The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I think it sounds "stingy," TR! I personally own 7 pairs of field boots (granted, 3 of them are my old boots that I've retired but hung onto because I'm a packrat ). I have 4 pairs of "show" boots despite the fact that I school daily in my half chaps (of which I have 4 pair) or custom chaps (of which I have 3).

Oh man, I SERIOUSLY need this support group!
    I think we're going to have to have an intervention for you!

I think you're dangerously close to the "Collier" syndrome.

I worry about you. Is anyone geographically close to PNWJumper?

T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    *raising hand*

Guess I'll join. I got 4 (and yes I said 4) SmartPak shipments just this week. Now, one of them was my actual SmartPak supplements. I know, I'm sad.

Hubby actually made a comment about it last night... and he NEVER says anything.

And I'm going to my first show tomorrow (just our local one at the barn) in 2 years. Tried my show helmet on last night... it doesn't fit. Cut my hair shorter. Good lord. I know I can show in my schooling helmet (Troxel) but it's taking everything I have not to stop by the local tack shop later today.

Hey good luck at the show!

I think self mutilation (cutting hair) is a little too extreme. You can go get a new helmet, just be strong and stay on track - just buy what you NEED and get out of there!

Oh but smarkpack has free shipping so it justified!!!

I am proud to say I have prevented myself from bidding on multipal listing of hunt coats on ebay.... Yah I think I'm winning that battle....

But I have been eyeing some tall boots. If only I could resist those!!! God give the strengh I need to over come these rash impluses!!!

Tidy were you not looking for a new scooter? Thats what you should be looking for not a new car!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I admit I'm powerless over Judy's Tack Shop, Mary's Tack Shop
    Hadfield's and the Farm House are my weaknesses.

I hadn't been to WEF since I last showed there in 2000, and I went down to play tourist (and pick up Zifu! ). I went into Hadfield's Cindy immediately recognized me, confirmed that my, ahem, custom ratcatcher measurements were of course! still available and why yes, that swatch would look lovely with my brown coat... and so 15 minutes later I was $185 poorer, but with the perfect peach shirt to add to my collection of 15 shirts. Sigh, I NEED this group.
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

Hey good luck at the show!

I think self mutilation (cutting hair) is a little too extreme. You can go get a new helmet, just be strong and stay on track - just buy what you NEED and get out of there!
    I guess I should have thought about my show helmet before I cut my hair. Just never dawned on me since I haven't shown in 2 years! Got tired of it being long and I like it shorter in the warmer months... easier to deal with.

I can justify buying a new helmet as I can put the current one on ebay. The sad thing is? I bought this helmet right before Stitch got hurt. So I've never even worn it!

I'm serious about making this a year long thing. There is nothing I need for my horses outside of consumables as previously mentioned.

I admit I'm powerless over Judy's Tack Shop, Mary's Tack Shop and my friend's custom blanket business (which I'm a dealer - so it's really hard not to order something when someone else orders something I'd like to have as well).

I admitted to myself and to god that I have a problem.

One day at a time. It's day two and I'm feeling good!
    omg no wonder you've got a problem!! I dont think Id survive if I was a dealer for a custom blanket business!!!
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post

Tidy were you not looking for a new scooter? Thats what you should be looking for not a new car!
    MY SCOOTER! I'm still trying to find one. KY Spring shows are coming up and I don't have a Scooter! I've got 2 bicycles though, so I really don't NEED a scooter! Do I? Plus, I'm a in a little better with my trainers so maybe they will let me ride around in the golf carts with them this year? LOL.

And the BMW thing, oh my god, now there's something I really don't need. But oh, how I WANT one. I want new pastures more than I want a car, so fencing it is. Tough choices I have to make. BUT you can't drive a fence rail 80MPH down interstate 75 now can you? Ugg. I must stop thinking of it.

Oh, the custom blanket business, I just ordered 4 rain sheets for a friend. I wanted to get 2 for myself. I did not. It was so hard. I might cave though when I see hers. That will really be the day I need support from you all!

So I'm thinking this thread would be a really bad place to point out that Edgewood now has it's own eBay closeout store...

I'm such an enabler. But I can't bear to get rid of any of my necessary stuff because I WILL have a horse again someday! It may be in 5 years, but eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    So I'm thinking this thread would be a really bad place to point out that Edgewood now has it's own eBay closeout store...
    LulaBell,

That's like going to a AA meeting with a bottle of Jack!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    I may need two or three support groups if I have to give up bags and shoes, too.

(Case in point: 2 saddles, 5 bridles, 2 mgales, 4 girths...and that is just the beginning. All big horse sized. Number of horses? None. Current mount? A small pony.)

Please, could we start with baby steps, maybe?

I mean, I am all for limiting some of my excesses when it comes to tack and riding clothes, for sure. It has gotten a bit out of control.

But if I have to give up bags and shoes at the same time... I might just have to fold right now. I can only take so much deprivation at a time!!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Please, could we start with baby steps, maybe?

I mean, I am all for limiting some of my excesses when it comes to tack and riding clothes, for sure. It has gotten a bit out of control.

But if I have to give up bags and shoes at the same time... I might just have to fold right now. I can only take so much deprivation at a time!!!
    Let's just keep this horse related. No need to go overboard!

Okay, I was relatively good.

Went to the tack shop to pick up a new show helmet.

Ended up with:

1) New show helmet
    2) New schooling helmet (really did need one as my current is almost 4 years old and though I've never fallen on my head, I know I've dropped it a few times and the padding is a bit flattened)
    3) Dr. Bristol Bit (going to give this a try for o/f as I've been needing a little bit more "umph" than the french link)

So..... how did I do?

THE BEVAL SALE... you don't know how hard it was to ignore that! All those advertisements...

Should we give out 30 day chips for those of us who can make it that long?

Would having custom made COTH 30 day 90 day and 12 month chips still be shopping?
    I can imagine. I couldn't ignore! I haven't bought anything horsie in 3 weeks so I am proud of myself. It is hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    Okay, I was relatively good.

Went to the tack shop to pick up a new show helmet.

Ended up with:

1) New show helmet
    2) New schooling helmet (really did need one as my current is almost 4 years old and though I've never fallen on my head, I know I've dropped it a few times and the padding is a bit flattened)
    3) Dr. Bristol Bit (going to give this a try for o/f as I've been needing a little bit more "umph" than the french link)

So..... how did I do?

Hummm, that's only 2 additional items. Did you spend less than 2 times the amount you'd originally planned for? If so than that's probably okay. Is this rationalizing at it's best?

I'm in Tidy

I will not buy a horse before I have sold one.....

I will also avoid Ebay.....

I will not walk into the saddle places at shows, or the tack shops, or the custom monogramming places, or the boot sellers, or the blah blah blah.....

I will not go near my local tack shop during their twice yearly "super sale"

I will not OPEN the new Dover catalogue

I will not purchase another set of monogrammed show pads.....

I will not buy another running martingale.....

I will NEVER meet up with PNWJumper as she and I have a frighteningly similar addiction to boots, chaps, etc.....

Hummm, that's only 2 additional items. Did you spend less than 2 times the amount you'd originally planned for? If so than that's probably okay. Is this rationalizing at it's best?
    Yes. The show helmet was the most expensive item. I got the CO Wellington Classic. The schooling one was a Tipperary Sportage helmet. And the bit was a Korsteel so reasonable.

So I guess I'm good. But the other items were needed and have been on my "need" list.

Now the SmartPak orders I received this past week (all 4 of them)? Some items were needed but some, not so much.

But I am done... I promise.

And I have a good bunch of stuff I'm putting on Ebay real soon to offset the latest costs.

Quote Originally Posted by MissIndependence View Post
    I'm in Tidy

I will not buy a horse before I have sold one.....

I will also avoid Ebay.....

I will not walk into the saddle places at shows, or the tack shops, or the custom monogramming places, or the boot sellers, or the blah blah blah.....

I will not go near my local tack shop during their twice yearly "super sale"

I will not OPEN the new Dover catalogue

I will not purchase another set of monogrammed show pads.....

I will not buy another running martingale.....

I will NEVER meet up with PNWJumper as she and I have a frighteningly similar addiction to boots, chaps, etc.....
    But can you imagine the serious fun we could have if turned loose in a tack shop together???

Oh my god a shopping trip together? That never occurred to me.

MissIndependence and I will be horse showing together in KY this year... PNWJumper, you may HAVE to take a trip out! I'm sure we could line up a horse for you to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoredHares View Post
    What's this Bit N Barter Board??? That sounds.......inviting
    Ssshhh, don't tell: http://bitsandbarter.proboards74.com/index.cgi

Free ads so you can SELL/TRADE....yeah, right....all the stuff you've collected. Naturally this will lead to searching for other stuff you want and so starts the whole cycle over again.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The custom blanket order came today. I was shipped the wrong thing. I received 4 winter stable blankets they were supposed to be rain sheets. They are super nice! Navy blue with hunter trim! Sizes 2 80s, 1 82 & 1 84. I could probably use these myself. I am pondering keeping them myself.

I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE BLANKETS, but I have 4 horses and there are 4 blankets.

What should I do?
    Keep them?
    Send them back?
    Sell 'em on ebay?
    If the 80s are big enough to fit my two smaller horses oh, oh, I might be in trouble.
    What if the husband finds yet another big box full of blankets?