The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile AWESOME ride today! How about you?

It was pretty nice out here today. Around 40F, a little breeze, very sunny (that was the best part!) The horses were all being silly, and rarin to go. I decided to ride outside on the gravel driveway because the sun was just too nice to stay inside!

I put on maresie's new hoof boots (Easyboots), and we set out in my AP english saddle and her mech hack. We walked around for awhile, then did some trots. She was VERY forward, really excited and happy to just move out and GO! She really has an awesome trot, she keeps the head nice and low and just cruises over the ground at like 90mph.

One trot we were doing she was moving so fast I could tell she was considering a canter, so I decided to go with it, and gave her a little squeeze and a cluck with my tongue. Hopped into the canter like it was no big thing, and went cantering lightly down the aisle. Head up at a natural level, ears perked, happy thing! I had trouble pulling her up, she just wanted to keep going forever! We did a few more canters, one over a fun little slope that she kept her balance on BEAUTIFULLY. The last canter we did, she was REALLY MOVIN! If I had been brave enough, I could've gotten up into a two-point and really let 'er rip. But I played it safe.

She was a perfect girl, and we cooled out doing nice slow western jogs with only me lifting the reins to let her know I wanted a jog now, not a trot. She obliged without a blink. Then we walked for a bit, and that was it! Awesome ride. Oh, and the hoof boots (they're new) did beautifully. Stayed on perfect, even through the quicker canters.

Anyone else have a specially good ride lately? Do tell!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Glad you had a good ride. I was supposed to go tomorrow, but there's snow/rain in the forecast, so it'll have to wait for better weather. I have a new gelding, and don't really want to take him out for the first real trail ride in crummy weather.

I'm envious that you got out, though. Sounds wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Glad you had a good ride. I was supposed to go tomorrow, but there's snow/rain in the forecast, so it'll have to wait for better weather. I have a new gelding, and don't really want to take him out for the first real trail ride in crummy weather.

I'm envious that you got out, though. Sounds wonderful.
    There's quite a bit of rain coming up in the forecast for me, so I'm trying to get in every ride I can before the monsoon season starts here in IL..

Almost...almost went out to ride in the snow but chickened out. Actually my horse threw me a look like 'you can go out there if you want to, but I'm not coming with you'

Rode indoors but had a great ride.

More snow in the forecast but I think they said Sunday should be nice so I'm hoping to hit the trails then as I'm desperate to get out and about
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Yay for good rides!

I had a nice trail ride on Wednesday - took Paddy out for a trot up a long hill and a nice meander through the woods. I can't wait until summer - trails, trails, trails galore!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Default We had a wonderful ride, too!

Four of us met up at the Lake Monroe Conservation Area and what a gorgeous day. We even commented on how lucky we are!

It was a perfect 75 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze to keep us cool. We took the trail out to the St. John's River, saw a couple of guys fishing, but no gators today! But we did see a racoon, 2 Sand Hill cranes and a small herd of deer.

Ironic isn't it....you northerners are gearing up for summer riding, and us Floridians are savoring every day we've got left before the dreaded summer season sets in and it's too hot to ride. If only I was rich, I'd live down here all year except for the summers...I'd find somewhere cool so I could ride year-round.
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

I really wish I could say I had an awesome ride today. It sure was gorgeous enough. But today was the day my Haflinger got his front shoes pulled and got a barefoot trim so I didn't ride.

Had a wonderful ride yesterday though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellye View Post
    Four of us met up at the Lake Monroe Conservation Area and what a gorgeous day. We even commented on how lucky we are!

It was a perfect 75 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze to keep us cool. We took the trail out to the St. John's River, saw a couple of guys fishing, but no gators today! But we did see a racoon, 2 Sand Hill cranes and a small herd of deer.

Ironic isn't it....you northerners are gearing up for summer riding, and us Floridians are savoring every day we've got left before the dreaded summer season sets in and it's too hot to ride. If only I was rich, I'd live down here all year except for the summers...I'd find somewhere cool so I could ride year-round.
    Sounds amazing! I bet 40F would be really dang cold for Floridians.

It's about 10 degrees out this morning but the sun is very powerful and it feels warmer. I run snowmobile trails and after a cold night like this the trails are fantastic. It is a super highway running hundreds of miles over the frozen snow. I put on about 45 miles last weekend running the snow and never broke through once. I intend to run about 9 this morning. I hope the snow stays hard enough to support us.
    With the sun so powerful you need a good pair of sun glasses but for gloves bare fingers are fine and a baseball cap works too.
    It is hard to believe how cold the temperature gage says it is and at the same time you feel the heat on your head.
    'My horse is shaved for outdoor running so he runs cool most of the time even while travelling at an easy lope for a couple of hours.
    So I am HOPING For a great ride today.
    Have a good day

Sounds from a lot of your weather postings I have NO reason NOT to have had a good ride yesterday!

Which I did. Here, in my part of VA yesterday it was 'spooky warm'...as in...almost in the 80s, and cold front coming in ---- (We're normal for 50s-60s during the days right now) dropping back to 30s last night.

so, big winds up, horses goosey, but still good weather to ride in.

BO and I rode out (me on my arab, her on her less often used QH) and had a great ride down/up wooded trails, across powerlines, cross roads, around farm ponds, etc.... Funniest part of the ride was the moment my boy spooked at a side swiping BUTTERFLY that came into his side view very quickly----whoa! butt tucked power rocket boost ---- QH never looking back to investigate spooked simultaneously...as if "Ok, buddy...I don't see it, but it MUST be dangerous!-------- I think they were both embarrased as we laughed at them)

At one point, we rode in her front field, where horses are soon to be switched to for the summer.....and where their 'water source' will be the farm pond. hmmmm...my horse has never had a pond for water before...so we rode up to pond to see if he'd even take a sip. (On all trails to date, even with a friend of his who drinks at each crossing available, he's never taken a sip)....but uh...boy did he prove me wrong. Maybe it was the abnormal temps, but he guzzled!) ....so, no real worries there, just worries if he becomes a 'frequent bather' in the pond. (yuk.)

Ah, well...a fun ride, and a great day.
    Goin' back for one today, too.

ayrabz
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I'm so jealous of you southerners with your nice temperatures. (: Today we were ranging between 15-33, but the sun was shining and my friend and I went for a great little trail ride in the deep snow. To get to the trails we have to cross the creek in a section that's always iffy, because it's okay if it's frozen solid and it's okay if it's broken through, but right now it's in-between, so it's creaking and groaning underneath the horses. Sam and I led the way through the first time, where there was a deep hole in the ice that we had to step down into and then plunge back up out of. He jumped right down, but like the doofus he is, wanted to stand all day in it and play. Took forever to get him out of it! But the rest of the trail ride was gorgeous--beautiful white pristine snow on the trees and the ground. Lots of creek crossings, and Sam just wanted to stop and play. At least it got most of the belly-deep encrusted mud off of him! Man, I can't wait until summer...

So glad to hear of everyone's great rides! Spring is coming girls, really it is. Right??

Today our search and rescue group had their spring '08 certification work day so I got my horse re-certified for this year. It was wonderful. Lots of great people and good tests for the horses. We had a squad car driving amongst the horses with lights and sirens going, and a calvary rider shooting off a gun in the woods right next to our horses. This group is well organized and really challenges the horses. It was a great day and now I'm exhausted. A shower and a nap is sounding great!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    ...spooked at a side swiping BUTTERFLY that came into his side view very quickly----whoa! butt tucked power rocket boost...
    Heehee...don't you love those "OMG, WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?! Oh...NEVER MIND...it was just a butterfly...oops!" moments?

Look on the bright side--at least you didn't hit the dirt and end up with bluestone in your underwear like I did a few weeks ago when the up-until-then unflappable younger brother of Mr. Zorro did the infamous Arabian butt-tuck at the exact moment when I was suspended between the mounting block and the left stirrup!

Still have NO idea what caused it...oh well, I'm sure that there will be more where that one came from.

And what's up with it being almost 80 degrees here on the days that I have to work, so that I end up riding while it's SLEETING on the weekends, like today?
    Jennifer Thomas Alcott
    Woodville, Virginia
    http://www.theshingleshanty.com

Usually I work 6am-2pm so I spend the rest of the afternoon and evening at the barn after work. Since we have a base excercise going on (I'm Air Force) my schedule has changed just for two weeks and I'm working 10am-7pm. I haven't been able to ride like I regularly do for the past week so this morning I got up at 5am and went to the barn. I would say it was in the low 70's and it was perfect! Klein and I had a really nice, productive morning workout in the gorgeous Hawaiian sunrise. It was awesome and I'm gonna do it again tomorrow morning Only have to put up with this crappy schedule for another week then we can go back to our regularly scheduled program

I went with a local group of trail riders/show folks and had a ball. I rode a TWH gelding and talk about smmmmmoooooothhh..lol. I normally ride trotting horses, but my back has been giving me fits lately so a friend offered the loan of her gelding. I loff that boy, never took a spooky step but did get jealous of another gelding! funny boys they are.

Weather was perfect, started out overcast but temps in the 60's and climbed later in the day up to the 70's and at one point we commented that it felt like close to 80 out. Not a lot of wind and the ground wasn't dried out and parched but not icky muddy either, just a perfect day for the first group ride of the season.

The place we rode at was in Alabama and had FANTASTIC facilities. Camping, picket lines, lakes, creeks, lots of trails and plenty of room (1300 acres total). Makes for a nice time when people aren't "stepping all over" each other. Family type atmosphere, bathhouse and you can fish if you choose in one of the many stocked ponds. Pavillion for those great barbeque dinners too. We grilled, and I brought a baked ham and we ate like pigs - lol..

very good time had by everyone, now I can't wait to go again!!

Hawaii !!! Ok, YOU win the great weather, drooling after location.
    Its fun to read of everyone's excursions.

Well, I did get to ride out again on Sat.....My guy wasn't all too happy to see me coming in the pasture! ---but we had a meeting of the minds, and I did end up the winner.

BO and I rode out again, and went much farther than before. At one point about 2 hrs. in, she suggested we try to loop back via the woods, and she'd look for the seldom used trail to do so---well...spring growth had kept that spot from our vision, so we just headed on back on route. This trip being further took us around fresh planted fields and down some beautiful farm roads.

Some of the hills on the light line sure were great for conditioning, but left me wishing for a crupper on the downhill side and a breastplate on the inclines! whew! but another beautiful day out in the springtime!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett