The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

At least all of you have a good excuse to buy horse stuff, you all have horses. Me, I don't even own a horse and I have 3 bridles, 6 girths, numerous saddle pads, etc. My trainer always laughs and says, "Now what did you buy?" I've been good the last month. I only bought a saddle pad and a bridle bag. I am still trying to recover from the Beval sale in which I bought a bridle, rubber reins, TS breeches and Ariat paddock boots (well I needed new paddock boots because my old ones were falling apart)

So yep, I want to join the club. I need help

I was a pretty conservitive shopper, I'd buy countless pairs of boots (horse is a hunter, and doesn't wear boots, showing or at home ) and saddle pads, and various corrections pads, but aside from that I was pretty good. Some of my stuff still has tags and has just been sitting. I have my own private tack room in one of my closets in my room. Then my mom and I share one at the barn plus my 3 tack trunks in front of Soldier's stall, 3 more upstairs, a tack room in our basement and stuff in the trailer. And of course my Butet that I can't part with but haven't ridden in in 6 months. My mom certainly doesn't help this problem! She is just as bad, if not worse than I am.

Then I discovered while changing Soldier's Smartpak that our Smartpak account is linked to my mom's credit card automatically! All I have to do is sign in, click confirm order and I'm all set. My mom wonders why I leave money for her on the counter in the AM with a note "I owe you".

The new thing I want is a full set of back on track no-bows and a back on track scrim sheet. My mom agreed that if I share it with her she'll pay for half. Oh and the Sergio Grasso field boots.

I lose- Just ordered the BOT sheet+wraps.
    Last edited by Soldier06; Mar. 27, 2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AHorseSomeDay View Post
    At least all of you have a good excuse to buy horse stuff, you all have horses. Me, I don't even own a horse and I have 3 bridles, 6 girths, numerous saddle pads, etc. My trainer always laughs and says, "Now what did you buy?" I've been good the last month. I only bought a saddle pad and a bridle bag. I am still trying to recover from the Beval sale in which I bought a bridle, rubber reins, TS breeches and Ariat paddock boots (well I needed new paddock boots because my old ones were falling apart)

So yep, I want to join the club. I need help

THE BEVAL SALE... you don't know how hard it was to ignore that! All those advertisements...

Should we give out 30 day chips for those of us who can make it that long?

Would having custom made COTH 30 day 90 day and 12 month chips still be shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    THE BEVAL SALE... you don't know how hard it was to ignore that! All those advertisements...

Should we give out 30 day chips for those of us who can make it that long?

Would having custom made COTH 30 day 90 day and 12 month chips still be shopping?
    no not at all!!
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I
    I will not spend endless dollars on pictures at horseshows.
    I was right there with you until this one, but since I declared my 2008 goal not to be a Point Hoor, but instead to get the perfect picture, I'm afraid I'm out.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by MissintheSouth View Post
    But I think, given the attitude of the COTH BB, we would just end up justifying eachothers habits rather than stopping them.

But here goes...

I will not continue to look at CANTER, Kimberly Clark's website, and equine.com b/c I know that I cannot and should not purchase a horse when I live in S FL with no turnout and $17/bale hay. I love my lease, I love my lease... even though she added a really cute 16.2h OTTB this morning that just looks like my next horse. Darnit.
    OH! I soooooo want that horse!

And it is good to know that I am seriously behind in my boot shopping - if 3 pair are a necessity then I must get that new pair I've been eyeing right away!!!

Wait a minute - what is this thread about again?

Quote Originally Posted by hedmbl View Post
    Actually yes it is a question of need! haha According to many BNT I've ridden with you must have at least 3 pairs of functional field boots when showing/competing. Apparently it's some sort of unspoken rule that if one pair breaks the back ups will too so therefore you must back up your back ups. I will stop enabling now.
    I also happen to know this is true with tennis raquets, found out upon asking why my dad had 3 of the same raquet in the car.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Maybe I can help...

To help all of you shop a holics ease your pain, send me a pm, and I'll give you my mailing address. You can send me all of the things you really don't need or use and I put it to good use. My daughter is one of those decent riders on a TB in WB-land riding on a budget and you can tell all your friends that you helped a struggling rider.

I'm just trying to help;-)

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I was right there with you until this one, but since I declared my 2008 goal not to be a Point Hoor, but instead to get the perfect picture, I'm afraid I'm out.
    Now, now DMK... I am quite sure that one perfect picture would hardly disqualify you from our little group! Think of it as cutting down substantially on pictures, say, from 4 or 5 per show...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

DMK, 1 or 2 pictures per show is fine. I mean, we're not a sufferage group or anything!
    We've got to make our goals obtainable.

Yeah, I need help on keeping away from Hermes. It has become an absolute addiction.

First, it was the saddle.
    Then it was a matching fleece saddle pad (absolutely love it and have gotten so many compliments on it from judges).
    Then it was the scarf.
    Then another scarf...and 10 more.
    Then a garden party tote.
    Then another garden party tote.
    Now a birkin.
    Oh, and the bridle I just ordered. But, I neeeeeded it to match the saddle. Because my 18 yr old lawn ornament was embarassed with mismatched tack.

None of it from ebay, though. All of it from Chicago's Oak St. store. And I always entice my hubby to go with because I will "buy" him lunch on his AMEX.

He's so gullible. He he he.
    Illinois Equine Attorney - www.zipptocourt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    Yeah, I need help on keeping away from Hermes. It has become an absolute addiction.

Now a birkin.
    I may need two or three support groups if I have to give up bags and shoes, too.

(Case in point: 2 saddles, 5 bridles, 2 mgales, 4 girths...and that is just the beginning. All big horse sized. Number of horses? None. Current mount? A small pony.)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Wow, you guys need to read back these posts...and get a grip.But then again, I do know that this is a support group....so I am hoping it helps all of you shoppers. Maybe donate some of your excesses. Or read the threads about people struggling to pay for hay and grain. Just trying to help......

I will not buy another horse
    I will not buy another horse
    I will not buy another horse!

DMK, 1 or 2 pictures per show is fine. I mean, we're not a sufferage group or anything! We've got to make our goals obtainable.
    Oh good... Whew! I'm in!

Wait... What was on the rest of that list?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

If I don't really need it, then I don't buy it. That is my mantra. It is amazing how much waste we Americans create. No wonder there is a credit crunch - maybe it will teach Americans how not to spend.

ooooh, way to drag down a lighthearted, fun thread... <clap, clap>

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    ooooh, way to drag down a lighthearted, fun thread... <clap, clap>

My thoughts exactly. Both of those posts are missing the point of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    If I don't really need it, then I don't buy it. That is my mantra. It is amazing how much waste we Americans create. No wonder there is a credit crunch - maybe it will teach Americans how not to spend.
    Well see then, you don't need to join our support group. You've got it covered.

I'm serious about making this a year long thing. There is nothing I need for my horses outside of consumables as previously mentioned.

I admit I'm powerless over Judy's Tack Shop, Mary's Tack Shop and my friend's custom blanket business (which I'm a dealer - so it's really hard not to order something when someone else orders something I'd like to have as well).

I admitted to myself and to god that I have a problem.

One day at a time. It's day two and I'm feeling good!

*raising hand*

Guess I'll join. I got 4 (and yes I said 4) SmartPak shipments just this week. Now, one of them was my actual SmartPak supplements. I know, I'm sad.

Hubby actually made a comment about it last night... and he NEVER says anything.

And I'm going to my first show tomorrow (just our local one at the barn) in 2 years. Tried my show helmet on last night... it doesn't fit. Cut my hair shorter. Good lord. I know I can show in my schooling helmet (Troxel) but it's taking everything I have not to stop by the local tack shop later today.