The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I geld him or not ?

I am posting here to have your advice.

I have a 11 months old colt. It is sure that he will be gelded, but my question is when should I do it.

I first planned to geld him next month (1 y.o.) if the weather is mild. He is super kind and easy, no stallion (bad) habits. Should I let him whole untill he gets uneasy to manage as a stallion or should I geld him ASAP ? If I chose to let him whole, the next time I can plan to geld him will be in october because here in Quebec, we have to much flys to risk the operation during summer time.

He is actually living outside 24/7 with a 15 months old colt. The owner of the colt will take him in the barn in 4 to 5 weeks and put a 7 months old colt with my colt. Will my colt be too dangerous if he gets too much stallion attitude for a small QH colt ?

Geld him now. I would not wait until he's "uneasy to manage". Why even let him get to that point? It is also much easier on them the younger they are. I'd put a call into the vet & get it over & done with, especially since you have no plans to leave him entire anyhow.

If you're going to geld him anyway, why on earth would you wait. They can change in a heartbeat.

Ditto on what the others said - have the Vet out now as the weather is improving and you won't regret it. Waiting until he realizes he's a colt makes no sense.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Yep, do it now, before the hormones take over. Even the mild-mannered ones can have dangerous moments if their hormones get in the way.

Yes geld now. Years ago, I had a sweet 11 month old colt. You could even give him shots without a halter. One day he was a baby and I put him out and by that night he was trying to breed mares. It took a week to get the vet out to geld him and he spent the entire time walking on his hind legs. He was horrible to handle. I had to put up with attitude for several weeks after as it takes awhile for the hormones to go away. It is just not worth the risk of injury to yourself or your boy. They truely can change in a second, especially when the mares start to come in season.

Thanks everyone.

I called the vet to schedule de surgery.

He will be gelded by the end of april.

Wow! I thought you'd say the Vet will be out next week!
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I remember the three days that Dinky knew he was a "stallion". He bit me, my farrier and the vet when she came to geld him.

I cannot imagine if I'd have had to wait three more days, I might have cut them off myself!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I recently gelded my beautiful colt. I hated to do it, but don't need another stallion.

A breeder told me about gelding according to the moon signs. I thought it was silly, but it is in the Thoroughbred Times and Farmers Almanac. They publish a monthly chart so you can determine what day to geld. I was told bleeding would be less and healing faster if you do it when the moon sign is in the feet. My colt hardly bled at all and healed very quickly. Most vets will know exactly what you're talking about if you tell them you want to geld when the moon is right.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Do it before the flies come. I wouldn't wait until April.

The end of April???? That's 4-5 weeks away. I hope YOU last that long. Mares are coming in season now and he could become your worst nightmare by the time the vet gets there. Is the vet really that busy that he/she can't come for 4-5 weeks???

Not going to jump on you, but will say this, I was going to take my guy in this week (as in as soon as I made up my mind, he was going to be getting snipped b/c I want to beat the BUGS!!) and called and to my disappointment found out even though he gets his annual tetanus, and wasn't due for it until May, he needed the EWE/T shot before they would to it, and at least 10 days for the shot to kick in. So my plans got side tracked a bit and now he is going April 4th and I'm still praying the bugs hold off some

So, get his tet shot if you havent already and depending on where you are you may want to get it done sooner to avoid the bugs!

SJUSA, very interesting...any idea when would be a good time based on the moon?

The vet can do it next week, but we still have 1000 feet of snow on the ground ... and it is still cold out there (-10 last night). We prefer to wait a couple of weeks to let the snow melt ant the temperature rise above 0 at night.

Plus, we have to separate the 2 colts a couple of days before the surgery but the barn owner does not have any stall left. He will biuld 2 for the purpose.

So, can't do it before the end of april.

Cross fingers that my colt will remain an angel !

During my many years as a horse husband, a common topic of conversation among us horse husbands was what seemed to us to be the obsessive delight the women took in getting their colts gelded. (Looking back there did and does seem to be a lot more animation about doing this than, say, with other mundane procedures such as getting teeth floated or dealing with abscesses...)

Having in recent years seen what a handful stallions can be, however, I certainly have a better appreciation than I once did for the desirability in most cases of gelding.

I understand the safety issues and having been through puberty myself, the simple fact that before and after are like two different worlds in terms of attitude.

That said, while testosterone may well cause unwanted behavioral changes, my understanding is that it also causes lifelong physical and muscling changes that may not be all that bad if allowed to go on for a while before cutting.

Judging from the differences I've seen in the later-life engagement and weight distribution male housepets if they are neutered early or late, I think I'd at least consider taking your time.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

I have two colts to geld. We gave the tetanus shots on Monday of this week and they will be gelded 11 days later. It is getting warm here, mostly in the 70s, and I wish I had it done a month earlier, but then we could be still getting rain.

There are narrow windows of opportunity to do this, trying to avoid mud and flies.

Actually, I understood that gelding younger was better, as it seems that earlier gelded horses are often taller than their later-gelded counterparts. I am also looking at pics of my gelding while still on the track - he was on hormones, and his face looks much more stallion-like then than it does now that he`s been off the track for a couple of years.
    Does anybody have any concrete science to back this up? In other words, does the bulk/muscling of an entire male diminish as their testosterone reduces after gelding? Interested to know!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I just had one done yesterday -- he will be 2 in May, so it was long overdue. His behavior was fairly kind, but in the most recent weeks he WAS trying to breed the mares that would let him.

Luckily for all concerned, he is WAY too small (little Arab x) and the one mare who let him give it a whirl was my 16.1hh Hanoverian. I watched while he attempted it several time and there was no way "tab A" could make it to "slot B". It was pretty funny watching it...like a poodle going after a Great Dane.

Anyway, I digress. I had made the first appointment 2 weeks ago and the vet advised me to cancel because of the cold, rainy weather. The drugs they give them to knock them out mess with the colt's thermoregulation system for several hours after the procedure, so chilling can be a real problem.

Yesterday, went we finally did the deed, it had snowed 2 inches in the night. But the weather was suppose to get up to 40 degrees, so we gelded in the stall, blanketed him afterwards and left him in all night with a buddy. This AM I turned them both out and he looks fine -- very little bleeding, but still walking kind of ouchy.

And my vet gave the tetnus shot just prior (like 15 minutes) to the gelding -- she said that would be fine.

Either way, I would recommend you do it as SOON as weather permits -- the other posters are correct, in that there is no reason to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    SJUSA, very interesting...any idea when would be a good time based on the moon?
    I'm looking at the Thoroughbred Times for March which says "The ancient practice of astrology holds that certain tasks are best performed according to the signs of the zodiac. Favorable times for weaning are Sagittarius (thighs), Capricorn (knees), and Pisces (feet), while castration is said to cause less bleeding when performed in the sign of Pisces (feet).

I'm not a "what's your sign" person, so I had to search for a zodiac calendar. The days Pisces is noted for March 2008 are 6 and 7. April 2008 is 3 and 4.

This is all explained in The Farmers Almanac and the Thoroughbred Times has it in every issue for the current month.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

All of my colts got their tetanus shot at gelding. Never, ever have I been told to get it 10 days or more before their appointment.