The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Lawsuit against eventing??

Just came across this at http://eventing.zzn.com/:

"We have been notified that a major lawsuit is underway. if you and/or your horse has been hurt in Eventing send your name, phone number and a brief description to webmaster@eventing.zzn.com Our goal is to get the facts on numbers of injuries out... we will not list your name if you request us not to."

I have no idea who's website this is or any other details. I wonder if it is part of the reason why USEA is worried...

How on earth do you sue a sport??

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    How on earth do you sue a sport??
    by going after specific organizers and such other folks and entities....never underestimate the slime of an ambulance chaser
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Is there a way of finding out who these people are and not accepting their entries?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

If for nothing else than looking at eventing thru another perspective, visit the website...I think the discussions here on the COTH BB, and surely elsewhere are moving US Eventing out of the fog. Websites like this are a constant reminder - don't get complacent!

I realized as I was reading the website articles/posts, I had never pictured the "other side" in terms of people who had minds and reasoned opposition to our sport. We're at the place where the great feelings of "they're listening to us" wear off and the realization that a lot of thinking, discussion, reasoning, discussion, reflection - and honesty about what we're doing as humans with horses - live, feeling creatures (meaning they feel pain when injured or sore from work) who trust us...is left to do - always.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

If this is indeed legit than I am very saddened.

I will have to say that I am not all together shocked as I was talking to a friend who knows very little of the sport and one of the first things he said is "maybe so and so should instigate a suit"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

This shouldn't be hard to figure out.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

sorry to say it folks, but maybe this is what is needed to make the powers that be listen up. Again, i have no idea who's website this is

I think a lawsuit is a terrible way of trying to address these issues. What exactly would you sue USEA over? Suing individual organizers or course owners is only going to hurt the sport - after all, most events are run by volunteers on the good graces of the land owners.

If you want to talk about rider responsibility, here's some: this is a risky, dangerous sport. While there are some issues facing the sport, if you are not comfortable with some of the possible outcomes, take up Tiddly-Winks. I think the only danger there is boredom.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I guess this would be a sort of class action lawsuit or something.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

An ambulance chaser lawyer needs a client before suing. The blame should not just be on the lawyers.

"We have been notified that a major lawsuit is underway".

Who the heck is "we"? I hate it when websites or people refer to themselves as the "royal we" anyway, but this line, coupled with a request to "send your name, number and a brief description" to God knows who strikes me as just bizarre. I can't feel the pulse of this site at all, no pun intended. I get the sense there's an enormous agenda somewhere, but can't put my finger on it.
    Click here before you buy.

Darren's brother is one of the most successful "sue 'em up" attorneys in the Buffalo area, Chiacchia and Fleming, very successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomoreusernames View Post
    Darren's brother is one of the most successful "sue 'em up" attorneys in the Buffalo area, Chiacchia and Fleming, very successful.
    Darren would never be behind the suing of eventing. He knows accidents happen. He's been there, done that, plus he has many friends in all aspects of the sport. He wouldn't back it.
    Last edited by Jazzy Lady; Mar. 28, 2008 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Darren would never be behind the suing of eventing. He knows shit happens. He's been there, done that, plus he has many friends in all aspects of the sport. He wouldn't back it.
    You have class, JL - thanks for stepping up. Darren is not going to be available for reference in anything but the most positive of terms. Thanks for taking this stance ASAP.
    Last edited by RunForIt; Mar. 28, 2008 at 08:26 PM.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by brindille View Post
    sorry to say it folks, but maybe this is what is needed to make the powers that be listen up. Again, i have no idea who's website this is
    A lawsuit is almost never a good way of remedying problems in an organization or sport or program- I have seen it over and over again simply destroy the subject of the lawsuit even if that not the intent.
    That being said, I would not accept some random statement from a website no one is familiar with making vague allusions to a lawsuit and supposedly soliciting additional plaintiffs as any actual proof that such a lawsuit is a reality.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    A lawsuit is almost never a good way of remedying problems in an organization or sport or program- I have seen it over and over again simply destroy the subject of the lawsuit even if that not the intent.
    That being said, I would not accept some random statement from a website no one is familiar with making vague allusions to a lawsuit and supposedly soliciting additional plaintiffs as any actual proof that such a lawsuit is a reality.
    I don't think its reality - yet. This IS reality: give the ambulance chasers fodder and they will eat. Watch your television for the ads.

oooooh, that just burns my toast. I really, really, really hate the I'm gonna sue attitude that has taken over the world. It's disgusting, really.

yes and no runforit- just as such a lawsuit would be expensive for the USEA or whoever the named defendant(s) is to defend, it will also be very expensive for the plaintiff(s) to litigate- this kind of case is not a good roll of the dice for a contingency lawyer IMO but then again a lawyer who is not educated about the sport may think at first look it is
    I do think a lawsuit should be a concern but frankly, this website is not causing me any particular concern- but maybe I am wrong
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

The website is rather unpolished (suggests a poorly-educated lawyer!) and looks like a rant to me. Because it is in the www.zzn.com network, it isn't possible to trace the owner (at least with my rudimentary computer skills).

ETA: I bet COTH might not be thrilled with the wholesale copy-and-paste of a website survey result from last July.

Also, the website seems to have some connection with:

Charlotte Cullen

BSc Student, Sport Sciences

School of Sport Science and Education

Brunel University

Uxbridge, Mddx.UB8 3PH, UK

She is apparently doing a study on the "Emotional Response of Event Riders to Injury."