The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IBC Classes at Breed Shows

Just curious how many people show in the IBC class at a dressage breed show if it is offered? Do you do both the USDF age appropriate class and then also the IBC or just the USDF class? Trying to get a feel for whether to add IBC to our dressage show on breed day. TIA.

Most shows offer both the USDF age Open Class and an All Age IBC for each major association. Often these are sponsored by the Associations or local members.

Some shows have the USDF class and a "make your own IBC" so if there are not enough entries for each Association IBC, then you at least get the score and the seocnd chance to get your horse in the ring while at the show. I do not know how management handles this though.

Many shows now offer the Born In the USA high score awards as well.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

I don't have many breed shows under my belt, but I am definitely interested in both the USDF age-specific class and the IBC. Typically enter both.

Once you have cleaned them up, trailered them over and shelled out for the rest of the fees - what's one more class? I usually show in both the age appropriate and the IBC - if there is one. Sometimes the amateur handler as well, just for the practice. Both the USDF age specific and the IBC should count towards All-breeds, if that is something you participate in.

I have heard that many breeders like to get the babies in the ring again for IBC just for experience. I was told though, that the IBC did not count to USDF all breed. Anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    I have heard that many breeders like to get the babies in the ring again for IBC just for experience. I was told though, that the IBC did not count to USDF all breed. Anyone know for sure?
    You are correct, IBC does NOT count in year end, only the open age group classes count.

I prefer to show in the open classes (why not compete for year end awards, it costs the same as the IBC) and will often do the IBC too at a show. But if I had a choice on only 1 classe, it would be open.

I also do both. I show in the PHR class if offered, as my horses are registered in PHR and their awards program for year end awards.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

re: all-breeds

Then I am confused, because this is what it says on USDF website under all-breeds for eligible recorded scores:

"Scores must be from open in-hand, USDFBC in-hand classes, and applicable breed-only and individual breed classes (IBC’s). Therefore, scores from other championship, amateur or junior handler, group, or under saddle classes will not be considered"

I emailed USDF, will post response when I get it.

USDF Response -

IBC scores DO count for All-Breeds. They do NOT count for Horse of the Year.

USDF Directory, specifically "Recorded Scores" on pp. 41-42 has all the info.
    Last edited by titan; Mar. 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: more

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant that USDF Open year end awards only use the open classes in their calculations. All-breed is completely different. I would rather compete in the open classes still if only 1 is offerred (vs IBC)