The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation Support Group for 2008? (Enablers Not-So-Anonymous)

I need a support group. Anyone out there trying to do that same thing? Let's make a group and help each other to be strong!

I will not purchase unneccessary items.
    I will not surcome to the advertising from every tack shop on the planet that finds it way to my inbox and my postal mail box.
    I will try to place some of my unused equipment on ebay and get rid of it.
    I will not horde new open front jumping boots in my cabinets.
    I will not buy everything in quantities of 2 or more so that my horses match.
    I will not spend endless dollars on pictures at horseshows.
    I will be stronger than my urges to buy things.

-this morning I was on Automall.com shopping for a BMW 7 series. Am I out of my cotton picking mind? I only drive once or twice a week and that usually involves pulling the horse trailer.

HELP me!
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; May. 22, 2008 at 02:57 PM.

Default I would join!

But I think, given the attitude of the COTH BB, we would just end up justifying eachothers habits rather than stopping them.

But here goes...

I will not continue to look at CANTER, Kimberly Clark's website, and equine.com b/c I know that I cannot and should not purchase a horse when I live in S FL with no turnout and $17/bale hay. I love my lease, I love my lease... even though she added a really cute 16.2h OTTB this morning that just looks like my next horse. Darnit.

I will supress my urge to collect every TS schooling breech color that they make...

I will not buy ANOTHER full set of open front boots...

I will not click on the inviting "Smart Pak" icon that is flashing just to the right of my cursor on this website...

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Is there any hope for us? LOL

I will join ... I have been on a huge Ebay binge lately. Last night I realized that I have spent about two grand recently "saving" all this money with great deals on ... um... a lot of stuff that I don't really need. But oh, the new Royal Rider stirrups were a great price, and new in the box! And I had to have a new regular Thinline pad... after finding that the first one I bought, which had the sheepskin (also a great deal of course!) was just too thick to fit comfortably under my Antares - which really does fit quite well and needs no special padding - but the the promise of eliminating *my* back pain was just too good to resist (I have to admit, it did work... so I do feel justified in buying another!!) But then there was the new pair of Jimmy's reins... new old stock... you know, they're endangered now that Jimmy's has outsourced to India, and ...and... and...

*sigh* So yeah... I'm in. Sign me up
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Talking

LOL, I've been on a real eBay binge too lately! All of it non-HR stuff: A&F jeans, used LV bags, Hermes scarves....although I did bid on a seriously nice pair of Grand Prix field boots in just my size (like I needed a fourth pair). They went for $80, I think. And I do keep searching for rust TS in my size.

To keep this HR, I am planning to do another cleanout of the stuff stored in my trunk & trailer. Case in point~ do I really NEED 3 pairs of field boots, along with countless bridles, pads, wraps, etc. when I'm currently not riding? Did I mention I got a positive PG test this morning? So, no riding for me for a while! I guess that gives me a legitimate excuse not to horsey shop!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I should really clean out my ROOMS of tack. I don't know why I have to have 30+ blankets for 2 horses

I do not need a 8th pair of bell boots!

I do not need another show shirt

I DO need a new bridle (not really isn't 9 enough?)

I WANT rust breeches! Cannot find them though! - It's a good thing!

P>S> huntjumpsc I think a CONGRATS is needed here? YEAH! ...right? Yep, you should hang up your shopping spurs for a while

Default Oh! I want to join!

I will stay off of eBay.
    I will stay off of Tack of the Day.
    I don't need another saddle pad--monogrammed.
    I already have all of the colors they make in polo wraps--so I always 'match'.
    I most definitely do not need another pair of Edgewood fancy stitched white rubber reins! I'm a hunter rider for goodness sake! Never mind that it's 99 in July and their easier to clean (and match my pintos). I don't need them!
    I don't need another pair of Pikeur breeches. 10 are enough.
    I certainly don't need another pair of paddock boots!

Wow! Now I know why I'm always broke!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

I think I may need a support group when it comes to acquiring horses I managed to curb the tack problem when I began running out of room to put it all Not to mention I am constantly between homes (college student) and moving it around is terribly annoying.

Trot Left~ Hehe! Thanks! It's been a tough road for me & my DH...we had 2 m/c's last year, plus I lost my father, my pony, and had a kidney stone, all in 2007. We've been going to the fertility clinic 2 hours away since January, looks like 2008 is looking up at this point!

But...there IS going to be a problem in the future:
    "I will not buy more toddler size jods"
    "My child does NOT need another hunt coat"
    "I will refrain from bidding on the leadline saddle on eBay"

LOL!!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Help me too please!

I will not fill my closet with new items as soon as the old stuff is gone. It was sold for a REASON.

I will avoid ebay. I will avoid ebay. I will avoid the Bit N Barter Board. I will avoid ebay.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I'll bite on this one

I've been very proud of myself this year... I have been making conscious decisions to do significantly less shopping this year.

Since I bought my pony in the fall, and finally sat on him last friday he has earned his black fleece lined white roma full set of boots - so they will be on order shortly, but:

Now barely broke pony DOES NOT need a 3rd baker, or a 3rd winter blanket, and one rain sheet is enough right?

What I do need support with is... nearby welsh breeder is doing a massive herd dispersal internet auction so...

I DO NOT need another pony,
    I DO NOT need the really cute 14 hh mare who is currently in foal

because I DO NOT need a third pony (the baby) and I DO NOT need to then breed her to my friends fancy connemara stud,

because I DO NOT need a fourth pony (next year's baby)

Maybe Ebaying wasn't so bad after all *sigh*

The truest sign that I have a problem is that I keep reading everyone's posts and think "now THAT is what I need!"

I do not need anything referenced in any posts by other shopaholic COTHers....

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    LOL, I've been on a real eBay binge too lately! All of it non-HR stuff: A&F jeans, used LV bags, Hermes scarves....although I did bid on a seriously nice pair of Grand Prix field boots in just my size (like I needed a fourth pair). They went for $80, I think. And I do keep searching for rust TS in my size.

To keep this HR, I am planning to do another cleanout of the stuff stored in my trunk & trailer. Case in point~ do I really NEED 3 pairs of field boots, along with countless bridles, pads, wraps, etc. when I'm currently not riding? Did I mention I got a positive PG test this morning? So, no riding for me for a while! I guess that gives me a legitimate excuse not to horsey shop!
    Oooooh don't even get me *started* on the non-horsey stuff... do you mean that we are trying to give up THAT shopping too?!?!?!?

I am a big fan of the LV bags, too... and Hermes stuff... oh, yikes. This is going to be awful!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I'll play!

I will NOT click on links provided by "kind" COTHers to the cool new products they have. I swear that has led to way too many unnecessary purchases!

I will RESIST the urge to buy the horse I'm going to look at next weekend. I do NOT, I repeat, do NOT need another horse. I'm only going to look to make my friend happy. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! But he IS awfully cute.....)

After purchasing my back on track sheet and no bows not more than 10 minutes ago, I will NOT return to Tack of the Day again!

I will resist the urge to buy more open front boots (I have a thing...) at the shows this year. The 20-odd pairs that I already have are MORE than enough for my 3 or 4 show horses.

And the pictures at horseshows? Those are my major weakness. I buy at least 5 or 6 photos from every single show. I tell myself every time that I'm ONLY going to buy the "perfect" ones (because really, is there ever more than one or two of those?), and every freakin time I come home with anything even remotely decent.

And my final vow: I WILL keep a tight rein on my checkbook (and credit cards, and cash!) this year! (wait, wouldn't that mean not having horses at all?! )

I was going to join your support group. I really was.

But then I read through all of the other responses first, and found so many great ideas! Jimmy's on ebay? "Tack of the Day" - new to me! And off I went shopping...again.

Then to top it all off, my new SmartPak catalogue arrived and I saw that Mattes now makes custom square pads with the Mattes sheepskin *correction* pad built in! Oh happy day!!!

(sorry, I am an enabler.)
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

You all aren't really helping me you know!

Is there something weird about having 3 pairs of field boots? I have 3 pairs. I don't think it's a question of "need". !!!!

It's a compulsion.
    I'm going to try to go 30 days without buying anything outside of feed & bedding and anything medically neccessary.

Does breeding my mare count as medically neccessary cause I'm awaiting the breeding contract in the mail! LOL. I can't stop myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Help me too please!

I will not fill my closet with new items as soon as the old stuff is gone. It was sold for a REASON.

I will avoid ebay. I will avoid ebay. I will avoid the Bit N Barter Board. I will avoid ebay.
    What's this Bit N Barter Board??? That sounds.......inviting
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

I need to join this!! Ive been stuck on the couch due to recent surgery inhibiting me from work and riding so ebay and tack of the day have become my best friends. OF course my horse needs more pillow, standing, and polo wraps! Two sets is never enough! OF course he needs 2 of every blanket & sheet. Ebay is saving me so much money Two boxes have already shown up from horse loverz, with at least one more from there and 3 more from other locations. Im doomed!!!
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    You all aren't really helping me you know!

Is there something weird about having 3 pairs of field boots? I have 3 pairs. I don't think it's a question of "need". !!!!

It's a compulsion.
    I'm going to try to go 30 days without buying anything outside of feed & bedding and anything medically neccessary.

Does breeding my mare count as medically neccessary cause I'm awaiting the breeding contract in the mail! LOL. I can't stop myself.
    I think it sounds "stingy," TR! I personally own 7 pairs of field boots (granted, 3 of them are my old boots that I've retired but hung onto because I'm a packrat ). I have 4 pairs of "show" boots despite the fact that I school daily in my half chaps (of which I have 4 pair) or custom chaps (of which I have 3).

Oh man, I SERIOUSLY need this support group!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post

Actually yes it is a question of need! haha According to many BNT I've ridden with you must have at least 3 pairs of functional field boots when showing/competing. Apparently it's some sort of unspoken rule that if one pair breaks the back ups will too so therefore you must back up your back ups. I will stop enabling now.