The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Purina's NEW FEED! "Wellsolve" Finally a solution for those "special needs" horses!

Went to a seminar today about a new product line up from Purina feeds! they have developed a low starch low sugar diet and a weight control diet! one that actually works!!!! I see it being a BIG hit for those very very easy keepers who get fat at breathing in feed lol.. and then finally a feed for laminitic horses or those with cushings ect! yaaaaa lol...

oh and not to mention all the research behind them! wow they put a lot of work into making a great feed!

anyway's here the link to the products!

http://www.wellsolveequine.com/
    Last edited by RoseBud143; Mar. 28, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

If you have an overweight horse, why feed it anything out of a bag? Does it have fewer calories than hay?
    Visit my barefoot blog:
    http://barefoothoofcare.wordpress.com/
    "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast" ~ Beastie Boys

Lookout, I agree that an overweight horse doesn't need "grain", but it may be that these products are suitable for the metabolic horse who needs several pounds of concentrated calories to maintain weight. For example, many IR horses present as "fat", but once you get the IR managed, more than a few of them (horses, I won't speak for ponies ) end up being fairly harder keepers than they were - their real metabolism shows up. And, even some IR horses are already hard(er) keepers, though thankfully it seems that a good bit of them show their real metabolism once the IR is managed and become easier keepers.

I looked at these products, and need someone to explain exactly what they mean by
    We guarantee the level of soluble carbohydrates on WellSolve L/S to be less than 11 percent
    what exactly do they, or could they, mean by "soluble carbs"? Is that just one component of NSC?

And once again, no real valuable information on their website - no ingredients, no guaranteed analysis.

No thanks. One, it's Purina, and two, for *me* there are better options if I were in that situation.

Default I just dont get this.

Why would anyone pay $20 + a bag for beet pulp,soy hulls plus minerals and vitamins.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Purina is the OLNY product that actully has all the guaranteed EVERYTHING right on the bag.

The w/c formula is for those onwers that feel bad about only giving there horses a small amount this feed lets the owners give there horses a full scoop of feed and leaves the horses feeling satisfied.

Also purina is the only feed company that test ALL their products and put time and effort into the research to make sure that have a great feed b4 they put it on the market!.. and have an amazing facility

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBud143 View Post
    Purina is the OLNY product that actully has all the guaranteed EVERYTHING right on the bag.
    Are you sure about that?

The w/c formula is for those onwers that feel bad about only giving there horses a small amount this feed lets the owners give there horses a full scoop of feed and leaves the horses feeling satisfied.
    I don't doubt it for an instant It's marketing. The same thing could be accomplished with a few cups of alfalfa pellets or beet pulp. Since I couldn't find it, do you know the caloric content of this, and how much is minimally required to get the benefits of the added nutrition?

Also purina is the only feed company that test ALL their products and put time and effort into the research to make sure that have a great feed b4 they put it on the market!.. and have an amazing facility
    Again, are you sure about that?

So you consider Horse Chow a great feed? If so, could you explain why?

I am not saying that there are not good Purina products. I am not saying that Purina is the only one with products that are sub-standard as far as quality.

You must be joking?

I'm always glad to see companies producing new feeds for special needs horses. We have a horse who has severe heaves that is triggered by hay and mold. He also has a history of laminitis, and has Cushing's. Sometimes, it is hard to keep weight on him without giving him hay or grain or too much grass. Fortunately, he is currently "vacationing" in a friend's field, with a spacious run in shed and a well ventilated shed row style barn. More feed choices from companies like Purina that do a lot of testing means more choices for horses like our guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Lookout, I agree that an overweight horse doesn't need "grain", but it may be that these products are suitable for the metabolic horse who needs several pounds of concentrated calories to maintain weight. For example, many IR horses present as "fat", but once you get the IR managed, more than a few of them (horses, I won't speak for ponies ) end up being fairly harder keepers than they were - their real metabolism shows up. And, even some IR horses are already hard(er) keepers, though thankfully it seems that a good bit of them show their real metabolism once the IR is managed and become easier keepers.
    Yes, I can see how the low starch one could be handy for that, but the weight loss one? Who needs that? What for?

And once again, no real valuable information on their website - no ingredients, no guaranteed analysis.
    As usual .
    Visit my barefoot blog:
    "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast" ~ Beastie Boys

Oooooh, so it's designed for owners, not horses. The ones who think love comes out of a grain bag.
    Last edited by Lookout; Mar. 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Visit my barefoot blog:

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

RoseBud143, what's the NSC value of these "new" feeds??? When I have a horse that is in a compromised metabolic state that's the kind of information I'm looking for.

Although I like Purina's straight grains I have a low opinion of some of their other feeds, especially their Purina Senior. I'm having a very hard time getting excited by these new feeds.... Purina is coming very late to the dance--most other feed companies have addressed these "feed" problems years ago.
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Purina is coming very late to the dance--most other feed companies have addressed these "feed" problems years ago.
    LOL, did you read the product information? They claimed they could have come to the market years ago with lower sugar feeds, but wanted to spend the time doing research on exactly what these horses needed

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    LOL, did you read the product information? They claimed they could have come to the market years ago with lower sugar feeds, but wanted to spend the time doing research on exactly what these horses needed
    Does anyone else make a 'low cal' feed?
    Visit my barefoot blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Lookout View Post
    Does anyone else make a 'low cal' feed?
    Yep. Triple Crown Lite is one. Progressive makes a "Lo Carb Formula" feed. I am 90% sure that at least a few other companies, like Nutrena and Buckeye, make one as well.

I dont have my notes with me from today i want to say the W/C is 800 cal. compared to other 1300 cal and your able to feed double to amount to satisfy your horse.

The L/S they showed clinical trials of horses showing lower inilin response to sug and carbs then compared to others. this is also the only feed on the market that actually HAS the S and S on the bag and that is also a VET recommended diet. and yes I am sure about this.

It still hasnt been nationally released yet so they trying to keep some things under wraps. There is an article in the equine vet journal or what ever about this new product and the benefits. and this is the only one this advanced on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookout View Post
    If you have an overweight horse, why feed it anything out of a bag? Does it have fewer calories than hay?
    In these types cases, I believe ration balancer pellets (low NSC ones) are called for to ensure the horse gets what it needs as far as vitamins and minerals.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

I dont have my notes with me from today i want to say the W/C is 800 cal. compared to other 1300 cal and your able to feed double to amount to satisfy your horse.
    800 cal is a pretty good drop. But, I'm still quite interested in the minimum that has to be fed in order to take full advantage of the nutritional value.

The L/S they showed clinical trials of horses showing lower inilin response to sug and carbs then compared to others.
    What others? LOTS of horses show marked drops in insulin levels simply by soaking hay. Or by replacing a sweet feed with, for example, soaked beet pulp.

this is also the only feed on the market that actually HAS the S and S on the bag and that is also a VET recommended diet. and yes I am sure about this.
    what is "S and S"? There are LOTS of "vet recommended" diets - doesn't mean much to me given how much many vets don't know about nutrition.

It still hasnt been nationally released yet so they trying to keep some things under wraps. There is an article in the equine vet journal or what ever about this new product and the benefits. and this is the only one this advanced on the market.
    How is "this advanced" defined?"

I assume S & S is starch and sugar?

Ditto on the Vet Recommended statement too, I much prefer the recommendations of my Equine Nutritionist!

Does Purina use fixed formulas for their feeds?

Purina has finally recognized where the market (and science) is headed. But they are not the first.

KER's ReLeve has been filling this niche for several years now, with its original high fat/low starch formula.

ReLeve has been available in "easy keeper" concentrate for nearly two years.

As for any feed being good for "owners who feel bad only feeding a little," that's pretty silly.

A "lite" feed meant for easy keepers will simply guarantee that the proper vitamin/mineral intake is sufficient for horses that aren't getting enough of the higher calorie feed to insure recommended amounts of these nutrients.

Any specialty feed will cost more than feed that is consumed by a wider variety of horses. For the horses that need it, it's a worthwhile and necessary expense.

Default company feeds

I usd to be a feed dealer and what I learned as a rep is that the first ingredient listed on the bag tag is 60% of the contents of the bag, and there are a lot of fillers and non horse related products in mixtures by the cheaper the mixed bag cost. Personally I switched to having my own feed made when I got a barn of more than 20 horses, and now with less I would still buy my own whole grains because a whole grain is fresh and alive, if you plant it it will grow, it is not dead and losing nutrients, then I add ration balancer to it and or BOSS or beet pulp or alafalfa pellets and so on. I had great luck getting whole oats in New York from the farmer that were big and fat and 45 pounds per bushel and I got them at half the cost of feed store as they were not priced up. YOu cannot feed fresh whole oats they have to sit alittle while or your horse can get protein bumps but other than that they are the best feed ever as they have the hulls for fiber and they are naturally 5% fat they form a loose mass in the horses stomach and do not cause colic, my horses did not get hot on them, the young horses got hotter on alfalfa pellets than oats. I had a corn and roasted soybean mix made to cut in half with mine. You can only get roasted soybeans up North and the smell of them makes the horses go insane they love them, down South would use BOSS instead due to the heat and fact they would mold too easily with mollassas on them, horses also love the taste of BOSS, in my mixture the only thing special I researched and did was add enough diamond v yeast culture that each horse got 1500iu of vita E which prevents OCD and other problems and provides excellent growth, I did have a standard vita mineral mix added. but I top dressed each ration to each horse with select vitamins and blue seal minerals to make sure they got enough as I feel you cannot feed enough grain to get all the daily vita mineral in a horse OR especially a pony who only gets say half a scoop of grain
    I wish I still had the formula to share alas I lost all my horse books moving and used Kentucky Equine research and a wonderful book I cannot find from Australia to come up with the mixture, I learned to feed BOSS from the Aussie book way back in early 1980 and feed stores looked at me like was insane. However, I saw a major difference when switching my horses to whole grains in their performance attitude and coat condition. If I had a horse that could not chew properly I would mix his with a little bran and let it steam and the oats would steam open in 20 minutes and that solved that problem, in a stable of about 50 horses I only had one or two who could not eat oats and had to have pellets instead, but all pellets are just ground up oats and corn, you have to use something else entirely and are just fooling yourself if you say my horse cannot eat sweet feed it makes him hot so I feed him pellets, Tiz Whiz pellets put weigh on a horse so fast because they are 60% ground corn.