used to be at Rudy's. Do you think he lets ppl trailer in? I remember being at shows where ppl would meet up with him.

Is buddy brown good with difficult horses?

I am familiar with a lot of the names. I just need to know who is good/willing to work with a difficult horse and who would let me trailer in. I finally found a place that she is super happy at and calm so I don't want to move her.

Sure--It's not whether these people are good with difficult horses, it's whether they'd be willing to help you with your difficult horse--And I can't answer that--only they can. Call them up!

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

I need a hunter jumper trainer in Norcal. I am located in Sacramento but I am willing to travel or trailer in for lessons or even meet up at shows. If you know someone who's in the bay area, that's fine too. I need someone who is good with difficult horses and horses who are spooky about jumping scary fences (liverpools, coupes, boxes, gates, walls, etc...). Thanks!
    Perhaps Lisa Quintero at Leap of Faith in Walnut Creek? I don't know her personally but I will be at Leap of Faith on Tues. I have seen her ride but am not sure about the staff she employs. I really do like Buddy Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore, that's further than Walnut Creek. I used to know him from years and years ago, he was pretty good with any 4 legged creature as I recall. They have a website; just google Derby Hill and you would see it.
    Bethe in Texas

Heather Whitney Lumley.

Horsezee

Quote Originally Posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
    Perhaps Lisa Quintero at Leap of Faith in Walnut Creek? I don't know her personally but I will be at Leap of Faith on Tues. I have seen her ride but am not sure about the staff she employs. I really do like Buddy Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore, that's further than Walnut Creek. I used to know him from years and years ago, he was pretty good with any 4 legged creature as I recall. They have a website; just google Derby Hill and you would see it.
    Bethe in Texas
    Does buddy allow people to trailer in? I have heard of Lise, does she have a website?

You could try Jan Haize in Davis. Or Holly Fox (event trainer who manages UC Davis Equestrian center). My trainer might be helpful too. Who I who recommend really depends on what you need and why your horse is spooky. There is a big difference between a horse that is spooky because it's sensitive and one that is spooky because it's naughty.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    You could try Jan Haize in Davis. Or Holly Fox (event trainer who manages UC Davis Equestrian center). My trainer might be helpful too. Who I who recommend really depends on what you need and why your horse is spooky. There is a big difference between a horse that is spooky because it's sensitive and one that is spooky because it's naughty.
    My horse is really backed off at fences we've literally never jumped. We went down to the oaks and showpark and it was a nightmare. You can't school on the grass the day before, you have to school in a sand arena, so we never got a chance to see the fences or jump them. Luckily we did okay. Other rated shows we did fine at b/c we were able to school in the arena the day before classes started.

Also we moved up way too quickly. I think my horse really needs confidence and someone who is good with horses who get backed off and are super careful over fences they haven't seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkhorse farm View Post
    Carol Wright at Melodic Farms is excellent in all those areas.
    Is carol good with spooky horses? Does she accept trailer in clients?

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Does buddy allow people to trailer in? I have heard of Lise, does she have a website?

Yes, she has a website, just go to http://www.leapoffaithfarms.com and look under their training section and there is a website for her.

I would think, but have no clue, that Derby Hill probably allows folks to trailer in, however, I do believe, if you look at their website, they prefer folks keep their horses at their farm with a fairly intense training program. They seem to be more of a training facility with quite a few clients who keep their horses there--they show alot too. I would call them, however, if, and that's a HUGE if, I have time, I will see what I can do about visiting their place in Livermore on Tues after Leap of Faith. I will call/email them today and see about it. I have always liked Buddy Brown's way of riding/teaching/training. It's been a LONG time since I have seen him too! :-)
    Bethe in Texas

Also are they good with spooky horses?
    Yes on the shipping in. They had people come in for lessons when I was up visiting them. They are both great with spooky horses. Buddy grew up riding TB's...you really can't beat the expierience Buddy has. And they are both exceptional horseman, and super nice people also.

Does anyone know if Jill Monroe at Rudy's trains outside riders? She might be a good choice.

I would deffinately give Buddy a call..I"ve also known Buddy for years. Buddy's the type that will try and help anyone he can. I can't recommend him enough. It's amazing to sit and watch him ride and teach.